How to carry a larger carry pistol on small person

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Gus Chiggins
Posts in topic: 1

How to carry a larger carry pistol on small person

Post by Gus Chiggins »

I'm not the largest guy (5'6" 170) and I usually carry a kel-tec 3at, but I also have an XD sub-compact that I'm much more comfortable with. any ideas on how to conceal it well?
Molon Labe

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Re: How to carry a larger carry pistol on small person

Post by seamusTX »

Welcome to the forum.

An inside-waistband holster and a loose, patterned shirt work wonders. The main thing is finding a location on your beltline and cant (horizontal angle) where the grip doesn't protrude.

I've come to realize that most people who carry are more self-conscious than they need to be, and the rest of our fellow citizens are oblivious.

If you can't wear an untucked shirt or a jacket, the challenge becomes a little more difficult. but it's still manageable. You probably need to invest some serious money in holsters in that case.

- Jim

longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by longtooth »

Gus Chiggins wrote:I'm not the largest guy (5'6" 170) and I usually carry a kel-tec 3at, but I also have an XD sub-compact that I'm much more comfortable with. any ideas on how to conceal it well?
First, welcome aboard. We are glad to have you.
I am bigger than you but my son is taller & slimmer so I offer my experience coupled w/ his size. His daily carry is Kimber Pro CDP. He carries one extra 10rd Mag & cell phone.

My daily "small gun" carry is the same gun, Mag, cell & add pepper. Neither of us have any problem w/ conceal. I also have a full size 1911A1 - SA that I carry regular because I like it. Heavier than the Kimber but caries fine.

seamus hit one point right on the head.
"I've come to realize that most people who carry are more self-conscious than they need to be, and the rest of our fellow citizens are oblivious."

If you want to carry a mid size or large frame gun (& i highly recomend it) your gear is the first line of conceal & w/o a doubt the most important.
A quality belt and holster is maditory.
This combo will hold your gun tight to your body, in the place you put it, & it will not be uncomfortable. Both belt & holster are equally important.
There are many quality makers & there is a long list of them as a sticky in the section on holsters & gear. When you see one you think you like there you can do what you have done here & ask about it. Someone has one. There are reviews written on this board about many of them.
My belts are made by Mitch Rosen, & RafterS. There are some cheaper belts that are just as good. I bought both of these off the used sale boards. Beltman is probably the best for the price & you will not be compromising any quality.
Son & I both carry on our belt in a Tucker holster. Mine is an HF1, his a pancake.
When I carry Inside Waste Band, (IWB) I have a Comp-tac for the Kimber & a Blade tec for the SA. Kydex is cheaper than leather. I like leather OWB best but sometimes I need the added conceal of IWB.
I cover w/ a vest & will post a couple of pics if you would like.
Summer I still use the vests. Light summer cover. Vests dont scream gun-shoot me first.
A Polo shirt will cover even the SA full size 1911A1 in the IWB holster.
The cell prints more than the gun.
I also carry the Kimber Pro in a shoulder rig. The expense of a good shoulder rig seems too high to some for a "holster" BUT, when you buy a shoulder rig you are in essence getting Belt, Holster & Mag pouch. A whole rig or carry system.
Again, I cover this w/ a light vest, sleeveless & no one knows.

I confess that it takes some time & expense to get set up to carry daily, comfortably.
Suggestions from experience:
Get an IWB holster from one of the Kydex makers mentioned above. They are both quality. Buying new I recomend Comp-Tac. They are Texas, participate on the board, ship fast, and are definately HIGH QUALITY. Customer Service & the character of the owners is above reproach.
Your pants need to be a little loose but not baggy. A good belt from a dept store will do well as long as you are IWB.
Save some money & then choose a OWB holster & belt from one of the quality makers if you want to try OWB carry.
Good all elastic suspenders are the best friend conceal carry has. If interested I will share that with you too. Some hate'em, I love'em.

My 5 step saying to those who are starting to carry is:
Quality gear.!!!!!!!
Put it on.
Cover it up.
LEAVE IT ALONE.
No one will know.

Now remember seamus first statement.
I've come to realize that most people who carry are more self-conscious than they need to be, and the rest of our fellow citizens are oblivious.

PM to you also.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

longtooth wrote:The cell prints more than the gun.
I consider that a useful distraction.

Saturday night I saw a guy with a tucked-in shirt and three pouches or holsters on his belt. The best I could guess was two small cell phones and a knife. I kept trying to figure out what else he was concealing, if anything. It remains a mystery.

- Jim

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

seamusTX wrote:
longtooth wrote:The cell prints more than the gun.
I consider that a useful distraction.

Saturday night I saw a guy with a tucked-in shirt and three pouches or holsters on his belt. The best I could guess was two small cell phones and a knife. I kept trying to figure out what else he was concealing, if anything. It remains a mystery.

- Jim
:iagree:
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kerbouchard

Post by Kerbouchard »

If you can wear an untucked shirt: IWB or OWB with quality belt should work fine.
My normal dress is black slacks and a tucked in dress shirt, no coat. I use a Smartcarry and have no problems concealing. The draw takes practice but IMO, is much faster than a tuckable IWB.

For what it's worth, I agree with those above. The most common tell of somebody carrying is not printing, but their subconscious movements, i.e. readjusting, small limp, strong arm not swinging the same as weak arm, etc.

Normally is somebody is printing, they are either wearing a cheap belt or their holster at 2:30-3:00 or 5:30 plus...Try moving your carry rig to different areas and go with the one that keeps your grip firmly pressed against you. If you still find yourself printing, you may need to buy slightly larger shirts. Dark colors and patterns seem to conceal better.

Snake Doctor

Post by Snake Doctor »

longtooth wrote:My 5 step saying to those who are starting to carry is:
Quality gear.!!!!!!!
Put it on.
Cover it up.
LEAVE IT ALONE.
No one will know.
Great advice from the ever-knowledgeable Longtooth.
Nemo me impune lacessit.

Blinking Dog

Post by Blinking Dog »

I am 5' 10' and about 140# after lunch and I carry a full size 1911. I usually wear jeans or shorts with a simple untucked shirt. I have a Milt Sparks VMII which really holds my 1911 in place well on a stiff leather Cabelas belt.

I've carried plenty of times with people who later found out I had that "big ole gun" hiding under my shirt, and they were amazed.

:txflag:

quidni

Post by quidni »

I'm 5'2", & I've carried most every size from a North American Arms pocket pistol to a gov't-sized 1911. Ever since I figured out how (I had to get creative...) I've carried "on board" instead of in my purse whenever possible.

These pics were taken a couple years ago:

Can you see the holster? (hint: I'm right-handed.)

How about now?

Oh, there it is!

That's a full-sized Rock Island 1911 in the holster. I can draw and fire with either hand - cross-draw or cavalry-draw. I won't claim to be a marksman at any great distance, especially left-handed, but that just gives me an excuse to practice more.... :fire
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I remember that series. You were just getting your carry rig. I really think of that one often. Also remember the Tele call from you & Thane after my cancer surg.

Back on topic. Good example of quality rig. Tight & unmovable.

Double Excellent example of large frame gun on small frame carrier whether man or woman.

Gus she aint no where near as big as you.
Thane, her son, is a small frame man like my son. He should get in on this one if he has time right now.

RiverRat

Post by RiverRat »

Hi Gus,
Welcome to the forum. I am new to the site myself.......I'm not a large man, either, except for my waist :) . I also have an xd40sc that I recently purchased a MTAC IWB holster for. It is very comfortable in several positions from 2 to 5 o'clock with no concern about printing with the XDsc. It also wears well with my shirt tucked or untucked. I have two other nice holsters from the Comp-Tac folks for my XD's and have to say the lined MTAC is my favorite for extended comfortable wear and worth the small money extra difference over the unlined. I have been impressed to the point I fully intend to purchase another MTAC for my 4" XD45.

Good luck in your search,
Cotton
Life member NRA and TSRA

kestrel

Post by kestrel »

Lots of good ideas, here. That is what I like about this forum. Thanks, y'all!

I am 5'11 and 160#. I carry a full-sized 1911 (series 80, sometimes an old Army '43) and have been experimenting with a ton of different options, as I'm still new to all this.

I've tried in the SOB, at 5:30 and even straight 6. I don't really like that: gets in the way of everything and prints like crazy. I have tried around the 4 o-clock position with a KoolBak holster + extra mag and that sometimes works. I do find I have to wear jackets but will soon start seeing how un-tucked shirts will work out.

Still searching...I think, however, that a good CompTac holster may be worth getting. That or a Crossbreed. Ideas? :txflag:

eric

Post by eric »

Most altercations come within 25 ft. Larger cal. such as 45 colt defender are very suitable and light weight 22.5 oz. 3" barrell, easy to conceal, very accurate with great stopping power. Long barrell 911's are difficult to conceal for me.

austin

Post by austin »

I am about the same size, but fit.

I carry an XD service AIWB with no holster most of the time.

I wear an undershirt tucked in, a belt, and then a shirt over it, not tucked in. The pistol goes in my pants at about 1 oclock between the undershirt and my pants.

It works great. I can do somersaults and the pistol stays in place. Its so close to my body that no one can detect it and its real hard to bump me and find it. I also do not have to worry about someone making a grab or the holster getting hung up or exposed because there is no holster. Finally, its the fastest concealed draw position and I can get to it if knocked down.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

austin wrote:I am about the same size, but fit.

I carry an XD service AIWB with no holster most of the time.

I wear an undershirt tucked in, a belt, and then a shirt over it, not tucked in. The pistol goes in my pants at about 1 oclock between the undershirt and my pants.

It works great. I can do somersaults and the pistol stays in place. Its so close to my body that no one can detect it and its real hard to bump me and find it. I also do not have to worry about someone making a grab or the holster getting hung up or exposed because there is no holster. Finally, its the fastest concealed draw position and I can get to it if knocked down.
You really might want to reconcider getting a holster. A holster not only helps secure the weapon, it also protects it against damage and the trigger is protected against an unintentional activation accidental trigger pull. I assume your XD doesn't have a manual lever operated safety. This is particularly dangerous to carry without holster protection.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “New to CHL?”