+P ammo questions

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 2

Re: +P ammo questions

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I, for one, would like to see some precedent cases posted that show someone HERE IN TEXAS not getting a "no true bill" for an otherwise justifiable self-defense shooting ONLY because they used +P ammo, or hollowpoints, or handloads, or any other such thing. I happen to know for a FACT that the NYPD of all organizations ISSUES Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P HP ammo to their officers, and I know this because one of my former troops is an NYPD officer. So, if its an appropriate choice for Mayor Bloomberg's PD, in liberal-progressive NYC, why would it not be an appropriate choice for a citizen IN TEXAS to defend themselves with?

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Excaliber »

C-dub wrote:Picked up some Winchester Ranger Talon 230gr. +P HP ammo today. Read some good things about and it was about time to rotate out my carry ammo. What says everyone? Anyone else use this stuff?
i didn't have good luck with the Winchester Ranger .45 ammo. I experienced multiple failures to feed in a Springfield XD and a Kimber Pro Carry that digest everything else without a hitch. I don't use it anymore. A local sheriff's office had the same experience and switched to Federal for their carry ammo. That was in 2011, so I don't know if the situation has changed since then. I haven't used that ammo since.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Excaliber wrote:
C-dub wrote:Picked up some Winchester Ranger Talon 230gr. +P HP ammo today. Read some good things about and it was about time to rotate out my carry ammo. What says everyone? Anyone else use this stuff?
i didn't have good luck with the Winchester Ranger .45 ammo. I experienced multiple failures to feed in a Springfield XD and a Kimber Pro Carry that digest everything else without a hitch. I don't use it anymore. A local sheriff's office had the same experience and switched to Federal for their carry ammo. That was in 2011, so I don't know if the situation has changed since then. I haven't used that ammo since.
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't shot up the PDX1 stuff yet. Guess I'll be putting some of the Rangers through first to see how they feed.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

I've not had any problems with Winchester Ranger RA45TP. The +P round has, so far, run flawlessly through my Kimbers (large and small), XDs, and Glocks.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Excaliber »

Skiprr wrote:I've not had any problems with Winchester Ranger RA45TP. The +P round has, so far, run flawlessly through my Kimbers (large and small), XDs, and Glocks.
The issues I experienced might have been batch related.

Mine were from the same lot as the one the sheriff's office had trouble with.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

carrydave
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carrydave »

I have no clue here but would it be safe to assume a glock or other polymer handgun with steel guild rails for the slide will handle high pressure ammo better than the xd or other polymer on steel insted of steel on steel slide to frame interfacing?

Any USPSA folks?

9mm major (power factor over 165 . pf = bullet weight x velocity \ 1000)
has become popular now. you need a longer barrel and some hot hot loads ( i cant find any factory ammo that meets power factor of >165 ) even +p+

i would think if a polymer gun can handle uspsa 9mm major then it could perhaps handle anything sold in a store as 9x19mm

what do yall think about that statement ?

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I'm not sure about other brands but this is what the manual for my Ruger SR9c has to say about ammunition:
The SR-SERIES pistols are compatible with all factory ammunition of the correct caliber loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including high-velocity and
hollow-point loads, loaded in brass, aluminum, or steel cartridge cases. No 9mm Parabellum or .40 S&W ammunition manufactured in accordance with NATO,
U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or known not to function in these pistols.
Speaking of 9mm Luger, +P is a SAAMI spec.

Pecos
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pecos »

I will carry HYdro Shock Or Critical Duty hollow point ammo to minimize over penitration if I have to stop a life threatening attack.
It's safer than FMJ for in the public situations & will stop the threat faster. It's legal for civilian CCWs. Hope this helps
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

Return to “New to CHL?”