First Weekend in Polite Society

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
bobdavis
Posts in topic: 5

First Weekend in Polite Society

Post by bobdavis »

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
-- Robert A. Heinlein

My CHL arrived in the mail on Wed., Sept. 9 after 120 days of processing in Austin. It was 4 months to the day from my class with Lone Star Handguns. The wait felt longer.

I thought I might get a chance to do a WWW, but, since the week was pretty busy, I didn't get a chance to go anywhere. Finally, Saturday dawned and we had the normal running around that consumes weekends with little kids.

My carry setup is a Wilderness 5 stitch and Comp-Tac M-Tac holding a Glock 19 loaded with corbons. I've been known to shoot in competition and carry weapons around while hunting, so the idea of a gun with a loaded chamber isn't anything new to me.

Saturday
I wore shorts, a t-shirt, and a solid blue "polo" shirt over. I racked the slide and stripped one off the top of the mag, holstered and topped the magazine up with one more.
My day consisted of running around to:
  • Ballet class for my daughter
    Costco
    Lunch at a popular mexican restaurant
    gun range (new Hi-Power!, got a burn on neck from .45 brass)
    Target
    Chic-fil-a for dinner
    shopping for some clothes.
Normally we don't go out so long with the kids, but they had a chance for some quiet time and a nap at home while I was at the range (neither of them are big enough yet to hold a gun, but the time will come when they join me there).

12 hours of carrying the weapon started to get pretty annoying. The holster shifts around, and getting in and out of cars is not simple. I could go for periods of time walking around without really noticing it, but if I was getting up and down I definitely noticed it. As some time passes, it seems the holster is getting broken in a little and is getting more carryable.

Sunday
I wore shorts, a t-shirt, and a casual, patterned button up shirt over.

Sunday was a lot lighter -
  • San Antonio Zoo
    Local burger joint
    Grocery Store
Wore gun for 7 or 8 hours. I finally took the belt/holster/gun off to do some projects involving crawling around on the floor. Being outside at the zoo really showed the importance of the t-shirt. It was hot! The gun didn't irritate me though.

That's it. The first weekend. It wasn't as odd as I thought it might be.

I've carried around a lot more since then and it's getting a lot more comfortable. I'm learning where the pistol should be on my belt for my life and shape. I'm also learning that the extra 20 pounds I'm carrying around my middle has got to go. Maybe even 30. I'm also starting to wonder if some choices of clothing aren't going to work for me.

Does anyone else have issues with the MTAC shifting around on them? The back seems a little slick sometimes.
Also, jeans seem to work for me better than the shorts I was wearing. I wonder if it's the position on my hips?

Anyway - that's it. Delayed, but written.

On a side note, a coworker just got his CHL - 58 days from submission to plastic in hand. They're definitely getting their act together in Austin.

bob
05.09.2009 : CHL Course Completed (http://www.lonestarhandgun.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
05.11.2009 : Paperwork Mailed
05.12.2009 : Paperwork Received
05.18.2009 : DPS Cashed Check
06.18.2009 : PIN received
09.03.2009 : Application Approved
09.09.2009 : In Hand

pdubyoo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First Weekend in Polite Society

Post by pdubyoo »

Welcome to the forum Bob. Thanks for the post, but you're not off the hook. You still have to do the Wally Walk. :mrgreen:
Nov. 2010...Check!
Nov. 2012...Don't Give Up!
Jan. 2013...True Change!

cowboymd

Post by cowboymd »

Welcome to the forum bobdavis :tiphat: ....I've been carrying the Kimber in a C-TAC when tucking, but did receive a M-TAC yesterday. Haven't had a chance to try it yet for a long period but it does feel more comfortable than the C-TAC. I am thinking with the leather backing it won't be shifting as much as the C-TAC.
TSRA Member
NRA Life Member

Keith

Post by Keith »

As you get used too it it will become like your 3rd arm and you wont even notice it.
When the bullet leaves
You can't bring it back

USA1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by USA1 »

Bob , that was one of the best reports i've read so far...even without pictures .
thanks for being so descriptive . i enjoyed it . :tiphat:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

LostInAustin

Post by LostInAustin »

Gotta a friend who has the M-Tac with velcro and the velcro belt that Com tac makes. Says it does not drift. ;-)
Colt Combat Commander
Colt Govt Model Series 70
Beretta 92FS

LostInAustin

Post by LostInAustin »

USA1 wrote:Bob , that was one of the best reports i've read so far...even without pictures .
thanks for being so descriptive . i enjoyed it . :tiphat:
Totally agree....didn't need pics! :tiphat: But I still want to see them when you do them! :mrgreen:

Oh and BTW....welcome Bob. :tiphat: This place will grow on you!
Colt Combat Commander
Colt Govt Model Series 70
Beretta 92FS

Topic author
bobdavis

Post by bobdavis »

Thanks for the kind words.

The moving around is lessening - I think it was part of the breaking in process on the holster. It stays put pretty much. What's bothering me now is how my undershirt bites into my belt-line where it bunches around my waist. Maybe I need to get tighter undershirts...

When there's a picture that's interesting, I'll share it.

bob
05.09.2009 : CHL Course Completed (http://www.lonestarhandgun.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Topic author
bobdavis

Post by bobdavis »

Update from a year of living more or less the same few days I outlined in the original post. Not a lot has changed. My carry rig is the same, minus the Wilderness belt (which I don't like, but still have) and I dabbled with appendix carry for a while when my back started to hurt, but I'm back to the MTAC at 3:00. I carry as often as is legally an option for me, and I pay attention to what I'm doing. In the process I've learned some things.

Some items of note:
  • Nobody has ever asked about why my shirt's untucked.
  • Nobody has ever "busted" me.
  • my kids have never mentioned the gun in a public setting - even after bonking foreheads on the rear sight.
  • talking about carrying with your kids before it comes up in public will save you embarrassment and explaining.
  • I never "forget I have it on", but the gun is far from the focus of my mind.
  • I find that I'm much more likely to wave an annoying driver on, or be more patient with people (why?)
  • I have come to a new appreciation for my carry gun (glock 19)
  • I've tried a couple different holsters, but still like the MTAC.
  • I've adjusted the MTAC a couple different ways, but I'm still not sure I've hit "the way".
  • Appendix carry can really work - but it's a little scary.
  • Good appendix holsters are sort of magical beasts - but they're great.
  • I sort of wish I had a nicer setup than the very utilitarian MTAC/Glock for going out to nicer events.
  • I don't like riggers belts (Wilderness 5 stitch)
  • I believe that the "The Beltman" bullhide belt I have coming to me will be great.
  • The double thick Cabella's belt does ok for a cheaper solution that's temporary.
  • I wish I had more time to practice.
  • I wish I had more time and money for training.
  • 16 rounds onboard is comforting.
  • a pistol that holds 16 rounds isn't really that uncomfortable
  • undershirts are hot in the middle of summer
  • Kydex is awesome.
  • take your gun off prior to having to jump into the pool to extract your overly brave child.
  • Don't worry about the kydex holster though.
  • button-up plaid sport shirts are awesome.
  • Seer sucker shirts will really break up any printing.
  • a black gun will show through a pink polo.
  • nobody sees your gun.
  • if you have a friend who's a "hugger", she probably won't notice either. (hint, lead with your offhand - left in my case)
  • don't fidget with your gun.
  • I'm really looking forward to cooler weather.
  • 30.06 signs make me feel unwanted.
  • when you accidently hand a CHL to someone for ID instead of your DL, they probably won't freak.
  • having a CHL isn't something you discuss with everyone
  • old (dead head hippie) girlfriends from college might unfriend you on facebook, for example... :cool:
Looking at my post count here, I see that I also read a lot more than I write... so I'm apparently more interested in listening and learning. Maybe after a year I can talk more.

That's a quick list of things the past year has taught me.

Hope you get something out of it!

bob

USA1

Post by USA1 »

bobdavis wrote: take your gun off prior to having to jump into the pool to extract your overly brave child.
This sounds like it could be a thread in and of it's self. :lol: ... :bigear:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

KFP

Post by KFP »

USA1 wrote:
bobdavis wrote: take your gun off prior to having to jump into the pool to extract your overly brave child.
I bet the Glock was fine! :thumbs2:
Life Member NRA & TSRA

TxSheepdog

Post by TxSheepdog »

KFP wrote:
USA1 wrote:

I was thinking of that exact scenario today. I think my 1911 would drag me under! :lol:
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Topic author
bobdavis

Post by bobdavis »

TxSheepdog wrote:
KFP wrote:
USA1 wrote:

I was thinking of that exact scenario today. I think my 1911 would drag me under! :lol:
As it happened, I did think to disarm prior to getting out of the car. I just figured watching kids swim could wind up getting me wet. The pistol was locked up in the car, and my phone, keys, etc. were safely tucked into my shoes - which were off and under a chair. When I did have to hop into the water, my belt and holster got wet (Kydex is awesome), but the gun, iPhone, wallet, etc. were all dry and functional.

I guess I was saying, "Think ahead".

bob

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Pools are why you wear your Glock. :patriot:
Life NRA