Carrying Empty Holster (Waiting for CHL)

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

couzin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carrying Empty Holster (Waiting for CHL)

Post by couzin »

Don't wear a leather holster without the weapon in it. A molded leather holster will start to deform (especially an IWB) from pressure, body oils and sweat, and it will potentially take a 'set' that will no longer retain the weapon (or - make it difficult to remove and/or replace (possibly disasterous)).
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Topic author
WickedOwl
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WickedOwl »

couzin wrote:Don't wear a leather holster without the weapon in it. A molded leather holster will start to deform (especially an IWB) from pressure, body oils and sweat, and it will potentially take a 'set' that will no longer retain the weapon (or - make it difficult to remove and/or replace (possibly disasterous)).
I had a feeling this kind of thing might happen. Thanks for the info.

81aggie

Post by 81aggie »

JJVP wrote:I have 2 crossbreed supertucks, one for my Taurus PT111 and one for my Ruger SR9c. Love them. Both came on less than the 4-5 week stated on the web site. It was more like 2-3 weeks each. They were ordered at different times, months apart. Looks like they are getting busier at crossbreed.
Same here, but my first Supertuck was for a compact 1911, took about 2-3 weeks to arrive. Ordered another one probably about 6 months or so later for a Ruger SR9c (great gun IMHO), that one took almost 6 weeks to get here so either they are getting busier or there are a lot of SR9c's being carried. Regardless, I think you'll be happy with yours when it comes. They are very comfortable, have good retention, and are easy to adjust the cant and depth-of-carry.

schufflerbot

Post by schufflerbot »

i've been wearing my holstered weapon around the house - pretty much 24/7 since i got it in the mail, lol. i have to say, it started off feeling VERY awkward and uncomfortable. now, after a few weeks... i dont even notice it and have to double check that it's NOT there when i leave the house.

i don't think an empty holster will do you any good, unless you put a weighted training pistol or a few lead bars in it while you tote it around town. ;)

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

Did the same while waiting for my CHL. Always wore it around the house and it got to the point I would take off my pants to go to bed, and then have to take the gun to the safe since I forgot it was there. I use a CBST for my XDM 3.8 9mm and another one is on the way for my Kahr PM9. I like CrossBreed because both of those guns have Crimson Trace LaserGuards in place and most holster makers make them for the add-ons.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

Only a weighted holster will free and behave like the real thing. Not having the gun in it can deform it speaking as an experienced leather worker.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott in Houston »

Buy one of those blue, models, shaped like the real thing? You know, the ones used at gun stores in displays...
I know it doesn't weigh the same, but it will hold the shape, and you'll get used to the idea of concealing.

Not sure I'd do this... but thought I'd suggest just as part of the brain storming.

Return to “New to CHL?”