Belts

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Stumpjumper
Posts in topic: 2

Belts

Post by Stumpjumper »

I know this is probably opening a can of worms but what is a good belt. I purchased a 511 operator belt but don't know if that's a good choice or not. I'm sure that this has been beat to death but I couldn't find it anywhere. Sorry for the noob question.

Chris
What chance does America have if good people do nothing?

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Belts

Post by WildBill »

Stumpjumper wrote:I know this is probably opening a can of worms but what is a good belt. I purchased a 511 operator belt but don't know if that's a good choice or not. I'm sure that this has been beat to death but I couldn't find it anywhere. Sorry for the noob question.

Chris
I don't own one, but I have heard good things about them. I have the Wilderness Instructors belt which is an excellent belt. If the 5.11 is anything close, it's a good choice.
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Couldn't find anything? :headscratch

Searching "good" "gunbelt" yields 107 hits.

Searching "good" "gun" "belt" yields 1398 hits.

I've heard the 5.11 instructor belts are good, but don't know about the operator belt.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Stumpjumper

Post by Stumpjumper »

C-dub wrote:Couldn't find anything? :headscratch

I've heard the 5.11 instructor belts are good, but don't know about the operator belt.

you got me on the search. Didn't notice it up in the corner and just started scrolling down page by page. I performed a search and waallaa-there it is.

Thanks
What chance does America have if good people do nothing?

gdanaher
Banned

Post by gdanaher »

El Paso Saddlery

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Comptac kydex reinforced ... made in Texas by Texans :txflag:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

In answer to your original question. Hubby and I both have 511 belts and for training and "every day " they are great! As a girl I am not a huge fan of the velcro sound in restrooms when I wear it out somewhere (i.e. weekend errands) but it does a decent job at stabilizing the holster. Works well with losing weight too. ;-)
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

5.11 belts do a good job holding guns, and they will stay stiff for years as desired.

However, they are also known for a thin finish on their leather than will get scuffed and show wear very easily.

I still have a few 5.11 belts that I bought for $1.98 on clearance a few years ago. I certainly got my money's worth.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Stumpjumper wrote:
C-dub wrote:Couldn't find anything? :headscratch

you got me on the search. Didn't notice it up in the corner and just started scrolling down page by page. I performed a search and waallaa-there it is.

Thanks
Fair enough. I thought you had tried that. I don't remember how long it took me to notice the search thing, but it probably wasn't within my first 15 posts.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

http://www.TheBeltMan.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bullhide, Horsehide and Elephanthide belts. Excellent quality.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

I bought one of these recently. I have enjoyed it ever since. It is a heavy duty gun belt and I use it everyday.

http://www.jbpholsters.com/servlet/the- ... Gun/Detail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Belts are like spouses... what you like might not be what I like...

I like this one, a lot... http://www.volundgearworks.com/belts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

YMMV.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

IIRC, the 5.11 Operator belt is identical to the Instructor, except that the Operator is 1.75" wide and the Instructor is 1.5" wide. Both are high-test nylon webbing with steel buckles. A 1.75" belt won't fit any but specialized belt loops, including those on the standard 5.11 tactical pants, so that may be a consideration.

The 5.11 web belts--most web belts--are quite serviceable and will last a long time. If they get sweaty, they can also be rinsed and line dried. The only thing I'll mention is that they aren't very thick, unless you get one with an internal Kydex stiffener. If you use an IWB holster with standard Kydex clips (the kind that overlap the outside of the belt) there's less for the clip to hold onto. That's not an issue with "C" type clips or, of course, full leather loops. Decent leather belts are about twice as expensive, but have the thickness that works reliably with any kind of IWB holster clip.

There's a place for both, though. With Kydex OWB holsters, I always use a nylon web belt, either 5.11 or Blackhawk. But I have leather belts from The Beltman and Comp-Tac, and use those most of the time when carrying with an IWB holster.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Great quality belts without the 24 month wait line.

http://www.bullhidebelts.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...I'm going on 4 years with my Wilderness Instructor belt...no signs of twisting or rolling...I carry heavy and work hard in it...one time I got sheet rock mud in it and rinsed it out...best belt I've ever had...right at $40...Velcro makes for easy loosening/tightening...

Return to “New to CHL?”