Anyone carry blanks?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Fawkes
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anyone carry blanks?

Post by Fawkes »

If your gun is drawn, warning time is over - it's time to stop the course of action, that if continued could result in death or serious bodily harm to yourself or an innocent third party.
Todd B.
Darn Yankee
NRA Certified Firearm Safety Thug

SecedeTX

Post by SecedeTX »

stevie_d_64 wrote:I would never ask the question of, "is anyone shooting blanks"...That could be misconstrued... ;-)
Ahhemmm.....yes, by choice.

On the other hand, Hornaday Critical Defense rounds in the daily carry...no blanks ever.
"Do or Do Not, there is no try" -- Yoda

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

Man, this thread is still going?
Byron Dickens

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

bdickens wrote:Man, this thread is still going?
:deadhorse:
CHL since 01/26/09

SenileDavid

Post by SenileDavid »

I doubt the BG will have a blank when he responds fire. You may have 1 shot... the LAST thing you want is that to be a BLANK.
You draw your weapon with the intention of using it, to STOP immediate danger; this is NOT a game.
"Someday someone may kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

The biblical source for the obligation to defend oneself against an unprovoked attack is Exodus 22:1. Other English bible versions, the King James Version for example, number this verse as 22:2, but the original Hebrew for my reference use. There the bible states, "If a thief is found breaking in, and is killed, no bloodguilt is incurred."

The Talmud: Self-Defense Against an Attacker is Required:

The legal wisdom in the Talmud was written down between 200 and 500 C.E.,during the final phases of the Roman Empire, before Jewish psychology had been much distorted by the ensuing centuries of persecution. In the Talmud, generations of sages properly interpret and apply the Laws set forth in the Five Books of Moses, the Torah.

The Talmud repeatedly mandates self-defense against an attacker. For example, in Talmud Tractate Sanhedrin -- which deals with Legal Judgments - theRabbis explain Exodus 22:1, which states, "If a burglar is caught in the act of breaking in, and is struck and killed, it is not considered an act of murder." The next sentence explains, "However, if he robs in broad daylight, then it is an act of murder [to kill him]."

The first sentence clearly refers to a burglar who works at night. This burglar may be killed, presumably because he enters covertly, knowing that people could be present. He is deemed to have lethal intent. If the homeowner is being robbed by his father or anyone else where it can be correctly determined by a court of law (hence the phrase 'broad daylight' -- if it is clear as daylight that the intruder would not harm the homeowner) that the intruder would never use deadly force to commit the robbery even should the occupant offer resistance, lethal defense is not permissable. If the intruder and his intentions are in doubt, deadly force may be used by the homeowner to defend himself or herself even if the robbery occurs in broad daylight.

On this text, the Rabbis base a general proposition: "If someone comes to kill you, arise quickly and kill him." The Rabbis explain that a thief who enters a building covertly, must know that people:

are likely to be in the building;
will likely try to defend their property.
Thus, the Rabbis presume such an intruder to be ready for a confrontation. They conclude that any person confronting such a thief must be ready to use deadly force against him, if necessary. Use of such force is not required - one does not have to kill the intruder -- but one must do so if that is the only way to save one's own life.(8)

"If I am ever faced with the situation where I must take a life to save my own, I want the most state of the art equipment available to fulfill my Torah obligation -- not a two-by-four or a letter opener, thanks very much. I do not skimp on any other item required to observe the Torah's commandments. Why should I use anything other than the best to perform this Torah precept?"
unknowen

so in short if you follow the old testiment and not the new version this may also help.So Under jewish law you clearly have an obligation to defend yourself. To further this failing to do so is viewed the same as suicide.

dicion
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dicion »

Please just let this thread die.

Mods, can we get it locked please? It's the zombie thread that just wont die XD People keep resurrecting it.

paltexvet

Post by paltexvet »

SINCE, this is an opinion forum here it goes...In the event one finds him/her-self in that last resort situation that one in which the good LORD chose not to intervene and let mankind's free will take over lead up to that second we all hope never comes.The bad guys first choice in his plan for crime was not blanks in his gun. Blanks are good for 2 things, learning how to shoot a fire arm under proper supervision and Hollywood. Bad idea to use blanks for the first shot. Must say this is a very interesting topic.
06/19/2010 Class taken
06/21/2010 Packet mailed
06/28/2010 Packet Received by DPS
07/03/2010 Online updates available
07/10/2010 Fingerprints complete
07/21/2010 Background check complete
07/21/2010 Manufacture Pending...
07/23/2010 Mailed
07/28/2010 CHL in hand 38 days from mailed to received!!!

InfoTechCHL2007

Post by InfoTechCHL2007 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Not me either. "Warning shots" are a horrible idea. Don't pull the gun until you have no other choice. Don't pull the trigger unless you really need to shoot the other guy. A warning shot simply leaves you with one less round, which you may later regret. And if you're carrying a blank in the chamber, then you are down a round from the get go.

And then there is the possibility that you don't have the luxury of a warning shot, and now you've got to clear a blank from the chamber, either by firing it or by racking the slide, before you can bring it into play in your own defense.

Bad idea all around.
Agreed. In the hopefully unlikely event that you will ever have to do so, once you bring your weapon out of its holster, you are making a very conscious and deliberate decision to use it. The situation at that point could likely be moving at a fast pace with an opponent who is potentially under the influence of drugs, adrenaline, and etc. Firing your weapon and "missing" may only escalate the already-dangerous situation and leave the opponent free to respond. One more thing to consider....what if your weapon jams (FTE, FTF, etc) after you fire the first (blank) round? With an already chambered round, chances are improved that you will, at the very least, be able to fire one round. Again, I hope this never becomes necessary.
Just a humble perspective.
Know your weapons

maximus2161

Post by maximus2161 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Not me either. "Warning shots" are a horrible idea. Don't pull the gun until you have no other choice. Don't pull the trigger unless you really need to shoot the other guy. A warning shot simply leaves you with one less round, which you may later regret. And if you're carrying a blank in the chamber, then you are down a round from the get go.

And then there is the possibility that you don't have the luxury of a warning shot, and now you've got to clear a blank from the chamber, either by firing it or by racking the slide, before you can bring it into play in your own defense.

Bad idea all around.
:iagree:

I have to agree here. If I have to point my gun at someone its not to 'scare' them. Its a LAST resort and things are bad. Infact I would not feel safe carrying a gun with a blank round or an empty chamber.

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KD5NRH »

cheezit wrote:The biblical source for the obligation to defend oneself against an unprovoked attack is Exodus 22:1.
What about Genesis 9:6? If one allows oneself to be murdered, (or simply wounded) it is not even remotely likely that the courts will impose such a sentence as the attacker having his blood shed by man outside of certain very rare circumstances. Failing to act, knowing that one's inaction will lead to a violation of scripture is, in itself, a transgression equal to a direct violation of the same scripture in many belief systems.

2crazy2carry

Post by 2crazy2carry »

Why get your zombie gun boy's cause this thread will live forever :smilelol5:

I do understand why someone would consider the warning shots. It is documented history that the mere sight of a gun has scared off more than just a few attackers.

That said it seems like a risk.

What if your attacked and the bg doesnt give you time. What if you need the shot "right now" and you are stuck trying to cycle through blanks.

It was smart idea on the surface but it has too many weakness' and probably is not the best condition to carry in.

Long live the resurection thread. :hurry:
9/05/10 - CHL Class Taken
9/25/10 - Package mailed to DPS
10/15/10 - Information put in DPS system
10/15/10 - Fingerprints under review
10/15/10 - Background Check under review
11/14/10 – BGC and finger prints cleared
11/14/10 - mailed - FINALLY :deadhorse:
11/18/10 - Plasteek in my shaking hands

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

2crazy2carry wrote:Why get your zombie gun boy's cause this thread will live forever :smilelol5:

I do understand why someone would consider the warning shots. It is documented history that the mere sight of a gun has scared off more than just a few attackers.

That said it seems like a risk.

What if your attacked and the bg doesnt give you time. What if you need the shot "right now" and you are stuck trying to cycle through blanks.

It was smart idea on the surface but it has too many weakness' and probably is not the best condition to carry in.

Long live the resurection thread. :hurry:
Must be trying to get your post count up to sell something :lol:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

2crazy2carry

Post by 2crazy2carry »

gigag04 wrote:Must be trying to get your post count up to sell something :lol:
Yeah, I am selling ppl like you better punch lines. :thumbs2:
9/05/10 - CHL Class Taken
9/25/10 - Package mailed to DPS
10/15/10 - Information put in DPS system
10/15/10 - Fingerprints under review
10/15/10 - Background Check under review
11/14/10 – BGC and finger prints cleared
11/14/10 - mailed - FINALLY :deadhorse:
11/18/10 - Plasteek in my shaking hands

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

2crazy2carry wrote:
gigag04 wrote:Must be trying to get your post count up to sell something :lol:
Yeah, I am selling ppl like you better punch lines. :thumbs2:
[joke]
Warning shot = 1 to COM, with a verbal command: "If you continue to attack me, I shall shoot you again. You've been warned!" :mrgreen:
[/joke]
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “New to CHL?”