To chamber or not to chamber

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

OldSchool
Posts in topic: 4

Re: To chamber or not to chamber

Post by OldSchool »

Dave2 wrote:
Excaliber wrote:To expand on that thought a bit, being uncomfortable about carrying a chambered round is a sure indication of one or more of the following:

1. Incomplete knowledge of exactly how the weapon operates
2. Lack of confidence in one's own ability to carry and operate it safely
3. A lack of understanding of the dynamics of deadly threat encounters
4. A lack of faith in the gun's ability to not fire without having the trigger pulled (but then I would argue that such guns are not suitable for defensive carrying)
Sigh.... I guess you're right. If I have any doubt at all about my firearm and/or my ability to use it safely, then I'd better just hang it up. It's a shame, really, but I guess it had to happen someday....

Of course, I'm the kind of person who finds it hard to have complete and absolute faith in anything I do at any given time....
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

lonewolf
Posts in topic: 5

Post by lonewolf »

Doubts are a part of life. I doubt the police will arrive in time to protect me and mine should the need arise, therefore I choose to make the best effort I can. This is no disparagement to our friends in law enforcement, but they are not psychic, nor do they have teleporters. If it were a perfect world, we wouldn't need law enforcement.

Just be as reasonably prepared as you can. And be as safe as reasonably possible while doing it.

Don't hang it up. I plan to be buried with my weapon, not because of it.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

OldSchool wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
Excaliber wrote:To expand on that thought a bit, being uncomfortable about carrying a chambered round is a sure indication of one or more of the following:

4. A lack of faith in the gun's ability to not fire without having the trigger pulled (but then I would argue that such guns are not suitable for defensive carrying)
Sigh.... I guess you're right. If I have any doubt at all about my firearm and/or my ability to use it safely, then I'd better just hang it up. It's a shame, really, but I guess it had to happen someday....
I was referring to guns that are prone to fire when dropped, or broken in such a way that the sear can't properly hold back the hammer, or some other such thing.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Topic author
The Mad Moderate
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Mad Moderate »

had a day on the range today, took the advice of some of the experienced minds, tested the de-cocker till i was satisfied in its safety. Although i cannot bring myself to carry in "condition 0" as some do, I do find myself carrying with 15 +1 hammer down with a good holster and a DA/SA trigger I am confident with the combination of safety and readiness of this. thanks for all the input folks. I look forward to reading more posts because the best way to learn is to ask and the best people to ask are here
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Beiruty »

loadedliberal wrote:had a day on the range today, took the advice of some of the experienced minds, tested the de-cocker till i was satisfied in its safety. Although i cannot bring myself to carry in "condition 0" as some do, I do find myself carrying with 15 +1 hammer down with a good holster and a DA/SA trigger I am confident with the combination of safety and readiness of this. thanks for all the input folks. I look forward to reading more posts because the best way to learn is to ask and the best people to ask are here
DA/SA is what I carry, called service pistol for a reason. Carried loaded and hammer down (using decocker of course). Safe to carry like that and no need to have a safety. My PX4SC has the decoker/safety Type-F combo. Previous owner an LEO converted to to type G just a decoker and no manual safety. manual safety is pointless. Also, the PX4SC has extra safety pin that goes up (visible to the shooter) and frees the firing pin and said safety only deactivate when the trigger is pulled.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

chartreuse

Post by chartreuse »

Dave2 wrote:I was referring to guns that are prone to fire when dropped, or broken in such a way that the sear can't properly hold back the hammer, or some other such thing.
I have some like that. They're of historical interest (to me, anyway) and they only get fed ammo when I take them to the range for an outing.

Then I have the ones I carry. The only time they don't have a round chambered is when I'm cleaning them, or handing them to a buddy because I thought he might like to take a look.

Matthew2000tx

Post by Matthew2000tx »

If you read about gun fights... seconds count. I don't want to rack the slide to defend my life. I carry one in the camber in my Ruger LCP all the time in my pocket. I have a good sturdy leather case I keep it in and I don't put anything else in the pocket. In my left pocket I have a loaded spare mag.

I'm thinking about getting +1 mag extenders to expand my fire power.
Matthew
4/24/10 Class taken
4/28/10 Online app
5/17/10 packet mailed
6/16/10 Plastic

MickyD

Post by MickyD »

OldSchool wrote:Folks, I request that you lighten up a bit. (I can't believe I just said that! :evil2: )

I applaud the OP for asking the question. It shows serious (and appropriate) thought and concern. :tiphat:

I'm not sure the "search" thing applies here. The tenor of this particular discussion seems to change; used to be (seemed to be) that the most important thing was that the licensee be comfortable and familiar with the firearm, otherwise they might not carry at all. You just can't "teach" this familiarity in a short course (last I knew, infantrymen were told to sleep with the rifle). ;-)

As always, the humble opinion of a relative newbie. :tiphat:
"Sleep with the rifle"

HHMMM The rifle in the equivalent of condition 1?

That might be a scary thought. :headscratch
Mickey

Online application submitted: 10/16/2010
L-1 Fingerprints: 10/20/2010
Taurus PT640 40S&W: ?/2011
Taurus 24/7 40S&W: 10/20/2010 retired
CHL class: 11/6/2010
Mailed to Austin: 11/8/2010 Rec'd 11/10/2010
CHL received: 12/2/2010 24 days mailout to mailbox

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Excaliber »

OldSchool wrote:
Dave2 wrote:

Of course, I'm the kind of person who finds it hard to have complete and absolute faith in anything I do at any given time....
Old School,

I didn't intend my remarks to suggest that you not carry the gun if you hadn't overcome the entire learning curve yet. My thought was that these points could be used as evaluation tools regarding just how ready you are to use a gun to manage a defensive encounter, and what areas need a bit more work.

Unless you are fortunate enough to have lots of warning from great situational awareness, a typical deadly force defensive encounter is a very short, brutal affair that demands extremely high, mistake free performance that only comes about with lots of hard work and training well beyond the content of the CHL classes. My concern is that folks who aren't aware of this might believe they are fully prepared to manage a deadly encounter before they are truly ready, and may receive a rude surprise if they are so unfortunate as to have their skills put to the test when life is on the line.

None of us had all these elements all together the first time we wore our guns, and if you are uncomfortable carrying with a round chambered, by all means, you shouldn't do that until you fully understand how to do it safely and you're OK with it. If you spend the time to find out exactly how every part of your gun operates and how it should be handled, and carefully think about what you're doing each time you do it, you will increase your gun handling skills and carrying comfort relatively quickly.

There's plenty of info readily available in print and on the web. Developing this knowledge will increase both your confidence and your comfort, and over time will make the gun a trusted tool rather than an unnatural appendage that must be worried about as it may feel at first.

If you follow this process, you'll end up covering all the points I suggested and you'll be far better prepared to use your handgun successfully if the need ever arises.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I did a lot of reading and thinking before deciding to carry. It was a short period, maybe only a couple of months, after getting my first gun after my daughter was born. It had occurred to me that I might also need it away from the house. I also spoke to a few people, and a couple of police officers, regarding my options and tactics. From those talks I decided on what might be the simplest and probably most reliable gun, the Glock.

I have carried condition ZERO all the time from day one. I figured that if and when the time came for me to need a gun I would be under a lot of stress and would need it NOW. I didn't want to take any chances with a safety switch. If I carried with it off I might forget and switch it on. If I carried without a round chambered I might forget and pull the trigger only to hear "click." So, I bought a Glock and went straight to condition ZERO and haven't looked back.

I like the looks of a lot of other guns, but I didn't get one for looks. Other than at the range, my wife and daughter are the only ones to have seen either of my Glocks. Not even any of my other family members have seen them away from the range. Unless I ever OC somewhere, the only time anyone else will see them they will wish they hadn't.

BTW, if I ever OC somewhere it will still be condition ZERO.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

MickyD

Post by MickyD »

Along the same line, my weapon is hammerless, and has a thumb safety and a decocker.

I am firmly settled on a round in the chamber.

The options I am considering remain:

1. Cocked, Safety on. (single action)
2. Decocked, Safety off, double action (there is a trigger safety & firing pin block)
3. Decocked, Safety on.

I'm interested in others thoughts on this, I'm currently leaning toward #2 above
Mickey

Online application submitted: 10/16/2010
L-1 Fingerprints: 10/20/2010
Taurus PT640 40S&W: ?/2011
Taurus 24/7 40S&W: 10/20/2010 retired
CHL class: 11/6/2010
Mailed to Austin: 11/8/2010 Rec'd 11/10/2010
CHL received: 12/2/2010 24 days mailout to mailbox

USA1

Post by USA1 »

MickyD wrote:Along the same line, my weapon is hammerless, and has a thumb safety and a decocker.

I am firmly settled on a round in the chamber.

The options I am considering remain:

1. Cocked, Safety on. (single action)
2. Decocked, Safety off, double action (there is a trigger safety & firing pin block)
3. Decocked, Safety on.

I'm interested in others thoughts on this, I'm currently leaning toward #2 above
I like # 2

When put into an 'up close and personal' defensive situation, simple is better.
Point and pull the trigger is what you want IMO.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

calvinbr

Post by calvinbr »

USA1 wrote:
XtremeDuty.45 wrote:
Teamless wrote:
dicion wrote:Yes. Chamber. End of story. :thumbs2:
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
:iagree: nuf sed
+1
:iagree:
Rule one, Be Armed!
PROUD C.H.L. holder!!!!!!
PROUD NRA member
Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

calvinbr wrote:
USA1 wrote:
XtremeDuty.45 wrote:
Teamless wrote:
dicion wrote:Yes. Chamber. End of story. :thumbs2:
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
:iagree: nuf sed
+1
:iagree:
:thumbs2: :iagree:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Matthew2000tx wrote:If you read about gun fights... seconds count. I don't want to rack the slide to defend my life.
There's another reason for not racking the slide. It isn't exactly quiet. The last thing you want to do is give the BG advance warning that you are preparing to fire. You want the sound that get's his attention to be BANG!

Oh, and I'm always chambered and decocked. When I shoot IDPA, the first shot is always from the decocked condition.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Return to “New to CHL?”