Weapon recommendations in my price range

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Guardian
Posts in topic: 9

Weapon recommendations in my price range

Post by Guardian »

Ok, I was looking at the SA XD45 compact as my first weapon but think that may be a little to pricey for the wife's liking for first weapon.
What would you guys recommend in either a 9mm or .40 S&W below $400? I like all of the safety features the XD has and also the capacity.
Do you think I could find one maybe at a pawn shop for $400 or less? If not, bring on your input.

Thanks,
Kevin
XD Compact .45

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Weapon recommendations in my price range

Post by flintknapper »

Guardian wrote:Ok, I was looking at the SA XD45 compact as my first weapon but think that may be a little to pricey for the wife's liking for first weapon.
What would you guys recommend in either a 9mm or .40 S&W below $400? I like all of the safety features the XD has and also the capacity.
Do you think I could find one maybe at a pawn shop for $400 or less? If not, bring on your input.

Thanks,
Kevin
Good morning Kevin,

The XD would be an excellent choice.

With firearms, "price" does not always reflect quality/reliability,
still... the old saying "you get what you pay for" generally holds true.

The weapon you choose to carry for your personal protection (and hers) needs to be of good quality and be absolutely reliable.

If necessary, save your money for awhile and get a firearm you have confidence in. A $400.00 budget will let you look at some nice used weapons if you are patient. For "new" pistols you'll probably want to add another $100.00 in order to have much selection.

Try to remember that the purchase of your weapon is a one time cost.

A good quality firearm (and holster) will serve you well, anything less may fail you when you can least afford it. If a cheap pistol/holster costs you your life, or the life of a loved one....then a few dollars saved won't seem like the bargain you wanted.

Save up and get that XD, is my advice.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

longtooth
Posts in topic: 5

Post by longtooth »

A used one at a gun shop would a good possibility for your $400.00

The XD is an excellent choice for carry. It is reliable, accurate, has plenty of carry gear made for it & you like the safety features on it.
I always encourage new to carry folks & young couples establishing a household to buy the best gun they can possibly afford. If you need it you will want it to be completely reliable. How much is your safety worth? If you do not need it & 15 yrs from now want to upgrade it, the trade value or sale value will probably still be real close to what you pd for it and often more.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Lumberjack98
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Save up a little longer and get the XD. Also, make sure that you shop around for the best price.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
Guardian
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Guardian »

When I looked at Academy yesterday in Lubbock, they had the 4 in. XD 45 for $560.
XD Compact .45

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

flintknapper wrote:
Guardian wrote:Ok, I was looking at the SA XD45 compact as my first weapon but think that may be a little to pricey for the wife's liking for first weapon.

Thanks,
Kevin
Good morning Kevin,

The XD would be an excellent choice.

With firearms, "price" does not always reflect quality/reliability,
still... the old saying "you get what you pay for" generally holds true.

The weapon you choose to carry for your personal protection (and hers) needs to be of good quality and be absolutely reliable.

If necessary, save your money for awhile and get a firearm you have confidence in. A $400.00 budget will let you look at some nice used weapons if you are patient. For "new" pistols you'll probably want to add another $100.00 in order to have much selection.

Try to remember that the purchase of your weapon is a one time cost.

A good quality firearm (and holster) will serve you well, anything less may fail you when you can least afford it. If a cheap pistol/holster costs you your life, or the life of a loved one....then a few dollars saved won't seem like the bargain you wanted.

Save up and get that XD, is my advice.
Flint has said it all. I agree with every word.

I have seen used XD's running abo $450.00 and that is what I sold one of mine for. Check the gun shows also. They will almost always have used weapons for sale.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Everyone on this board knows I am NO FAN OF Gaa, gaallaa, galocks. (there I got it out) :leaving Whether I like them or not, they are reliable, quality, & popular. They also have all the quality gear available that you can ever look at.

If you like them there is a pretty good deal on this board.
WTS FTF in Houston - LNIB G32 and 6 hi-cap mags - $450
in Firearms

If you wanted to you could sell the extra mags & get real close to what you want to have in the gun.

I do not personally know the seller or this gun.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Texasdoc

Post by Texasdoc »

LT you said the G-word I can not believe you said it , its getting easier everyday now LT just say glocks are good glocks are good. :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:

you friend Doc
Shoot more,then Reload and Shoot somemore. Image

http://www.texasguntalk.com

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I cant :grumble :nono: :banghead: My tongue wont do it. Now back on topic & lets dont hijack his thread. One of you guys start another 1911 vs G thread & we will have a lot of fun. "rlol" :smilelol5:

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

Texasdoc wrote:LT you said the G-word I can not believe you said it , its getting easier everyday now LT just say glocks are good glocks are good. :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:
you friend Doc

It occurs to me that the Acronym for Glocks Are Good is: "GAG" :mrgreen:

They are...of course (good). Just couldn't resist the jab. :thumbs2:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Good job friend.
Now back on topic before the Mod gets in trouble w/ the Mods for starting this hijack. :nopity

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Of course, a quality S&W revolver can be had for $400. When your finances improve you can give it to the wife when you get your XD or 1911 or ???? A S&W will hold it's value too.
NRA Endowment Member

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Guardian wrote:Do you think I could find one maybe at a pawn shop for $400 or less? If not, bring on your input.
You can find a good used gun in that range. You may find a better deal FTF than at a pawn shop.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

frreed

Post by frreed »

Look at the Bersa Mini Thunder. It comes in 9, 40 and 45. Under $400 and a high quality firearm that is easily concealed.

I have a Bersa .380 and love it. In time I will pick up a 9 or 45 in Bersa as well.

nedmoore

Post by nedmoore »

I bought a XD subcompact .40 at tomball pawn for $439.00

Return to “New to CHL?”