Sig Mosquito -- Guilty or Innocent?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

DrBillC
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sig Mosquito -- Guilty or Innocent?

Post by DrBillC »

Bought a Mosquito about a month ago for fun and cheap practice. Standard model, very accurate. I had some initial trouble with FTEs and FTFs. Then, I found this on the Sig Sauer site. I don't think this information is in the manual and it makes all the difference in the world. I had thought the high velocity required the heaver spring, but it's for hyper velocity, which I have not yet tried. I also bought two Sig Sauer magazines that are polymer but without springs. The one that came with the gun is polymer but has a spring and it functions flawlessly. I have noted that the front lip on the two without springs are not the same (not cut as low) and will be taking the Dremel to them. Also, Academy now has replacement magazines (with springs) for $24.95 ea.

From Sig Sauer:
Please try these basic trouble shooting tips before requesting service: *Please make sure the recoil spring is installed correctly. The narrow end of the spring MUST be on the guide rod first...pointing towards the rear of the gun. If it is not, this will cause feeding, extraction and firing issues. *The longer (light power – some are painted white) spring should be used with Standard or High Velocity (1000+ fps) ammo. Use the shorter (heavy) spring for Hyper-Velocity (1400+ fps) ammo. *Like many .22 LR’s, Mosquito’s can be sensitive to ammunition used and to cleanliness and lubrication. Be sure your Mosquito is cleaned and lubricated regularly and before the first use. *There is a lubrication port on the right side of the slide for the extractor, be sure you add a drop of lube in this hole every hundred rounds or so. Make sure the gun is very clean. *Some Mosquito's benefit from a break-in period. *Be sure to use factory recommend ammunition - CCI Mini-Mags. Winchester Super-X, Remington Golden Bullet, Federal High Velocity etc...also usually work well.
And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. (Colossians 3:17)

GOP

Post by GOP »

I've been considering getting one mostly 'cause of the SIG name and I have a dealer down in Corpus who gets great prices on anything SIG. My Ruger is nice as well, makes a great squirrel gun, but it is very finicky when it comes to ammo. Eats nothing without a jacket, and prefers Winchester over anything else. If the SIG was not as picky I might consider going with it.
Carry guns:
SIG P239 in 357sig
SIG P239 in 40sw
SIG P220
SIG GSR 1911
All with Crimson Trace Laser Grips

"Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
-Luke 22:36

Topic author
Quahog
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Quahog »

DrBillC wrote:...

From Sig Sauer:
Please try these basic trouble shooting tips before requesting service: *Please make sure the recoil spring is installed correctly. The narrow end of the spring MUST be on the guide rod first...pointing towards the rear of the gun. If it is not, this will cause feeding, extraction and firing issues. *The longer (light power – some are painted white) spring should be used with Standard or High Velocity (1000+ fps) ammo. Use the shorter (heavy) spring for Hyper-Velocity (1400+ fps) ammo. *Like many .22 LR’s, Mosquito’s can be sensitive to ammunition used and to cleanliness and lubrication. Be sure your Mosquito is cleaned and lubricated regularly and before the first use. *There is a lubrication port on the right side of the slide for the extractor, be sure you add a drop of lube in this hole every hundred rounds or so. Make sure the gun is very clean. *Some Mosquito's benefit from a break-in period. *Be sure to use factory recommend ammunition - CCI Mini-Mags. Winchester Super-X, Remington Golden Bullet, Federal High Velocity etc...also usually work well.
This is great info and something I will definitely try. Thanks for posting! :txflag:
"America needs God more than God needs America. If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." -- Ronald Reagan

NRA - TSRA - PSC - CHL

WolfeJager

Post by WolfeJager »

One of my buddies bought one for his wife. She absolutely adores that pistol.
She ran 8 Boxes of Minimags through it the first day she had it. No feeding problems through the entire 8 boxes.

Great little 22.

Topic author
Quahog
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Quahog »

WolfeJager wrote:One of my buddies bought one for his wife. She absolutely adores that pistol.
She ran 8 Boxes of Minimags through it the first day she had it. No feeding problems through the entire 8 boxes.

Great little 22.
No problems here either with the Fiocchi or CCI MiniMags. I've since swapped in the longer spring as suggested but I haven't had a chance to try the Federal JHPs again to see if that cleared the issue. It's a great little gun... my wife has pretty much taken it over. :smilelol5:
"America needs God more than God needs America. If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." -- Ronald Reagan

NRA - TSRA - PSC - CHL

weef

Post by weef »

I actually went to my Carter's Country on Wednesday with every intent on buying a Mosquito for my wife and daughters to use but it was heavier than I expected. It's comparable to my Ruger P95 I think. Then I held the Walther P22 and thought the size and weight would be a better fit (I understand my wife should be the one trying it out but it'll be impossible to get her to the gun store). Also it would be easier to carry the P22 if she ever gets her CHL. I liked the Mosquito's magazine release better than the P22 though but couldn't get past the size. Sadly I went home without buying either and will now do some research on the P22. The Mosquito looks like a great gun and would be my first choice if I was looking for a 22 for myself.

Return to “New to CHL?”