Check this out!

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
rgraham541
Posts in topic: 1

Check this out!

Post by rgraham541 »

This is a moot point now since my TX CHL was issued yesterday and I'm just waiting on the mailman. But, I emailed the Virginia Department of State Police. Informed them that I had moved to Texas and, would like to modify my CHL from a resident permit to a non-resident permit and what do I need to do. This just blows me away. I guess even though my permit shows my old Virginia address and, the fact that I have moved out of state does not matter.

Mr. Graham:

Virginia Code Section 18.2-308, which governs the issuance of concealed
handgun permits, makes no provisions for changes of address, and no
requirement for you to notify this agency of such. A permit once issued
remains valid until the expiration date is met, or upon suspension or
revocation, regardless of the change of address.

Sincerely,

Ms. Marie C. Lucas, Supervisor Senior
Firearms Transaction Center
Virginia Department of State Police
Tel: (804) 674-2675
Fax: (804) 674-2791
N5RAG
Many problems of modern society cannot be solved by laws and
the legal system because moral behavior cannot be legislated.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Check this out!

Post by Keith B »

Does your Virginia license show an address, any reference to resident vs. non-resident, or any reference to a VA DL#?

Edited to add: From the VA State Police Website FAQ's at http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

The address on my Resident Concealed Handgun Permit is no longer correct. Is my permit still valid?
Yes. Virginia Code Section 18.2-308, which governs the issuance of resident concealed handgun permits, makes no provisions for changes of address. A permit once issued remains valid until the expiration date is met, or upon suspension or revocation, regardless of the change of address.

The address on my Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permit is no longer correct. Is my permit still valid?
Yes. Virginia Code Section 18.2-308, which governs the issuance of nonresident concealed handgun permits, makes no provisions for changes of address. A permit once issued remains valid until the expiration date is met, or upon suspension or revocation, regardless of the change of address. However, the Virginia State Police will issue change of address cards upon request. Holders of nonresident permits are requested to notify the Virginia State Police, Firearms Transaction Center (FTC) in writing at P.O. Box 85141, Richmond, VA, 23285-5141 or on-line at nonrespermit@vsp.virginia.gov. Additional information is available at http://www.vsp.state.va.us/cjis_nrcwp.htm.

Apprently there is no provision to change you to a non-resident permit for a resident. Hmmm, interesting!
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “New to CHL?”