Living on a Military Base

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Coffeyc
Posts in topic: 4

Living on a Military Base

Post by Coffeyc »

How do other people handle this? To drive on and off base with a gun you have to have it completely unloaded and in the trunk with the ammo in the glove box.

How do I then get it to the small of my back with out other people seeing? I am going to have to stop in a parking lot to bring the gun to the passenger compartment and then load it and conceal it while sitting in my vehicle. PITA :grumble

And yes this is the last time I will ever live in base houseing.
Beretta 96 C .40 S&W
Smith & Wesson 915 9MM
Yes I like my WW2 technology, they go bang every time.

NAVY CHIEF
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Living on a Military Base

Post by NAVY CHIEF »

Coffeyc wrote: How do I then get it to the small of my back with out other people seeing? I am going to have to stop in a parking lot to bring the gun to the passenger compartment and then load it and conceal it while sitting in my vehicle. PITA :grumble

And yes this is the last time I will ever live in base houseing.
As far as returning it to your concealed position, you might consider placing firearm in inconspicuous bag, going into a restroom (with mag in pocket, after you have retrieved it from glovebox) and then conceal carry from that point, ensuring that the place is not "posted"- thereby preventing being "seen".

Hope this helps.

BTW, you might want to look at Housing Regulations concerning firearms on Base Housing. Last time I lived in housing, you were supposed to drive straight to the base armory and turn them in, until you "needed" them again. (I never did!) :evil2: Not advocating breaking the rules, you just need to know the rules, so you can be on the alert for "snoopy neighbors."

Hooyah!
CHL class: 8/29/09
Plastic Received:22OCT09

Topic author
Coffeyc

Post by Coffeyc »

Yeah they changed the rules for keeping Privately owned firearms on base. You have to drive straight from house to gate and vise versa. but you can keep them at the casa as long as you have registered them at the armory and you keep them Unloaded (<--- yea right) and locked up always. Mine do stay locked up most of the time. but they are always loaded.

As for the gate, I found an easy way to take care of that problem. Sorry I cannot share, it involves exercising my 2nd amendment right against the wishes of big bother.
Beretta 96 C .40 S&W
Smith & Wesson 915 9MM

NAVY CHIEF
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NAVY CHIEF »

Coffeyc wrote:.... Sorry I cannot share, it involves exercising my 2nd amendment right against the wishes of big bother.
Not only Big bother (which they are!) but big brother!

Hooyah!
CHL class: 8/29/09
Plastic Received:22OCT09

Topic author
Coffeyc

Post by Coffeyc »

good catch. I am a maintenance troop, not so smart and not ggod with computers. give me a 9 million dollar radar, and i have you covered.
Beretta 96 C .40 S&W
Smith & Wesson 915 9MM

lonewolf
Posts in topic: 1

Post by lonewolf »

You're doing fine, amigo! Here is the mathematics: (big brother=big bother)

Keep up the good work, and be safe out there!

LaserTex

Post by LaserTex »

SatCom troop here - spent my 20 years, 24 days assigned to various Combat Comm units, most assigned with the TPC-43 with Missile Tracker system. I have drove so many of ya'll elephant stakes I have nightmares!

Hang in there. That check on the 1st of the month pays my house payment.

And THANK YOU for your service!!!

Doug :txflag:
LaserTex
Air Force Retired ** Life Member VFW ** NRA Member **
** Life Member AmVets ** Patriot Guard Rider **

johnj5036

Post by johnj5036 »

I lived in base housing growing up (my father is retired AF) and I must say, my memories of living on base were much safer than out in the "real world" to where it's hard for me think about concealed carry as the absolute necessity it is "out here". But hey, I was just a little kid and WAY before 9/11.
---------------------------------
<insert random, pithy comment here>

Glock 19 - Personal favorite
Beretta 92FS - First gun ever to own.
Bersa Thunder .380 - If I had bullets I'd have broken it in by now... might should have gotten a Sig instead.

lalumpala

Post by lalumpala »

I've just joined the Army and head off to BCT in January. My wife and I will not be living on base once I get my first station. I'm not sure how this works, but let's say I check my gun in at the armory. When I leave base, I go check it out, right? Unable to technically concealed carry until off base, right? I've been told that it is illegal to carry in uniform unless your on duty job requires it. Would you normally change into civilian clothes before leaving base so as not to violate this? Sorry, I'm new to all this and still getting my bearings. Thanks.
-Micah

Glock 19

Topic author
Coffeyc

Post by Coffeyc »

lalumpala wrote:I've just joined the Army and head off to BCT in January. My wife and I will not be living on base once I get my first station. I'm not sure how this works, but let's say I check my gun in at the armory. When I leave base, I go check it out, right? Unable to technically concealed carry until off base, right? I've been told that it is illegal to carry in uniform unless your on duty job requires it. Would you normally change into civilian clothes before leaving base so as not to violate this? Sorry, I'm new to all this and still getting my bearings. Thanks.
Welcome to the military. First off, if you are not living on base, you cannot bring any dangerous weapons to include firearms on base. Keep the firearm at your house and conceal carry each and every time you leave your house except if you are going to base or if you are in uniform. As long as you live off base (or post as you will come to call it) you do not even need to let anybody know you have a CHL or a firearm.
Beretta 96 C .40 S&W
Smith & Wesson 915 9MM

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

lalumpala wrote:I've just joined the Army and head off to BCT in January. My wife and I will not be living on base once I get my first station. I'm not sure how this works, but let's say I check my gun in at the armory. When I leave base, I go check it out, right? Unable to technically concealed carry until off base, right? I've been told that it is illegal to carry in uniform unless your on duty job requires it. Would you normally change into civilian clothes before leaving base so as not to violate this? Sorry, I'm new to all this and still getting my bearings. Thanks.
Forget about putting it in the armory if you ever want to see it again. Keep it off post.
Byron Dickens

LostInAustin

Post by LostInAustin »

lonewolf wrote:You're doing fine, amigo! Here is the mathematics: (big brother=big bother)

Keep up the good work, and be safe out there!
I like that. :thumbs2:

Thx coffeyc ;-)
Colt Combat Commander
Colt Govt Model Series 70
Beretta 92FS

Return to “New to CHL?”