pre-CHL/how often do you carry?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

SpringerFan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: pre-CHL/how often do you carry?

Post by SpringerFan »

I only carry when I am awake.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Ruger74

Post by Ruger74 »

i carry everyday and everywhere except to my mailbox. The one day you aren't carrying might just be your last.
"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well-prepared to meet an enemy."
-------George Washington

Topic author
1s1k52
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 1s1k52 »

Ok is this in relation to white rock lake or lake lavon or none of the above? tonight was my 4th trip to lavon this month and haven't caught anything-side note
(insert clever signature here)

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RPB »

1s1k52 wrote:Ok is this in relation to white rock lake or lake lavon or none of the above? tonight was my 4th trip to lavon this month and haven't caught anything-side note
Forum post just said White Rock, I'm unsure if he means White Rock Lake, or White Rock Creek, but TPWD shows carappie as "excellent" right now .
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fi ... hite_rock/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See Angling Opportunities
Crappie biting well, but with cold fronts coming, timing is necessary. You might want to ask the fellows in either bank fishing or crappie sections what timing is best, ie, right before front/3 days after or whatever.
11/19/10
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubb ... ost5533148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, White Rock LAKE is a place to fish where you can carry.

I don''t know where White Rock Creek is, ( I moved away from Dallas/Richardson in 1978, can't recall much nowadays)
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubb ... ppie_Run_W" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

ex_dsmr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ex_dsmr »

How much one carries (legally) is up to that individual.

IMO, I cant guess when something bad will go down. Thats why I have insurance. If I could, id be a rich man.
Not every bad situation goes down in the "ghetto". Ive read too many "I just went out to the store real quick and left my CCW. I wish I had it!"

So for me personally? 100% of the time that im legally able to.

boba

Post by boba »

If I'm wearing clothes, I'm probably wearing a gun

Topic author
1s1k52
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 1s1k52 »

I intend on starting to practice pretty seriously after the first of this year. Money doesn't call for the ammo I intend on using to get/stay ready. I intend on buying in bulk so...

Do I have to do everything all at once? What I mean was. If I pay for the electronic prints now are they good forever? or do i have to send those in with the packet, photos, motorized ap, and CHL course completion? Unless I misunderstand what it says 140.00 goes to the state. Any class fees are all to the instructor? So I will most likely take it in Terrel for 50.00 It is about 45 or so east of me.

Did anyone train with a digital timer? I was thinking of getting one not sure if it would be overkill. Decided to get a crossbreed supertuck when I get a holster. Thanks to a lot of you guys and some other people. Again money with Christmas and 4 birthdays this month I'm out of it.

Thanks for all the inputs.
(insert clever signature here)

wally775

Post by wally775 »

You do not have to do everything at once but there is
no real reason to spread it out. DPS will not really process anything until all your information is received.

Someone has already pointed out the situation with electronic prints.
There is no reason to go to L1 if you have not filled out the online application
or mailed your packet as DPS will have no record of you to apply the prints to your folder.

With what you have said, I (MHO) would take the course and then, at present, you have two years to spend the $140.00 for application. Also I have to say IMHO it is better to
complete everything in the shortest period of time.

For qualifying I would not stress out over practice, practice, practice. I believe for qualifying purposes the average person would be good to go after 150 rounds on a B-27 target.
For competition sure, but for the CHL I would not waste the money on a timer.

These are of course just my opinions. :tiphat:

Good luck.

ex_dsmr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ex_dsmr »

1s1k52 wrote:I intend on starting to practice pretty seriously after the first of this year. Money doesn't call for the ammo I intend on using to get/stay ready. I intend on buying in bulk so...

Do I have to do everything all at once? What I mean was. If I pay for the electronic prints now are they good forever? or do i have to send those in with the packet, photos, motorized ap, and CHL course completion? Unless I misunderstand what it says 140.00 goes to the state. Any class fees are all to the instructor? So I will most likely take it in Terrel for 50.00 It is about 45 or so east of me.

Did anyone train with a digital timer? I was thinking of getting one not sure if it would be overkill. Decided to get a crossbreed supertuck when I get a holster. Thanks to a lot of you guys and some other people. Again money with Christmas and 4 birthdays this month I'm out of it.

Thanks for all the inputs.
Practice is good, but it does not have to be expensive. Im not sure what you mean by "Money doesn't call for the ammo I intend on using to get/stay ready."? Are you talking about practicing 100% of the time with your carry ammo? I dont know a single person who does that. Get some cheap plinker ammo for the bulk and get in a box or so of your carry ever so often. Come to think of it, the only time I hear of anyone using carry ammo in a non-situation is just making sure their firearm feeds/shoots it reliably.

Do you have to do everything at once? No. Would I string it out over several months? No. IIRC things like the application are good for only one year. You have to provide L1 with your "number" so they know who its attached to. If your worried aboud funds just save untill your at that point then do it all at once. Ive never heard of someones packet getting lost in Austin but id rather them not sit on my information for an extended period of time.

Train with a timer? No. Youll have plenty of time for each CoF. I nor anyone in the class felt rushed. If your moderately proficient with your firearm youll do just fine. Everyone in my class was waiting on the clock and noone scored less than 98%.

texasjeep44

Post by texasjeep44 »

It goes on when the belt goes on in the morning, and comes off when the belt comes off at night. Once you establish a routine it is no different than putting on a pair of shoes.

Good luck.
Just remember shot placement is much more important with what you shoot than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.

http://www.ddchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LOLWUT
Banned

Post by LOLWUT »

With exception to places that are illegal due to the respective laws of our government, I carry EVERYWHERE.

Horseman

Post by Horseman »

lonewolf wrote:Pretty much 24/7 wherever, whenever legal. If an impromptu side trip or something comes up, I disarm appropriately (discreetly) and proceed. I admit my wife did ask that I disarmed before going to church one time. She said it made her feel "weird".
I wouldn't disarm at Church. There have been several shootings at churches.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

carry where ever it is legal. Why not you have a CHL. Do you think violent criminal cares about a CHL? Do you think they are not saying:"Man! We need dat for protektshin!"
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

RAM4171
Location: On a dead end dirt road in the deep dark woods of East TEXAS

Post by RAM4171 »

Bullwhip wrote:usually at home too, until it gets late and I "get comfy" like my wife says wiht pj pants or sweats. Then the guns go in racks, just a few steps away. Still armed, just not carrying.
An S&W airweight is great for when I "get comfy"
:fire
Back to the OP, the only time I disarm is when I get under the covers or in the shower and am still never than an arm's length away. I don't even take it off when I nap on the sofa, I usually don't know exactally when I'll fall asleep. :roll:
Μολὼν λαβέ
Jesus was not politically correct, therefore I refuse to be
To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic-TN

smasraum

Post by smasraum »

Walmart is pretty much the cheapest place to get ammo. Ammunitiontogo.com also has good prices. This will probably help your shooting: http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_trai ... tg_100306/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, always focus on the front sight. If you can, train yourself to shoot with both eyes open. Practice dry firing with your XD. When you do, completely empty the gun and put the ammo in a different room. Accidents can and do happen.

Even when you are practicing dry firing practice the 4 rules. http://www.reloadammo.com/gun-law.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1 always treat every gun as if it were loaded, even when it's not, it is.
2. Never point a gun at anything that you aren't prepared to destroy
3. Know your target and what's behind/down range from it.
4. Don't put your finger on the trigger until the target is in your sights

Get your license.
Steve
SA XDM 9
Friendswood

Return to “New to CHL?”