Employee Handbook

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Employee Handbook

Post by C-dub »

This concept of NOT asking our boss or HR about a policy like this can be foreign or unsettling for some people. Some people like to believe that their company will look out for them and do the right thing by them.

BIG mistake. A company looks out for themselves first and then you, if at all. Just like insurance companies really care for those that pay their premiums. "rlol" They want to make money and couldn't care less if someone gets better or not.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

C-dub wrote:This concept of NOT asking our boss or HR about a policy like this can be foreign or unsettling for some people. Some people like to believe that their company will look out for them and do the right thing by them.

BIG mistake. A company looks out for themselves first and then you, if at all. Just like insurance companies really care for those that pay their premiums. "rlol" They want to make money and couldn't care less if someone gets better or not.
:iagree: If you want a friend at work, buy a dog. :cool:
NRA Endowment Member

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

OP and anyone else:

1. Never ask an employer about guns at work. No good will come of it.
2. Never educate an employer, or any other site, about proper 30.06 signage.
Ignorance is bliss for us 2A fans.
3. Even a fish wouldn't get in trouble if he kept his mouth shut.
Carry well-concealed and don't discuss guns with co-workers, bosses, or customers.
You don't tell them whether you're wearing boxers or briefs - same rule applies your shootin' irons. :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

57Coastie

Post by 57Coastie »

JAGER77 wrote:Makes sense. Their policy can't get me arrested, just fired. Thanks guys! I just needed a different view on it other than my own to see it clearly.
You may have drawn a little too much out of the conversation here, JAGER, when you say, "Their policy can't get me arrested, just fired."

I would agree that, as it is quoted by you, your employer's policy on guns is quite arguably internally inconsistent and at least sloppily drafted. That creates a legal issue which may be meaningful to a judge, but not necessarily to an LEO -- and it would be the LEO who might arrest you after being told by an agent of your employer what the manual means to the company. If he did, leaving the legal issue to a judge, which is quite predictable, you could find yourself out of a job, with your handgun at least temporarily confiscated, in front of a judge and with a lawyer to pay. Meanwhile you are spread about on the internet acknowledging that there was a question in your mind as to the effect of the manual provisions if faced with a charge of criminal trespass.

As stated by others, it is your decision to make, having a full knowledge of the possible consequences. I certainly would not predict with any assurance what some judge might decide -- I have been surprised about that many, many times. I step in here simply to suggest that you be confident that you have that full knowledge, and not to suggest what your decision should be.

Jim

emcee rib

Post by emcee rib »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:Carry well-concealed and don't discuss guns with co-workers, bosses, or customers.
You don't tell them whether you're wearing boxers or briefs - same rule applies your shootin' irons. :-)
That's good advice. Keep it a surprise you're armed.
We declare our right on this earth to be a man, to be a human being, to be respected as a human being, to be given the rights of a human being in this society, on this earth, in this day, which we intend to bring into existence by any means necessary.

wharvey

Post by wharvey »

I've seen worse firearms policies. I know a company that includes parking lots, sidewalks, private and public drives in their restrictions. Funnest thing is that they state it also applies to applicants, as if they give the handbook to an applicant before interviewing. :roll:

The fact that you can be fired for any or no reason makes the parking lot law worthless in my opinion.
Bill Harvey

License to Carry Handgun - Indiana, since Aug 1997
CHL - Texas, since Aug 2011

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RPB »

wharvey wrote:I've seen worse firearms policies. I know a company that includes parking lots, sidewalks, private and public drives in their restrictions. Funnest thing is that they state it also applies to applicants, as if they give the handbook to an applicant before interviewing. :roll:

The fact that you can be fired for any or no reason makes the parking lot law worthless in my opinion.
parking lot law --- I believe It removes potential criminal penalties for some

As I've said, If I went to Virginia Tech where it was legal to carry, but they'd expel you if they found out ... they wouldn't find out. If all I could conceal was a Seecamp, I'd carry a Seecamp; I own two, they work.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator »

wharvey wrote:I've seen worse firearms policies. I know a company that includes parking lots, sidewalks, private and public drives in their restrictions. Funnest thing is that they state it also applies to applicants, as if they give the handbook to an applicant before interviewing. :roll:
If the handbook has 30.06 language, it definitely applies to applicants. For employees, sidewalks and private streets can be off limits by giving 30.06 notice. The employee protection bill only applies to "a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area the employer provides for employees."

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

If you weren't so far away from DFW I'd think you were talking about my company.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

wharvey

Post by wharvey »

smoothoperator wrote:
If the handbook has 30.06 language, it definitely applies to applicants. For employees, sidewalks and private streets can be off limits by giving 30.06 notice. The employee protection bill only applies to "a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area the employer provides for employees."
Maybe but: the language does not matter if you haven't been given it, as would be the case of an applicant.

The side walks I'm referring to are public side walks. The also mention side street that can be used to access the business.

Reminds me of these control freaks who say you can't smoke in your own home.
Bill Harvey

posse

Post by posse »

My boss encouraged be to get my CHL and told me about this forum.

You guys need to go work for Texans instead of dem Yankees. :mrgreen:

wharvey

Post by wharvey »

posse wrote:My boss encouraged be to get my CHL and told me about this forum.

You guys need to go work for Texans instead of dem Yankees. :mrgreen:
Or foreigners. Don't forget how many "damn yankees" now live in this state. We're being taken over.
Bill Harvey

txgrifter

Post by txgrifter »

The way my CHL instructor put it.. Employers can tell you they do not allow guns, and if they find a gun you can and most likely will be fired. BUT without the 30.06 they cannot keep non-employees from carrying. So really they are keeping their employees unarmed and anyone else that comes in armed.. pretty sh*tty if you ask me. My employer is the same, pretty much the same language.
8/6/12 - Mailed to DPS
9/1/12 - Plastic in Hand

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

txgrifter wrote:The way my CHL instructor put it.. Employers can tell you they do not allow guns, and if they find a gun you can and most likely will be fired. BUT without the 30.06 they cannot keep non-employees from carrying. So really they are keeping their employees unarmed and anyone else that comes in armed.. pretty sh*tty if you ask me. My employer is the same, pretty much the same language.
Same for me. Employee handbook says "no weapons" but there's nothing to keep others from concealed carrying. The employee handbook also says no guns in private vehicles on the company parking lot - in direct contradiction to the parking lot law. My CHL instructor also advised to keep the ol yap shut & go on about my business. So that's what I'm gonna do (when the glorious day finally arrives). I'll go as far a carrying in the car into the lot & then securly stowing while on the job, taking the manual as notice.

In addition to taking the responsibility of arming myself very seriously, I also want to be a good representative for the 2A'ers as a whole. Afterall, I may be the only 2A'er that some of these people meet!
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

txgrifter wrote:The way my CHL instructor put it.. Employers can tell you they do not allow guns, and if they find a gun you can and most likely will be fired. BUT without the 30.06 they cannot keep non-employees from carrying. So really they are keeping their employees unarmed and anyone else that comes in armed.. pretty sh*tty if you ask me. My employer is the same, pretty much the same language.
"They" are not trying to keep visitors/non-employees armed. I would bet if most companies found out a non-employee was carrying, they would give them verbal notice and get them off the premises ASAP.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “New to CHL?”