Both
29%

Total votes: 183

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 6

Revolver Vs. Semi Auto And Why?

Post by carlson1 »

I have always been curious and I hope this is not improper or has already been asked and I missed it. I would like to know if you prefer to carry a Revolver or Semi Auto and why? I believe it would be interesting to see the results.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gigag04 »

I voted SA because thats all I own. I would love to get a little 5 shot S&W .38 for those hot days when I want to carry but dont want to deal with the 3" XD weighing down my cotton shorts.

I wanna get a smartcarry as well.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Texasdoc

Post by Texasdoc »

I have always carried a auto, when I was a LEO and now I still carry a 1911 style .

the big plus for me is its easier to hide and has a bit more power then a 38 /357 IMHO

300shooter
Shoot more,then Reload and Shoot somemore. Image

http://www.texasguntalk.com

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 6

Post by carlson1 »

I find I can conceal the 1911 better. Those of you who agree, do you think it is because on a whole it is thinner? I love the feeling of the 340PD in the pocket and Colt Commander on the Belt. To me that is Security.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

357mag snub on the ankle and either a 1911 or Sig on the belt.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I carry a 1911, either a Commander or a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special 5" barrel because they are thinner than revolvers and virtually all other autos. I also like 45 ACP.

I seldom carry a BUG, because of the difficulty of carrying one along with my 1911, 1 to 2 extra mags and a cell phone on the belt. I'm seriously considering an Alessi ankle holster for a 2" S&W, PPK, Glock 27, or Kimber Ultra Carry. I like the idea of another 1911 as a BUG so I can use the same extra mags, but a light 2" 38/357 sure would be easier on the ankle.

Regards,
Chas.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

While I do not currently have a round gun to compare, like others here, I think the slab sided 1911 is easier to conceal.

That said, when I do get a round gun, you can bet it will be a carry gun.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

quidni

Post by quidni »

I voted 'Both' - it depends on where I'm going, what I'm wearing, & whether I'm taking a purse or not.
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Primary carry is either G21 or 1911 commander. Bug is PM40 or P3AT. I also carry a SW40VE in my briefcase at work.

Semi's are carried because of extra capacity. Least is 8 shots with 2 extra mags for 24 total. This verses 6 x 3 for 18.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

I hit both - but if I had to pick one right now it would be the revolver. It works in more situations than my current pistols and is the one I can have on me at all times, no matter what.

Although I prefer to carry one of my pistols when dress will allow it (i.e. not to work) as the 10+1 of .45ACP or 15+1 of 9mm (plus spare mag) just gives me a better warm fuzzy feeling than the 5 (plus speed strip) of .38Spc do.

I think I need a good pistol + IWB rig for a CCW gun.

sensei

Post by sensei »

Recently traded my .357 for a Glock 26 (9mm) so wife and daughter would have something to shoot. They didn't care for the revolver.

I had been carrying a G-30 (.45acp).

When we got the G-26 I realized how bulky the G-30 really is. So , now I'm in the market for a 1911.

Revolvers are fun. I know people carried them for years. But, I think of them more as a range gun.

Ray

OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

OverEasy checking in.

I voted both.

I'll carry anything I own that goes bang, depending on the situation.
98% of the time it is one or two S/A's. I prefer two guns, instead of one + a spare mag.

If I'm going to the range to shoot my normal S/A carry guns, I carry a .38 snub. That way I don't have to unload to enter the range.

I carry a SS .38 snub around "The ranch" with snake shot (3) and +P HP (2). It's quick and easy to open the cylinder and rotate to the proper load depending on the threat. In an emergency a "BIG" threat will get the 3 rounds of snake shot first and then the 2 HPs.

To minimize confusion I don't carry anything with a safety on it. Everything I carry is " draw, pull trigger". That way I don't worry about ME messing up in an emergency.

Wait, I'm not saying anything bad about "cocked & locked" carry!!
If I had started that way instead of with revolvers I would only carry "cocked & locked" guns.

I feel comfortable switching guns but I wouldn't feel comfortable switching back and forth on the "Drill". That's just my personal thing. No disrespect ment toward anybody else.

OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

BobCat

Post by BobCat »

I voted autoloader since I carry a CZ75B.

My first carry gun was a 3" S&W Model 13, but after I proved to myself that revolvers were not as absolutely reliable as the common wisdom proclaims, I decided that 15 rounds of 124 g HydraShocks at 1150 fps was at least as good as 6 rounds of 125 g Golden Sabers at roughly the same velocity; the 3" barrel does indeed negatively impact muzzle velocity of the .357 mag.

The CZ conceals at least as well - it is "bigger" but flatter. It is heavier but I don't notice the weight. And, it has been very reliable and accurate.

I still love the little Smith, and take it to the range, and would carry it if I broke the CZ.

Regards.
Andrew
Retractable claws; the *original* concealed carry

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I preffer a SA... As I consider it a more potent gun. High capacity, easy to reload in a hurry, can carry extra ammo easily, and it has a single action trigger.

That said, revolvers are not bad. I carry my wheelgun too. I think it's a lot easier to carry a snubbie than my USP45 fullsize... but I feel a lot better with the USP45 fullsize... and even better with a backup handgun and AR15...
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Dr Dave

Post by Dr Dave »

Regular carry when clothing allows is a Glock 27 IWB with 1 spare mag on belt, cell phone on belt, and a bug. BUG or primary carry in business cloths without a coat is Keltec .32 in pocket ( and a cell phone and a knife). I figure I can at least always have something. I just don't trust the 380 keltecs yet. I don't have anything against a J frame light weight 38 or 357 as a bug or primary when needed, but the only one of those we have belongs to the wife.
Dr Dave

Return to “New to CHL?”