The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
GatoNegro
Posts in topic: 2

Sitting in a restaurant.......

Post by GatoNegro »

Hypothetical question:

Lets say you was sitting in a restaurant, no 30.06 signs, enjoying your meal, when suddenly a BG storms in gun in hand, and holds up the cashier stealing the money from the register.

Would you:

1. Pull your gun out and take action?

2. Stay calm and let the guy go?

3. Would you even get involved?

I am really interested in seeing some answers.
Thanks
GatoNegro
GatoNegro
MSG, US Army, retired
Patriot Guard Riders
American Legion Riders
Proud CHL holder
PT 111 Mil Pro

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Sitting in a restaurant.......

Post by Mike1951 »

The correct answer was not one of your choices. You do not interfere and do everything possible to be a good witness.

Only if things turn deadly, should you consider acting.

BTW, you never can be sure there's only one BG. The other guy might have entered first and be standing behind you.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

A-R
Posts in topic: 1

Post by A-R »

Mike1951 wrote: BTW, you never can be sure there's only one BG. The other guy might have entered first and be standing behind you.
Great point. :iagree:

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

:iagree: I think I would sit tight, hand on gun (JIC) and take in as much of the situation as I can. Even if my phone had a camera I don't think I would try to film them and give them a reason to confront me by using it.

Now if they ask the customers to join them in the back room, or start shooting then I will give them a close look at the business end of a 45.
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

ELB

Post by ELB »

Mike1951 wrote:...
Only if things turn deadly, should you consider acting.
The situation is, in fact, deadly...
GatoNegro wrote:Hypothetical question:

... when suddenly a BG storms in gun in hand,
GatoNegro
The BG has already indicated that the life of the cashier and pretty much anyone else in his way is worth less than what's in the cash drawer. He may be bluffing, but you make decisions on behavior, probability, and guesses, not intentions. How much more deadly can the situation get? Well he could shoot the cashier, I guess.

Being a good witness is a practical alternative. If it is not within your skills, motivation, or calculation of risk, or within the realm of physical possibility, to intervene, then so be it. But being a "good witness" is not "the correct answer." It is merely one answer.
USAF 1982-2005

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

At the very least my handgun would be drawn and out beneath the table.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

dicion

Post by dicion »

I agree with ELB and Purplehood. I'd at least have drawn and below the table.
If the BG does something to give me a clear shot without endangering anyone else, and I'm sure that I can make it, I would take it.

This is with ONE BG, mind you. Multiple BG's change the situation dramatically.
Chances are, if they're just robbing a restaurant for cash, this is not an overly 'Planned' robbery. They're not going to have 'sleepers' in the restaurant...

If this is a kidnapping, or hostage situation, then they might. You have to determine what it appears to be first.

How would you feel if they shot and killed the Cashier, and you did nothing, even though you may have had a few openings where he pointed the gun towards the floor and looked away from you?

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

It depends.
Byron Dickens

Bonc_CHL

Post by Bonc_CHL »

There are too many variables to list, I think this is the kind of thing that just needs to happen and see what options are warranted and justifiable, just like most situations when you are carrying.
Springfield XD40 Sub-compact
S&W Model 37

particle

Post by particle »

Check your surroundings, wait for an opportune moment, draw your weapon and obtain a clear line of fire, then shoot if you feel you must. Don't give him the opportunity to kill anyone - he's already proven he's willing to do so simply by being armed. He may not have killed anyone THIS time, but from what I've heard, these guys tend to escalate the severity of their crimes with each attempt.

What if he grabs the cash, turns around and starts randomly firing at the customers? No thanks - don't give him the chance.

Lots of "what if" scenarios - but this guy's first mistake was deciding to rob the place with a weapon.

Now, if you're sitting in your car and you witness the guy walk in with a gun drawn and a hood on, do you enter the restaurant to take him down? Probably best to call 911, then run him over as he flees the premises. (joking! sorta...) That is, unless your wife and/or kids are inside, then heck yeah, I'm going in :fire
http://www.adamsleatherworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dewayneward

Post by dewayneward »

I could be wrong here, but I think I am reading a lot of behind the keyboard safe answers. If a bad guy comes in with a gun (or other weapon) and is in my proximity, I feel that my life (and especially my family's life) is in danger and will stop the threat. Case closed.

Granted, every situation is different, multiple robbers, etc., but think about it for a second, there is a bad guy committing robbery with A GUN (or knife or whatever). He isnt asking for change or the time of day, he is robbing someone. If he is 30 ft away from me, I am getting my family out of there. If he is 10 ft away from me, he is dead because I am not going to "wait and see what his intentions are" when my family is around.

I am thinking back to the situation with the kid at the Burger King (I think it was in Florida) where the good guy got shot with a bryco.380 or something a few times, but shot the bad guy in the chest with a .45 and he dropped dead (please dont turn this into a caliber argument, this is just what I remember about the incident). I thought about that incident a bit. I certainly wouldnt have tried to reason with him, I would have shot him. I am not acting tough, I am thinking about my wife and kids around this scum. I am not going to take a chance and see if this guy leaves or something.

That all being said, I have NEVER been involved in a robbery, I have NEVER had to shoot someone, so hopefully I never have to put my money where my mouth is on this issue.

Flame on!!!
Col 2:8 See to it that no man takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men,according to the elementary principles of the world,rather than according to Christ.
austin received app 12/10
Processing app 12/22/08
App comp 1/26/09
Plastic in hand 1/30/09

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

While it is thought provoking and semi-educational to run scenarios like this through others on a forum, the answers are not ever going to be valid. Written scenarios are 2-dimensional, and in real life they will be 3-D. There will be items in your way, innocent bystanders close to the target, people running and screaming, ad infinitum. The best way to run scenarios is to do it real-time when you are in a location, especially places you regularly go. Look at how the surroundings change from visit to visit. Who is there, where are people sitting in comparison to where the robber would be. Who is coming in the door unaware that there is a robber right past it, etc. etc. As others have said, the variables are way too many even in real life to try and apply anything in a 1 - 2 paragraph written scenario, so what someone THINKS they might do in that situation is probably 95% not what would really happen.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

Hey! That's what I said. :biggrinjester:
Byron Dickens

Keith

Post by Keith »

As its been said every situation is different. One thing I would add is if he gets to your table he is already to close so you need to get the situation back in your favor. Dont look like a bad foot like you are challenging him. You want him to feel like he has control. Heck act I meen just that act start stuttering or like you have teretts (cant spell) and then when there not expecting it because they think you have a mental issue drop them. Better to do this then have a I want to fight look on your face.. Now of course this is different then walking down a street at night by yourself then yes look like you can take care of yourself because no one has gotten the drop on you yet. Different approaches for diff situations :txflag:
When the bullet leaves
You can't bring it back

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I'll tell you exactly what I'd do ....
I'd see if the snake was coiled and had an "S" shaped neck, like it was about to strike or not. I'd look around, and also look at him very closely for my clue what to do next. I wouldn't have my weapon seen by anyone unless and until I was ready to use it .... never show your hole card. Some kid in the restaurant whose parent had him get under the table who starts pointing at a gun I had drawn under my table might get us all killed. Also, drawing my weapon escalates the situation in my own mind, and over a time causes a bit more and more hand shake, I'll save drawing my weapon until it's needed.
But read this post and the post I made below it, and you'll understand what I just said
http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... 21#p340963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and
http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... 21#p341021" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “New to CHL?”