The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Sargergp
Posts in topic: 1

New member looking for advice

Post by Sargergp »

Hello Texas,
I'm not new to guns, just concealed carry. I'm a retired veteran with plenty of shooting experience. I've wanted to get my CHL since it's beginning but just wouldn't fork out the bucks for all the necessary bits and pieces. Well, I am the proud owner now of a Springfield XD40 4" and just completed my CHL class and mailed the packet. What I'm looking for is opinions on the advantages/disadvantages of the XD and recommended carries. If it matters I'm a lefty, but I can draw and shoot effectively with either hand. I had the good fortune of taking the class from a guy who had quite a selection of holsters to experiment with and from that I ordered the UBGholsters.com IWB. I think this one will work well for me but I'm hungry for input. :txflag:

longtooth

Re: New member looking for advice

Post by longtooth »

XD40 is a good choice. I do not own one but son does & son in law do. I have shot them & like them.
all UBG holsters get good reviews so good choice there too.
A few lefties will be on shortly to give their opinion.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

The XD is a good choice. My daily work carry is an XD 45. My daughter and wife both have XD9SC that they carry.
It's no 1911(my other carry weapons) but still an excellent choice.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

fm2

Post by fm2 »

A good quality strong side hip holster is a great choice. I think building a solid drawstroke from the SSH is the way to go. If you need to utilize some other carry methods, you can adapt the stroke you've established.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

kd5zex

Post by kd5zex »

My secondary carry is the 4" XD .40, its a great pistol I just like my Kimber more. I carried it daily for about 6 months. Anyway, I use Comp-Tac MTAC holsters and have been quite happy with them. It is possible to tuck in your shirt while wearing it and I use the "C-Clips" for greater concealment. IMO and FWIW, strong side IWB is the way to go.
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

DEADEYE1964

Post by DEADEYE1964 »

Great gun, I own and carry a xd .45. Go to crossbreedholsters.com and look at the Supertuck. It is the most comfortable IWB holster I have ever owned. Mark, the owner has superb customer service. You can read all about these at a great forum XDTALK.COM, they have a sticky just for the holsters. These holsters are made specific for each gun and fits like a glove.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein

Return to “New to CHL?”