New Member needing help

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

RVN War Dawg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New Member needing help

Post by RVN War Dawg »

I have had a CHL for over 12 years. S & W revolvers are reliable and proven. Used they are a solid value. The K frames are a good size for a "learner" pistol. The K frame model come in a round butt or a square butt. The round butt is more concealable. For used guns look at the finish, some holster wear should be expected but no rust. in blue steel pistols. Adjustable sights are a big plus. The models that have non adjustable sights are not a "precise" as the models that have the famous S & W micrometer sights. There should be no dings on the front sight or wings on the rear sight. The cylinder should lock solid (no wiggle) when the hammer is cocked. A 357 offers the advantage of firing both .38 and .357 magnum rounds. My favorite revolver is a S & W Model 65, 3 inch bull barrel that is 30+ years old. That model is called Ladysmith, now. But at one time the 3 inch barrel was a production run for the FBI. I am sold on stainless steel. It makes it so much easier to keep clean. Even stainless steel need a light coat of lube! The model 67 (stainless of course) with a 4 inch barrel, square butt, adjustable sights, was my first personal revolver. I carried the blue steel version in the AF until I retired in the mid 80's. The J frames are easier to conceal, just not as much fun to shoot. My wife prefers her J frame, but that is what she carried as a detective.

Find grips to make your handgun fit your hands. Pachmayr is the first choice of shooters, gunsmiths, law enforcement professionals and firearm manufacturers for top quality handgun grips. My daughter learned to shoot on a revolver and I gave her a Glock for a graduation present from college.

Revolvers are also easier to maintain and to learn to shoot with. Automatics are great, but they require a learning curve and a cleaning schedule. I carry a Kimber, but when I go to the range I shoot plenty of 3 round magazines. This creates the muscle memory for faster reloads.
Don't be afraid of the answer, if you ask a question!

Return to “New to CHL?”