Is it worth it, with all these restrictions?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Caponicus
Posts in topic: 1

Is it worth it, with all these restrictions?

Post by Caponicus »

First, an up-front apology: I simply couldn't find the right search terms to see how many places this has already been discussed in many other threads.

Newbie here. It recently occurred to me that I might want to go get a CHL license. We currently keep our gun in a gunvault and it pretty much serves as a "home invasion" thing. However, the more I think about it, the more it seems like I'd end up getting the CHL and pretty much NEVER being able to actually carry. I can imagine it getting to the point where it's simply such a gigantic pain to plan my day around the weapon that I'll end up just leaving it in the safe.

For example, work. Yes, I've seen the threads on that. I'm in the same situation many are: office worker where the company bans guns there AND in the parking garage, which really is the only place that's parkable anywhere near the place. My situation is slightly unique though: I actually commute by bicycle. So, 5 out of 7 days I'm either in my cubicle or riding to work or riding home. I'm more likely to get mugged on the ride home than any other time, I imagine, but I would NEVER have the gun!!

So, that leaves Saturday and Sunday. How do you avoid basically having to call ahead to each business you plan on visiting (or spending a bunch of time on your smartphone on the web) as you're going about your day? If you go out and the business doesn't allow guns, you're faced with a walk back to the car (or bike!) during which you're MOST at risk! What's the point?

lonewolf

Re: Is it worth it, with all these restrictions?

Post by lonewolf »

The truth is that CC is allowed in many more places than it is disallowed. The supermarket, the restaurant, etc, etc.....

Your particular circumstances may dictate more restrictions, but overall, I find it very easy to carry all day, every day, with the exception of work (when it stays in my car.) If I ride my motorcycle to work, I don't carry because the saddle bags are lockable, but more easily broken into and I can't access it there anyway while riding. I do carry when riding anywhere else, though. On the very few (and I mean VERY few) occasions I have met with a legal posting at an entrance, making the walk back to my car is not a problem. Odds are I will go elsewhere to spend my money. If that is not an option, I discreetly disarm, conduct my business and discreetly rearm when returning to the vehicle.

In other words, its really not a problem for me. You are kind of stuck with the work situation, and from your description that would be the case whether or not you commuted by car, helicopter or submarine. Its their policy. Their ballfield, their rules.

Do yourself a favor, as you conduct your daily business, keep an eye out for signs at places you frequent. I think you'll be surprised at just how few are posted or limited by statute. Personally I would not call ahead to them, as this may put ideas in someone's head. Most businesses simply don't realize that people carry in their establishments. That is good for us. Why put a bug in their ear? Let the ol' sleeping dog remain comfortably on the porch.....

Familiarize yourself with the statutes found on the DPS website and you'll be fine.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

Welcome Caponicus!

It is worth it to me. We have all had to walk back to the car. If I am with someone that does not know I carry or there are others around I will usually make up some other excuse. Unless you are resistant to change you will change your shopping habits to find what you want at other places that do not post 30.06 signs. Honestly, though, there aren't that many places that post 30.06 signs. Most restaurants and other businesses have the "unlicensed possession" sign.

Bicycle commute, very cool and yet unfortunate in this light. Even if a parking lot exclusion is passed you cannot leave it in your bicycle.

After not too long, carrying will become second nature and you will feel neked without it.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

terryg
Posts in topic: 3

Post by terryg »

Welcome to the forum!

I also cannot carry to and from work - and it is frustrating at times.
Caponicus wrote: How do you avoid basically having to call ahead to each business you plan on visiting (or spending a bunch of time on your smartphone on the web) as you're going about your day? If you go out and the business doesn't allow guns, you're faced with a walk back to the car (or bike!) during which you're MOST at risk! What's the point?
But you will be surprised how rare it is to find a properly posted business. Outside of work, the only places I have to disarm regularly are my daughter's schools for games and concerts, etc.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Welcome and Look here for a listing of known 30.06 postings throughout the state.

Good luck.

dicion
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dicion »

C-dub wrote: Most restaurants and other businesses have the "unlicensed possession" sign.
I don't believe I've EVER seen a restaurant, that has an 'unlicensed possession' sign ever have a 30.06 sign, or any other gunbusters sign for that matter.

I think most anti-gun owners, that when they get the package from TABC, think, "oh sweet, I don't have to buy any no-guns sign! They give me one for free!", and put it up, blissfully unaware that there are members of the public who are licensed. If you asked them who is 'licensed', they'd probably respond 'police officers, federal agents, etc' and never even think that you or I could be licensed as well.

I've come to Welcome the Blue 'unlicensed possession' signs as an excellent sign that they are the only 'no guns' related sign at a business. When I see one, I know I'm good to go :thumbs2:

terryg

Post by terryg »

dicion wrote:
C-dub wrote: Most restaurants and other businesses have the "unlicensed possession" sign.
I don't believe I've EVER seen a restaurant, that has an 'unlicensed possession' sign ever have a 30.06 sign, or any other gunbusters sign for that matter.

I think most anti-gun owners, that when they get the package from TABC, think, "oh sweet, I don't have to buy any no-guns sign! They give me one for free!", and put it up, blissfully unaware that there are members of the public who are licensed. If you asked them who is 'licensed', they'd probably respond 'police officers, federal agents, etc' and never even think that you or I could be licensed as well.

I've come to Welcome the Blue 'unlicensed possession' signs as an excellent sign that they are the only 'no guns' related sign at a business. When I see one, I know I'm good to go :thumbs2:
:iagree:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

dicion wrote:
I have not seen one post both either and didn't say I had.
Last edited by C-dub on Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Get the license. Having one doesn't mean having to carry, but it does mean being able to carry when circumstances permit it. Overall, you'll be happier having a CHL than not having one — although I grant you that it may not seem like it from where you sit today. You would be far from being the first member of this board who has gone through the same circumlocutions as you are now going through. I have yet to read any posts from anyone regretting their decision to go ahead and get their CHL once they finally went ahead and did it.

Other good reasons:
  1. because you can
  2. because a right not exercised can become a right lost
  3. because it gives you additional options
  4. because you can't fit a cop in your holster
  5. because it comes with a secret CHL decoder ring (just kidding!)
  6. because taking the time and making the effort will leave you more knowledgeable about your rights and responsibilities under the law, making you a better citizen
  7. because almost anything which is not either illegal or immoral and which expands the limits of your personal comfort envelope is liberating, and we need more freedom, not less of it.

I hope that helps.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Until I saw a 30.06 sign photo on here, I had never seen one, and I go LOTS of places. (was present during a hostage situation/robbery at a lumberyard/hardware store and at an Electronics store)

FINALLY I saw one in person at a hospital in another city, but our local hospital and the ones in nearby towns aren't posted.

So, I carry everywhere except a few minutes each year at the courthouse, where the office to renew license plates is located (in my town) and a few minutes each month at another municipal office building (which contains a courthouse) when I pay my utility bill.

Our airport is a city owned airport and we don't get free massages from TSA, I'll have to drive to another city for the free massages.

Pretty much, I carry at church, Walgreens, Walmart, HEB grocery store, the gas station .... everywhere (except Courthouses) in my town.

There is no "calling ahead" to businesses you plan to go to, I keep a plastic garbage bag in the car to cover while disarming temporarily to go into the courthouse building once a month/year or in case I encounter an enforceable 30.06 sign Only that one, so far, licensed about a year and a half now..after procrastinating for YEARS. (I first got the Application Packet in 1996)

Like I said ... I carry everywhere except a few minutes each year, and a few minutes each month.

Glad I got it.... finally; wish I had sooner.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

wally775

Post by wally775 »

TAM said
Get the license. Having one doesn't mean having to carry, but it does mean being able to carry when circumstances permit it. Overall, you'll be happier having a CHL than not having one — although I grant you that it may not seem like it from where you sit today. You would be far from being the first member of this board who has gone through the same circumlocutions as you are now going through. I have yet to read any posts from anyone regretting their decision to go ahead and get their CHL once they finally went ahead and did it.

Other good reasons:

because you can
because a right not exercised can become a right lost
because it gives you additional options
because you can't fit a cop in your holster
because it comes with a secret CHL decoder ring (just kidding!)
because taking the time and making the effort will leave you more knowledgeable about your rights and responsibilities under the law, making you a better citizen
because almost anything which is not either illegal or immoral and which expands the limits of your personal comfort envelope is liberating, and we need more freedom, not less of it.

I hope that helps.
:iagree: :iagree:

terryg

Post by terryg »

The Annoyed Man wrote:because it comes with a secret CHL decoder ring (just kidding!)
BTW, he is kidding about 'just kidding'. It really does.

Texas Dan Mosby

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

I'd recommend you take the next couple of weeks to intentionally examine every place you go and make note of whether or not they are posted in accordance with the law. This should give you an idea of how many places you can legally carry in prior to going for a CHL.
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

esxmarkc

Post by esxmarkc »

For example, work. Yes, I've seen the threads on that. I'm in the same situation many are: office worker where the company bans guns there AND in the parking garage, which really is the only place that's parkable anywhere near the place. My situation is slightly unique though: I actually commute by bicycle. So, 5 out of 7 days I'm either in my cubicle or riding to work or riding home. I'm more likely to get mugged on the ride home than any other time, I imagine, but I would NEVER have the gun!!
My quick question: Is your parking garage actually 30.06 posted? If not I'd never be a bit concerned about leaving it in your car while you work other than having it broken into. If it is only your company policy that prohibits it in your vehicle (without posting a 30.06 sign) someone from your company would have to search your car and your not letting that happen - unless were talking refinery or controlled access.

As for biking in, if you used a pack such as http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/vie ... product=31" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to carry your cellphone an extra clean shirt and your lunch, you could lock it up in a locker or desk drawer but now you are definitely "carrying in" which may be crossing the line it's up to you.

Don't know much about your work situation/circumstances so I'm just throwing out possibilities here.
Keeping the king of England out of your face since 12/05/2009

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Or if the parking garage is owned by his employer and is not available for public parking. That is my circumstance. My employer does not have any signs prohibiting guns, but it does have an employee policy and they own the parking lot and it is not available to the public for parking. So, non-employees can carry away, but I cannot.

Return to “New to CHL?”