Is IDPA what I want to do?

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
skankpile
Posts in topic: 1

Is IDPA what I want to do?

Post by skankpile »

I’m a newbie, but getting tired of shooting at the same old paper targets. I want to gain speed, and engage multiple targets as well as learn strategy for engaging multiple targets.

Is this learned through IDPA.. I mean is it more of a competition or are there classes, drills, and situations that can be applied to real world situations?

I live in Sugarland and there is not much near me, but I could go to ASC, Topgun, or if there is somewhere else within 30min....

Lodge2004

Re: Is IDPA what I want to do?

Post by Lodge2004 »

Don't know about IDPA (it's on my list of things to do), but if you are near Top Gun, you could try some classes and follow-up with their shooting groups. Hoffner's and Comp-Tac both conduct practice sessions each week at Top Gun.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

The people who run IDPA make clear that it is a game, not training. However, it is a lot of fun; and if you happen to develop some skills along the way, well ...

Sugarland is not that far from PSC on a Saturday morning.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

IDPA is a game, but, it's a whole lot of fun. It's not intended to be looked upon as training. However, you will become very aware of your equipment. You'll shoot on the move, engage multiple targets, perform a few different types of reloads etc. You will also become a safer shooter because muzzle and finger awareness will be drilled into you.

There's a great group of folks that put on an IDPA match several times a month in Conroe. I highly recommend you go check it out.

http://www.tts-idpa.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

CJATE

Post by CJATE »

HighVelocity wrote:you will become very aware of your equipment. You'll shoot on the move, engage multiple targets, perform a few different types of reloads etc. You will also become a safer shooter because muzzle and finger awareness will be drilled into you.

yep, a real reality check for me. I sure thought I could shoot and handle my gun, put me in that game and I fell apart. now I know what might happen real time.... again not training, but and eye opening experience for sure.

DEADEYE1964

Post by DEADEYE1964 »

Are there any of the classes in the DFW area ? That is what I have been looking for.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jbirds1210 »

I feel that I am a better shooter because of IDPA. Anything that puts you and your gun under pressure will be a good thing. IDPA will definitely help you achieve that.

http://www.pscidpa.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (friendswood)

http://www.tts-idpa.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Conroe)

Friendly and helpful folks at either location. Conroe offers a match every Wednesday night.....it is a great place to meet folks and learn about the sport.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jbirds1210 »

seamusTX wrote:The people who run IDPA make clear that it is a game, not training. However, it is a lot of fun; and if you happen to develop some skills along the way, well ...

Sugarland is not that far from PSC on a Saturday morning.

- Jim

The same can be said about the distance from Galveston on a Saturday morning :biggrinjester:

See you there next month?

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

solaritx

Post by solaritx »

You might want to check out West Houston IDPA. We shoot every wed night and first Sat of the month

Check out http://www.whidpa.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Garry Newton
Pres. WHIDPA

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Skankpile: You might want to glance at this Greater Houston Defensive/Practical Shooting Calendar. It isn't a definitive source, though; it started simply as a way for me to keep track of what was going on where in the Houston area. But almost all listed events include contact information so that, if you're interested, you can confirm.

(To all, if you visit the calendar and see any errors, or have an addition, just PM me. FYI, I've had the page blocked from "honest" search engines since putting it up last year, but recently opened it to indexing in hopes that it might add a little exposure for our Houston area events.)
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

DonP

Post by DonP »

DEADEYE1964 wrote:Are there any of the classes in the DFW area ? That is what I have been looking for.
Lots of good places for IDPA and classes in DFW area. A good website for the area is Collin County IDPA. Good info and a link on the left under General Interest for "CCIDPA Friends" which gives several other websites for IDPA and other shooting activities in the area.

Don P

Plato

Post by Plato »

I think the best approach is to take some formal classes that give you the basics of gun handling from the holster. You'll learn things like speed reloading, reloads with retention, clearance drills, and have safe techniques drilled into your head. Trigger finger STRAIGHT will echo through you soul after proper training.

Then with the basics in hand you step into an IDPA match and use that for regular practice. IDPA matches will keep those gun handling skills in your muscle memory and the always different stages will show you your weaknesses to work on. I know everyone points out IDPA is not "training", but its about the best the average Joe can hope to do. It moves you beyond just plinking at that bullseye target at the public range and is a natural way to practice particularly for folks who actually carry with a CHL.

Return to “Competitive Shooting”