Opinions on OWB or IWB

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Stumpjumper
Posts in topic: 2

Opinions on OWB or IWB

Post by Stumpjumper »

Waiting on my plastic (patiently so far) and have been carrying around the house for practice but feel like it's pretty obvious I've got a hunk of metal on me. I currently have a FNX-9mm with a Fobus holster. I love the release and return on the holster but wanted some opinions on OWB vs IWB.

Any help would be appreciated
What chance does America have if good people do nothing?

jeffrw

Re: Opinions on OWB or IWB

Post by jeffrw »

Welcome to the forum. The wait is no fun, but you'll have your plastic in hand before you know it. Until then, you're doing well to practice carrying at home. You can try a number of carry positions to see what works best for you as far as comfort, concealment, ease of access to the weapon, etc.

You'll get different opinions (which is what the forum is for), but I personally carry IWB. The downside is that it makes your pants fit tighter around the waist. But the upside is that there's just a lot less of the gun to conceal that way vs. OWB. Even with IWB, when you first start carrying, you will be a bit self-conscious/paranoid walking around in public, afraid that everyone is staring at you and can see your gun. In reality, people almost certainly do not notice, but the more of the gun that is hidden, the less of a reason you have to worry about this.

katmandu
Posts in topic: 1

Post by katmandu »

Hi Stumpjumper,

If one is reasonably slender, IWB seems to be the preferred carry method.

If you are more classically pear-shaped like I am, :lol: IWB can become more problematic - uncomfortable, barrel tilts inward pushing grip out, etc. I have to pocket carry or carry OWB.

Definitely get a good belt & holster for OWB - it makes all the difference.
Last edited by katmandu on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

Welcome to the forum!

I second the opinion on a good belt. It makes the difference between the sag of a kel-tec 32 and a solid platform for a full-frame N-Frame revolver. You don't have to spend huge money on your first, but you'll definitely feel the difference once you put one on. I personally use the 5.11 dress-style belts for most everything--even though I keep promising myself a beltman or comp-tac belt. :)

The feeling of dragging a howlitzer from your belt loop really does go away with time. Pretty soon it'll be just like your billfold--a bulge you feel, but feel even stranger without.

As far as IWB vs. OWB, I do a little of both. Most of the time I carry IWB just because all I have to do is cover the grip and belt line...when I go OWB, I have the whole barrel to keep covered. I tend toward larger pistols though, often carrying a 4" 686, an N-frame M58, or a 4.25" 1911...good sized barrels, all. When I carry my J-frame snubbie, even an untucked polo or T-shirt is fine even OWB.

Again, welcome, and best of luck. The plastic is coming faster and faster these days, so hopefully the wait won't be too long!
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

Welcome to the forum Stumpjumper.

I have carried both IWB and OWB and I like OWB better. I'll also second the gun belt and a decent holster. Gun belts have a fairly wide range in price, but look at it like this. The money you pay for good equipment can keep you from being outed and will be more comfortable for you and safer.

IWB vs. OWB is a personal choice much like what gun you want to carry. Try them both and even if you like one method better you may still use the other depending on your attire.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

stroo

Post by stroo »

As previously stated, a good gun belt is a must. I don't feel comfortable sticking a gun down my pants, but that's just me. So I carry OWB. Get a good belt, a good holster and dress around the gun.

jeffrw

Post by jeffrw »

One other thing I forgot to mention about IWB carry is that I can still access my pockets easily. I just raise my T-shirt above the pocket but keep it below the grip of my gun, and all is well. This happens numerous times per day since my cell phone normally goes in the pocket nearest my holster. If I were carrying OWB on my hip I'd probably have to be more careful.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

I prefer OWB, but don't have the opportunity so often to OWB, so I carry IWB or Pocket mostly.
IWB is comfortable, with the right holster, and a good gun belt (Do not think that any "good" belt will work, get a Kydex reinforced belt, you will not regret it!)
OWB is more comfortable.
But honestly, starting off, I think IWB is the way to be, until you get past the "Im carry a gun" jitters or "Everyone is staring at my gun" jitters.
Once you can put it on, walk outside, to the stores, etc, and not 'think' about your weapon, then try OWB, until then, I am sure I was not ready and maybe you won't be either.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Eriksatx

Post by Eriksatx »

I would say go with IWB, I have found that a crossbreed type holster works really well especially at distributing the weight evenly. You can find less expensive alternatives such as Kholster that are great quality with a shorter turn around time. For sure get a gun belt it makes all the difference in the world. I was able to get dress type belts at optics planets by blackhawk for a super reasonable price and so far they have worked out great and they look good too. I conceal at work with a Sig Pro .40 and i carry an extra mag on the opposite side and no one has a clue in my office. My mag holder is kydex and made by "On Your 6 Designs" you can find them on facebook, they have really good products. Also check out Remora holsters they are pretty cool for IWB and super flexible, you can find reviews for them on Youtube.
Sig Sauer P250sc 9mm
Sig Sauer SP2022 .40
In the works
Sig Sauer P226 9mm
Sig Sauer P220 .45

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

I carry IWB, OWB, and a Kangaroo Carry shoulder holster depending on the temperature and the clothes I'm wearing. You will probably discover one holster will not work for every situation. Buy several kinds and experiment, most all of us have a drawer full of holsters.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

RockingRook

Post by RockingRook »

I am also "pear shaped". :lol: I carry IWB or OWB as well as Smart Carry and the very rare fanny pack.

I have tried them all and they all work depending on the weather and the clothes I am wearing. If I wear just
shorts and a tee shirt then it is Smart Carry. If I wear shorts and a loose outer garment then it is either IWB or OWB.

My preferred method is OWB but I have to be ready for any of them dictated by clothes and/or the weather.

BTW, I carry a Sig P-239. I find I can hide it just about anywhere in an of the holsters above.

Chuck :cheers2:
Born in Brooklyn, NY joined AF in '65 as a 2nd Lt. Went through Naval EOD School in 67. Spent
the next 8 years in and around South East Asia. I was stationed in Texas in '84. Retired from the AF in '85.
Remained in Texas, raised my 2 kids and here I stayed. I hope it Rains!!

OrangeAnimal

Post by OrangeAnimal »

After buying my bullard dual carry I was able to decide which I liked more since the holster can be worn iwb or owb now mind you I am carrying a smaller piece (sig p238) the iwb carry was just uncomfortable. I am skinny. Like really skinny. Everything sticks out on me. So i was very concerned with what and how I carried. I would try it out with my neighbors in the cul de sac to see if they noticed since most of us are all friends. Iwb was easily noticed while own went unnoticed, seems kind of backwards but the reason being was the clips over my belt and the fact I am so narrow made them stick out so yeah the gun was concealed but it was obvious I had something on my side. So in short if your tall and thin (I'm 150 and 6ft) then you have to work hard to hide anything. Small frame gun and own carried about 4 o clock works for me. Your results may vary.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

I am familiar with OWB vs IWB, but would like to discuss Tuckable IWB. I have heard great things about the Crossbreed, but have a question specifically about tuckables.

Most of my shirts fall at least six inches below my belt.

How much of the shirt is actually tuckable?
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

WildBill wrote:I am familiar with OWB vs IWB, but would like to discuss Tuckable IWB. I have heard great things about the Crossbreed, but have a question specifically about tuckables.

Most of my shirts fall at least six inches below my belt.

How much of the shirt is actually tuckable?
It will only be an inch or two below the top of your pants right where the holster is because of the design of the holster. You pull the shirt down around it as best you can and blouse the shirt enough so that the grip of the gun doesn't "print too badly. It's an art.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

I usually carry IWB with a CompTac Minotaur. I love it. (It's basically the same as the Crossbreed).
I can tuck over it fairly well. I'm 6'0" and 175 lbs and in good shape (mostly fit). I can tuck in a nice polo style shirt or a button down dress shirt over it if needed.
I usually don't have a tucked shirt on, but I've done it at times.

As for people noticing... trust me... over time, you will be shocked at what people do NOT notice. I am not convinced that I could carry an AR around and not have anyone notice. They're clueless. I've gone as far as carrying a big, giant 1911 (6" barrel) OWB with a somewhat tightly fitting polo style shirt on over it, and nobody noticed. In my mind, it was sooooo visible, but nobody noticed. I've also accidentally exposed my gun over the years, and nobody noticed. Just the other day at Randalls, I pulled my wallet out of my front pocket, and my shirt ended up resting on the grip of my Glock 32, and sat there. The person in front of me was talking to me at the time and didn't notice. So, the lesson is... be careful and discreet, but not paranoid about people noticing. They won't. I think it needs to be in their face before they notice, and sometimes I wonder if they will notice even then!

Return to “New to CHL?”