What would be the best way to carry for a slim guy?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

USA1
Posts in topic: 5

Re: What would be the best way to carry for a slim guy?

Post by USA1 »

shortysboy09 , what area or city do you live in ?
Someone may be able to direct you to a store in your area .

If you live in Houston , I know of a great resource that may fill your needs.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Target1911
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Target1911 »

5'11 175....I carry IWB 90% of the time.
4" 1911 or G19
IWB Crossbreed Supertuck @ 4:00...any futjer forward gets painful
All under an XL t-shirt.
With my size a L t-shirt fits just right when not packin. I did have to go up to an XL shirt to hepl cover the goods. They do not look oversized for me.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

Topic author
shortysboy09
Posts in topic: 3

Post by shortysboy09 »

USA1 wrote:shortysboy09 , what area or city do you live in ?
Someone may be able to direct you to a store in your area .

If you live in Houston , I know of a great resource that may fill your needs.
I live in the Dallas area.
Disclaimer for all my posts: IANAL

My setup:

Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II or Bersa Thunder .380
Crossbreed Supertuck

NRA Member
TSRA Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Maybe we need to take the TexasCHLforum "Fashion Show" on the road.

Chas.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 4

Post by seamusTX »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Maybe we need to take the TexasCHLforum "Fashion Show" on the road.
It would be great to have a video of it.

- Jim

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

I carry a thin .380 like an LCP, P3AT or DB380 inside waistband at about 4:00-5:00 very comfortably and very concealed. That probably would work with any thinner pistol like a PM9 or PF9 too.

I usually wear a long, loose TeeShirt, with a Guyaberra shirt unbuttoned, over that when it's cooler, and just a Guyaberra shirt or just the Tee Shirt in the Summer.

After you have a "thin" pistol, consider the holster's thinness.
Some IWB/inside waistband hosters are "thinner" than others.
I like the thin ones which do NOT have the clip on the thickest part of the gun (which makes the whole package thicker) ....
instead of

Here are just a few more options (there are lots more) for us skinny guys:

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/IWB/t ... roductName" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://masterofconcealment.com/pgroup_d ... mode=image" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.smartcarry.com/shop/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (requires looser pants)

http://www.pagerpal.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.concealmentconcepts.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Big_Chuck

Post by Big_Chuck »

As several have already mentioned, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm 5'9", 150. Carry an XD 40, 4" barrel, Supertuck using a 1.75" Wilderness Instructor belt. I carry right at 3:00 and trust me, an extremely forward cant, good belt, great holster, helps pull the pistol right into your side. One thing I didn't see mentioned was build size as well as height/weight. I have a 30" waist and a 42" chest, so a pretty athletic build. Even small t-shirts sort of hang over my hips thus hiding the pistol underneath VERY well. Just my 2 cents.

timdsmith72

Post by timdsmith72 »

With the right equipment, I don't think you'll have as much trouble as you might think. I'm 5'9" and about 150 pounds..maybe a little less. I carry a Sig P226 IWB in an MTAC holster at right about 3 o'clock. Usually in no more than a T-Shirt. Nobody has ever noticed. I even went somewhere with one of my friends the other day who also has his CHL and knows I carry. Even he couldn't tell after specifically looking for "it". He thought I had left it at home for some reason.
Here's an example of how I'm usually dressed. It's taken in the mirror so it looks like I'm carrying on left, but it's actually right.

tamc9395

Post by tamc9395 »

I just picked up a P3AT with a pocket holster today and carried it to lunch. There were no prints, just looked like I had a wallet in my front pocket.

The gun store was packed and it was pretty slick to be able to purchase with your CHL and not wait on the background check.

Blinking Dog

Post by Blinking Dog »

This reply may be too late to help you, but if not here goes. I'd suggest that the width of the gun and length of the grip have a much bigger impact on concealability than barrel length. I'm 5' 10" and 140# and when I started carrying I had a Beretta 96 Compact. It had about a 3 1/2" barrel but the double stack was too wide for me. I switched to a bigger gun, a 5" 1911 and it literally melted into my side. I've taken people shooting and when I've raised my shirt to pull out my gun they've been astonished I had that "big 'ole gun tucked away in there." I recently bought a Glock 19, smaller gun than the 1911 but it is wider and for me harder to conceal.

The point is, what at first may seem counter-intuitive on gun size may actually work best for you.

And ditto on stiff belts. I've been using Galco's version of the Wilderness belt and really like it. The Velcro beats the leather belt hole problem IMHO.

dklag37

Post by dklag37 »

I'm 5'9" and 155 lbs. as well. I carry a Walther PPS with a crossbreed supertuck at the 3'oclock position. Works great for me.
Dallas County

5/10/09 - CHL Class
5/12/09 - Applied Online
5/26/09 - Mailed Packet
6/26/09 - Processing Application
9/03/09 - Application Completed
9/11/09 - License Received

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

shortysboy09 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I just completed my CHL course as of last night and am excited to start figuring out how I will carry effectively. Although I have awhile before I receive my license, I want to have all the pieces in place when my license arrives. I was wondering what would be the best way for me to carry my handgun with me being 5'7'' and 155 pounds? I have looked into the IWB type carry, and I don't think that is going to work because of how slender I am. I'm looking for feedback on how/where some of the more slim members of the forum carry their firearms? BTW, I haven't decided on a gun yet, but I'm leaning towards something that is going to have a 3'' to 4'' barrel. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
It depends on what kinda clothes you wear, not what body type you are. Since you did not mention your mode of dress, then I'll recommend a mode of carry that is good with any type of clothing;

Smartcarry:
*Advantages; can carry full size service pistol, can wear any clothes, even shorts and tank tops.
*Disadvantages; can feel uncomfortable, can print like adult diapers

Pocket Holster:
*Advantages; really easy to draw gun fast.
*Disadvantages; can only carry small guns (.380 or smaller aka "mouse guns")

Neck Chain:
*Advantages; very concealable for small guns in an unexpected location that may be missed in a cursory search for guns by an amateur (non-LEO).
*Disadvantages; can only carry small, light guns (.380 or smaller aka "mouse guns")

If you always wear a jacket/suit, then you may use a hip belt holster. These are most comfortable and versatile. However, you can never take off your coat.

If you always carry a purse use a purse holster. Yes, both men and women carry purses nowadays, especially if the guy is from Europe.

IPv6

Post by IPv6 »

I have scanned through the post and did not see what gun you actually settled on. I too am pretty slim and don't dress in baggy clothes. I found that the gun made all the difference. I carried a Glock 27 for a year and there were many times I was concerned with its thickness. I recently bought a Kimber Ultra Carry II and I feel like I can hide that anywhere. It has a 3 inch barrel, but a slim single stack mag. I can use a variety of carry methods.

IWB -- I have an inexpensive holster now, but I will be ordering the Comp Tac MTAC shortly

OWB -- Bianchi Black Widow is a minimal holster that holds the gun close.

Belly Band -- It is not my ideal carry method, but I can tuck in a shirt or run to the store in a light jacket with the Kimber tucked in a belly band. The gun sits right under my left arm with cross-draw capabilities if needed.

Bag Carry -- I was able to score a bag that was not quite as feminine or as obvious as a fanny pack. 5.11 makes a bag that you can attach their Velcro holster in. This works for me when carrying to and from work where I cant actually take the gun inside. It even passed the "your wearing a man purse" harassment from guy coworkers. http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.asp ... 1-56037-XX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Class 11/08/08
Mailed 11/10/08
PIN Received 12/08/2008
Application Completed 1/9/2008
Plastic Arrived -- 1/14/2008
Kimber Ultra Carry II

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

I'm fairly thin 6'00" and 170lbs-179lbs, depending on holiday foods.

Holsters:
I use Kholster IWB holsters for Glock 26/27 and Keltec P11 (and have more on order for Walther PPS, PF9, and Taurus slim PT-709)

I use Wilderness SafePacker on the belt (or seatbelt when travelling) for Taurus PT-92 with Lasermax internal guide rod laser

I use Bianchi Suede Model 6 IWB holsters for Diamondback DB380 and AMT Backup 380 and NAA Guardian .380 with Crimson Trace grip

I use pocket holsters I made or an IWB nylon holster for 2 Seecamp .32s (Pocket holsters if I'm wearing a blue jean jacket with inside pockets)

I use a nylon IWB, I think by Uncle Mike for a Glock 18 wirg Crimson Trace Trigger Guard Laser

That's usually all I carry at one time, otherwise they get too heavy. "rlol"

Clothing:

Church wear: anything really, use tuckable Kholster holster and Safepacker, it looks sort of like a spare Bible cover. (If anyone tries to hug you, hug with your non-gun side toards them, and make your arms "go low" go under theirs, so they hug your shoulders instead of your waist)

Daily wear:
XXXL Tee-Shirts (Fruit of the loom, usually dark color like black, so no black grip colors show through noticably)
usually covered by a Guyabarra shirt or( Printed patterned Hawaiian or Western plaid type ) in Summer, or in Winter a flannel shirt (topped off with blue jean jacket on really cold days)
Rustler/Wrangler jeans with a "skosh more room" in Winter,
Cargo Shorts/Cargo pants from Walmart in Summer (I think Faded Glory brand with a TIE-able drawstring type fabric inside, as well as belt loops)

Your style and color choices may vary, but this does work. When I'm going to be around people my age (over 50) I wear Guyabarra Shirts or Hawaiian but .... around younger people ... the western or flannel.

(With the two-shirt layered look, which is in style now, like on "My Name is Earl" any small "bump under your top shirt" may be assumed to be a wrinkle in the Tee-shirt.)
ImageImageImage

I Personally COMBINE the two-shirt layered look XXXL Tee Shirt with a Guyaberra shirt ...., but if you want only 1 shirt and button it up, see below

Guyaberra shirt, big and tall
Concealed Carry Clothing
Guns Magazine, by Massad Ayoob

"My fellow geezers and 1 can't say today's young people haven't done anything for us. They have made it fashionable to wear loose clothing. "Relaxed fit" pants and Docker's trousers might as well have been made for concealing compact handguns. in pocket holsters and ankle holsters.
....In the South, particularly Florida, the Cuban-style guyaberra shirt is "in" for casual wear ... Old Cuba was an armed society; this shirt remains uniquely suitable for members of an armed society today."
If not windy, leave bottom button unbuttoned ... not only is that the style (evidenced by this fasion model), but allows quicker access ...
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

majkowskid

Post by majkowskid »

i like the inside the wasteband holsters for my full size guns... small of back for my bersa thunder 380
If anyone needs a deal on a gun safe, shoot me a pm or e mail! I have a "connection" :)

Return to “New to CHL?”