My HUBBY is hesitant!

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
PPM
Posts in topic: 5

My HUBBY is hesitant!

Post by PPM »

Here's a "twist" for you to consider. My hubby is almost 70 and says he'd LIKE to take the CHL class — but is "afraid that he'd be laughed out of the room" because of his age. Which of you folks were over 60 when you took the course the first time?

Also, who is the oldest person on this forum? (We'll start at 59...because that's MY age).

I'd be interested to know what words you might have to share with him that might serve as encouragement to take the class.

Thanks!
PPM
(Pistol Packin' Momma)
Otherwise known as "Dickson"
Thunder Tactical Shooters

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nitrogen »

There was an 85 year old guy in my CHL class, so I think he'd be fine.
He could barely walk, but boy could he shoot!
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

I'd tell PPPoppa about this article:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/perry/perry20.html
Last Saturday, 2 men walked into a Tulsa-area grocery store. The store is named Homeland Grocery Store, and is one of 50 regional Homeland groceries throughout Oklahoma.

One of the men pointed a gun at the people in the store. He demanded money.

A 75-year-old man in a check-out line drew his concealed-carry gun and shot the armed robber.
You think anyone laughed at that septuagenarian?

Kevin

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

I am 65 will be 66 in June and have 70+ in my classes all the time.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by longtooth »

My Mother is 75 now. She was 73 when she took the class. About 4 yr ago I sold a Ruger P85 to an 85 yr old gentleman that was one of the 1st in our county to get a CHL. He went to one of the big cities. I believe I remember reading on the Texas web site that 93 is the oldest CHL issued. I will see if I can find it again. Edit: can't remember the web site. If one of you computer personalities will give me the address I will write it down this time. :oops: :roll:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Commander

CHLs over age 70

Post by Commander »

The website is

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... aphics.htm

There are 27,395 CHLs issued to persons aged 70 and over. There is one 100 year old with a CHL.
"Happiness is a warm gun" - The Beatles - 1969

Commander

Topic author
PPM

Post by PPM »

Thanks, guys! I've printed your responses and handed 'em to him. After he read 'em, I then told him that his excuse was now GONE. . Ah, well.... He's more prone to TALK ABOUT doing things...than he is to actually DO 'EM!

He's older than that number says! :cry: If he decided to actually TAKE the class, I'll certainly post it!

Again, thanks for your help!
PPM
(Pistol Packin' Momma)

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

PPM-

A few weeks ago I had an 86 year old in my class. He had Parkinson's, and his hands shook so badly that I filled out his paperwork for him and just had him sign it. He was very afraid of the range qualification, so I let him qualify by himself after the rest of the class was done. He had absolutely NO problem shooting his WWII era 1911, although I did load his magazines for him.

No one laughed at him. And they all listened when we got to "Use of Force" and he told them what it is REALLY like to take someone else's life. He was a gem. I hope I have the privilege of doing his NEXT renewal!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

llwatson wrote:No one laughed at him. And they all listened when we got to "Use of Force" and he told them what it is REALLY like to take someone else's life. He was a gem. I hope I have the privilege of doing his NEXT renewal!
You could definitly learn a lot from someone like that...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Lodge2004

Post by Lodge2004 »

My step-father recently took the CHL class and is pushing 70 himself. Health issues make it difficult for him to load magazines. He retired many years ago after a 20+ career in the Air Force, the last 10 or so being spent as a drill sergeant at Camp Bullis teaching recruits how to shoot. Even with his physical challenges, I'd be very confident with him covering my six.

ghentry

Post by ghentry »

I don't think I would react too kindly to someone in a class that caused a problem for a senior. With fewer physical ability to defend themselves, who else needs to be able to protect themselves more than a senior citizen?

No4Mk1

Post by No4Mk1 »

Just took a renewal today. Most of the class were first-timers, and I would say 15-20% of them were 60+. I didn't think twice about anyone's age, gender, race, or any other factor, and doubt anyone else did either. I was just glad to see so many like-minded citizens taking responsibility for their safety and that of their family!!
The beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair.

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com

Topic author
PPM

Post by PPM »

You have all been most helpful! I'd say that NOW...it's up to HIM. I can only encourage him so much but, as you know, you have to make up your own mind AND...take that first step yourself.

I knew that I could count on you for some fantastic support and input. Let's consider the topic closed at this point.

Thanks!
PPM
(Pistol Packin' Momma)

Annie

Post by Annie »

I just joined the local conservation club so that I can use the range anytime I like. Twice a week they have "shotgun shoot" night.
There's a lady there who just turned 86. She just got interested about 6 or 7 years ago when her husband passed away. If she can learn to shoot a shotgun at 70...your DH can do a handgun at 60! :grin:

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Annie wrote:I just joined the local conservation club so that I can use the range anytime I like. Twice a week they have "shotgun shoot" night.
There's a lady there who just turned 86. She just got interested about 6 or 7 years ago when her husband passed away. If she can learn to shoot a shotgun at 70...your DH can do a handgun at 60! :grin:
I'vr asked this before, and no one will say.....What is a DH?
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Return to “Ladies”