Signed up for class, still awaiting DPS packet

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Vic
Posts in topic: 6

Signed up for class, still awaiting DPS packet

Post by Vic »

I filled out the application on the DPS website on Feb. 19. I still have not received anything in the mail.

My CHL class is on March 13th.

I understand that I will need to use the stuff in the DPS packet since I applied/paid online for the DPS part. I cannot use the instructor-supplied items in lieu of the DPS-supplied items.

Should I be worried that my DPS packet hasn't arrived? On one hand, it has only been 5 business days, but on the other hand, it has already been 5 whole business days!
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." -- Teddy Roosevelt

Hardlyangelschl
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Signed up for class, still awaiting DPS packet

Post by Hardlyangelschl »

You should get your packet soon. In the event that your packet doesn't come in, your instructor should be able to help you.

joe817
Posts in topic: 4

Post by joe817 »

Vic, have you verified that your cc has been charged? That seems like an awfully long time to be waiting for it!

I applied online on a Sunday, and had the packet the following Wednesday. And that was at the end of May/beginning of June when application approvals were running 4 and 5 months.

You might want to call them on Monday to see what's up.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

PJK

Post by PJK »

My wife and I signed up in October online. Her packet came in 4 days, mine took almost 2 1/2 weeks. I would not worry.

"Why are there mass shootings in gun free zones? The same reason there are non at gun ranges"

Topic author
Vic

Post by Vic »

They charged my credit card on the 22nd. That was last Monday.

If it is not here tomorrow, I'll call them.

Thanks everyone!
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." -- Teddy Roosevelt

s197winstang

Post by s197winstang »

took me about 10 business days to receive it... You will get it. DPS is all business these days. Send an email to them they will respond within 24 hrs. Very impressive operation they have given the limited resources.

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

This is making me really nervous. I did the online stuff and paid on 2/10/2010 and my packet still isn't here...

silverbear

Post by silverbear »

I filled out my online application Feb 12th and still haven't gotten anything in the mail - CC charge posted 2/15. I called last week and they said that the mailing of packets was running about 3 weeks behind. :banghead:
I support the right to arm bears.

silverbear

Post by silverbear »

Received today! :woohoo

Edit: Will be in the mail tomorrow!

Topic author
Vic

Post by Vic »

So if mine follows the same timeline as yours, it will be next week before mine shows up in the mailbox.

Here's what I don't understand: My CHL class is this Saturday. If my DPS packet doesn't show up until after the class, how do I handle that situation? I cannot use the instructor-supplied forms and fingerprint cards. Can I just bring the packet to the instructor once it shows up (and still take the class even though my packet hasn't arrived)? Or, do I need to postpone the class until after the packet show up?

It is not really a hassle to take the class, skip their forms, and drive back up there once my DPS packet shows, since the class takes place at the gun range I practice in anyway, so the drive is not out-of-the-way.

MojoTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MojoTexas »

Vic wrote:So if mine follows the same timeline as yours, it will be next week before mine shows up in the mailbox.

Here's what I don't understand: My CHL class is this Saturday. If my DPS packet doesn't show up until after the class, how do I handle that situation? I cannot use the instructor-supplied forms and fingerprint cards. Can I just bring the packet to the instructor once it shows up (and still take the class even though my packet hasn't arrived)? Or, do I need to postpone the class until after the packet show up?

It is not really a hassle to take the class, skip their forms, and drive back up there once my DPS packet shows, since the class takes place at the gun range I practice in anyway, so the drive is not out-of-the-way.
I'd suggest calling your CHL instructor and asking them what they want you to do. They might even suggest postponing your class for a week or two until your packet arrives.
NRA Life member, TSRA member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

joe817

Post by joe817 »

MojoTexas wrote:
Vic wrote:So if mine follows the same timeline as yours, it will be next week before mine shows up in the mailbox.

I'd suggest calling your CHL instructor and asking them what they want you to do. They might even suggest postponing your class for a week or two until your packet arrives.
You don't need the packet DPS sends you to take the class. If anything I'd take the packet that the instructor gives you, take it home with you and just wait until you receive the packet from Austin.

I sure wouldn't postpone the class over it. You can't send in any paperwork until after the class anyway.

Don't be in any rush to get that packet off to Austin. It was 8 days after I took my class before I sent the packet in. And I applied online too.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

silverbear

Post by silverbear »

My instructor had all the forms and a lady doing pictures, finger prints and notarizing. When the packet came in yesterday, I signed the form and substituted the completed forms. Put it in the mail today. Time for........................ The Waiting Room!

Not sure what other CHL instructors include - I think I may have paid extra for the class to have prints, pictures and notarizing done.

Topic author
Vic

Post by Vic »

joe817 wrote:You don't need the packet DPS sends you to take the class. If anything I'd take the packet that the instructor gives you, take it home with you and just wait until you receive the packet from Austin.
I'm with you there, but still have some trepidation.

I'm taking the information that says that the DPS packet and the packet I'd get from the CHL instructor are somehow different from the wording here: http://www.txchia.org/getchl.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Under Section A (Completing an Application), Option 2 (Submit a request by internet), subsection "d" states that "DPS will send you the application forms to complete. The forms available through CHL instructors cannot be substituted".

If I'm understanding this correctly, I can still TAKE THE CLASS, but I cannot use the forms that the instructor provides. I have NO IDEA what these forms are exactly that I cannot use (instead having to use the DPS forms in the packet that I have not received yet). The class I signed up for lists that they include "all forms, affidavits, notary, fingerprinting, and photos".

Since I cannot use the instructor forms, does that have any effect on the other items (notary, affidavits, fingerprinting, and photos)? I assume not on the photos, but do they have to notarize something that I should be getting in the DPS packet? Does the DPS packet contain DPS-issued fingerprint cards that I must use?

MojoTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MojoTexas »

When I called the Bullet Trap in Plano to schedule my class, I asked if I should pay online or not. They told me not to mess with the online application, and I'm glad I didn't. I just showed up at class, got a packet from my instructor, and didn't have to wait for DPS to mail me anything. In general, I would recommend that if someone is in a hurry to take the class, just get a packet from your instructor. Otherwise you have to wait for the DPS to mail you your packet, and as we've seen, that is sometimes not a timely process.

Just my two cents....
NRA Life member, TSRA member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

Return to “New to CHL?”