Open Carry Question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Lauren3323
Posts in topic: 2

Open Carry Question

Post by Lauren3323 »

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I couldn't find a more specific open carry discussion and I'm not very familiar with the search boolean operators. I'm wondering if on 1 Jan 16 when open carry becomes legal if that means I can be a little more "lax" with my concealment. I don't plan to carry openly often if at all, but as a female concealment is sometimes difficult due to the fit of my clothing. Will open carry excuse complete concealment? Meaning will it be ok if the gun is printing or if I need to adjust to a more comfortable position thus briefly exposing the gun? I would like to wear jeans with a t-shirt covering the gun but I'm very skinny so this doesn't work very well under the current concealment requirements. Does it either have to be completely open or completely concealed or will something halfway be excusable when open carry starts? Thanks in advance!

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Open Carry Question

Post by Vol Texan »

Lauren3323 wrote:Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I couldn't find a more specific open carry discussion and I'm not very familiar with the search boolean operators. I'm wondering if on 1 Jan 16 when open carry becomes legal if that means I can be a little more "lax" with my concealment. I don't plan to carry openly often if at all, but as a female concealment is sometimes difficult due to the fit of my clothing. Will open carry excuse complete concealment? Meaning will it be ok if the gun is printing or if I need to adjust to a more comfortable position thus briefly exposing the gun? I would like to wear jeans with a t-shirt covering the gun but I'm very skinny so this doesn't work very well under the current concealment requirements. Does it either have to be completely open or completely concealed or will something halfway be excusable when open carry starts? Thanks in advance!
Absolutely. Open carry will excuse complete concealment, as long as it is in a shoulder or belt holster. If you're using a Flashbang, ankle, etc, then that will not suffice.

And...printing is not a problem, even now. The average person does not know what that bulge is on your side at three o'clock. If they do comment on it, tell them, "it's personal,", and watch how quickly they drop the subject. Or tell them it is a medical device (and you'll get the same result). Or, my favorite...I tell them that it's my Emergency Ventilator. (No, I don't use that one often, but have, on occasion.)

I suggest you check out the http://www.youtube.com/user/faliaphotography Youtube Channel. She seems to have a lot of ideas for concealment for a lady.
Last edited by Vol Texan on Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

With both concealed and open carry being legal, it will not matter unless your in a place that has a 30.06 sign but no 30.07. You will have to conceal in that place to avoid trespassing.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Taypo »

Javier730 wrote:With both concealed and open carry being legal, it will not matter unless your in a place that has a 30.06 sign but no 30.07. You will have to conceal in that place to avoid trespassing.
You got that one backwards.

30.06 = No Concealed
30.07 = No Open

Topic author
Lauren3323

Post by Lauren3323 »

Does an IWB holster count as a belt holster? I have a convertible belt holster that works IWB as well as OWB, but I prefer my holster made just for IWB.

RiderDean

Post by RiderDean »

I have a relevant questions to this topic. After Jan 1 with OC in affect, Can I do the following?

-While in public with no 30.6 or 30.7 signs, move my Holstered Pistol from one position on my person to another, while holding the holstered weapon only in my hand? (I'm thinking parking lot next to my car not the waiting line at a bank)
-Stand by the open door of my vehicle, reach in, retrieve my holstered pistol and clip it onto my belt in a canceled or OC position?

dlh

Post by dlh »

I recently upgraded my conceal carry from a Ruger .380 LCP to a Glock 26 with a Pearce Grip. Problem is the Glock is somewhat larger and more difficult to conceal. I put the Glock in an inside the waistband holster but then put it in my front pocket which is quite baggy on my khaki pants. I was worried folks could still see the Pearce Grip so I cut a piece of soft leather and put over the handle. All is good now.

dlh
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

joelamosobadiah

Post by joelamosobadiah »

RiderDean wrote:I have a relevant questions to this topic. After Jan 1 with OC in affect, Can I do the following?

-While in public with no 30.6 or 30.7 signs, move my Holstered Pistol from one position on my person to another, while holding the holstered weapon only in my hand? (I'm thinking parking lot next to my car not the waiting line at a bank)
-Stand by the open door of my vehicle, reach in, retrieve my holstered pistol and clip it onto my belt in a canceled or OC position?
Somebody will come along and quote the specific statutes, but let me say regardless of legality these both sound like unwise choices...

Solution to both of these situations is to either sit in your vehicle and position the pistol as needed or find a more secluded area than a public parking lot. While I doubt either of these get you criminal charges, they could easily cause undue panic and assumptions to be made.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

dlh wrote:I recently upgraded my conceal carry from a Ruger .380 LCP to a Glock 26 with a Pearce Grip. Problem is the Glock is somewhat larger and more difficult to conceal. I put the Glock in an inside the waistband holster but then put it in my front pocket which is quite baggy on my khaki pants. I was worried folks could still see the Pearce Grip so I cut a piece of soft leather and put over the handle. All is good now.

dlh
I say this with no disrespect intended, but if you're having a hard time hiding a 26, you may want to reevaluate your carry system. Good belt, good holster, dress around the gun.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Lauren3323 wrote:Does an IWB holster count as a belt holster? I have a convertible belt holster that works IWB as well as OWB, but I prefer my holster made just for IWB.
Absolutely. Good choice with a dedicated IWB, by the way. The all in one style holsters tend to be mediocre at everything, rather than good at one particular style of carry.

dlh

Post by dlh »

Taypo wrote:
dlh wrote:I recently upgraded my conceal carry from a Ruger .380 LCP to a Glock 26 with a Pearce Grip. Problem is the Glock is somewhat larger and more difficult to conceal. I put the Glock in an inside the waistband holster but then put it in my front pocket which is quite baggy on my khaki pants. I was worried folks could still see the Pearce Grip so I cut a piece of soft leather and put over the handle. All is good now.

dlh
I say this with no disrespect intended, but if you're having a hard time hiding a 26, you may want to reevaluate your carry system. Good belt, good holster, dress around the gun.
No problem dressing around an inside the waist-band holster in the winter (jacket, sweater, sports coat, etc.) but this is Texas..in the summer time...
so I prefer just to put it in my front pocket until the cooler weather hits. WHEN is that cooler weather coming by the way? :???:

dlh

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

dlh wrote:
Taypo wrote:

dlh
No problem dressing around an inside the waist-band holster in the winter (jacket, sweater, sports coat, etc.) but this is Texas..in the summer time...
so I prefer just to put it in my front pocket until the cooler weather hits. WHEN is that cooler weather coming by the way? :???:

dlh
Again, not saying you're doing anything wrong but I'm wearing a full size 1911 IWB with shorts and a polo right now. It can be done.

I'm thinking this is gonna be one of the 90+ degrees into late October years. We're getting paid back for the relatively mild summer by having it drag out into fall.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Taypo wrote:Again, not saying you're doing anything wrong but I'm wearing a full size 1911 IWB with shorts and a polo right now. It can be done.
I am with you Taypo
I carry and M&P 45cal (full size) IWB, with shorts and an "Old Navy" T-shirt - regular sized, not over sized and it conceals perfectly.
I have carried this way for a few years, no one has ever noticed.

if someone is conceal carrying, they need to get a "REAL" gun belt, not just a belt or not even just a stiff belt
They also need a "real" concealed carry holster, not something like a nylon "Uncle Mikes" holster.

With the proper equipment, concealment is easy!
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

dlh

Post by dlh »

When I go to restaurants, movies, etc. I usually wear a knit pull-over shirt that I tuck into my khaki pants with my pants belt exposed--hence the problem. Now that I am retired I may opt for the more sloppy look with a t-shirt worn over my pants or shorts which would eliminate the problem. ;-)

dlh

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

dlh wrote:Now that I am retired I may opt for the more sloppy look with a t-shirt worn over my pants or shorts which would eliminate the problem
With a Crossbreed or Comp-Tac, Max-Tuck or many other manufacturers of holsters, many are for IWB which you can wear with tucked shirts.

I do not always wear shorts and a T-shirt as my post may have lead you to believe, I also wear dress shirts and Golf shirts (tucked in) and the weapon hides well.
I do try to "poof" out the area around my waistline to 'hide' more of the grip, just in case.

But as others have said in many posts, most people have no clue.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”