Advice For Carrying in Particular Situations

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Pete92FS
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Advice For Carrying in Particular Situations

Post by Pete92FS »

lonewolf wrote:Unfortunately, the option of a weapon for each vehicle is not practical for me. I wish it were. I have trained myself to crossdraw and with the weapon on the left, it really isn't problem entering or exiting the vehicle. In addition, since I am right handed, I found myself bumping the weapon far more often when I carried on the right. I won't conjecture as to why. What I do know is that with it cross draw at 9:00 or so, I hardly notice its there, and that says a lot for a Beretta 92G Centurion. Not exactly a compact weapon.

Experimentation is key. Try different methods and see what works best for you. There are some mighty good suggestions all the way around in here.
:iagree: I carry both my full size 1911 and my Kimber in a crossdraw position at 9:00 to 10:00 in an IWB holster that can be worn crossdraw or right handed.
CHL since 01/26/09

smyrna
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Advice For Carrying in Particular Situations

Post by smyrna »

karl wrote: I'm a pretty small guy and for comforts sake I take my 1911 out of my holster and stick it in the glove box until I reach my destination (digs into my back and hip; I best conceal at 4:30). What do you do about this? Add a small pillow to the lower back area?

Also, do any of you accept a limit on mobility (playing with a dog in public) because you're carrying or do you conceal in a way that is so comfortable that you can do just about anything?.
I assume you carry IWB since you mention that it "digs into my back and hip". Not sure what kind of holster you use, but one that cants forward usually helps this IMO. Stay away from the cheap IWB holsters that don't have a lining between you and the pistol, those always make it feel as thought the pistol is digging into you.

Also, some IWB ride higher than others, therefore the muzzle end of the rig won't dig into your hip as bad on a 1911 or full size auto. Try different holsters and positions until you find the "sweet spot".

Commander length 1911 in one of these http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product ... ument.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; works for me when I find the sweet spot.

Return to “New to CHL?”