May Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
BigBlueDodge
Posts in topic: 16

Re: May Applications

Post by BigBlueDodge »

rking1581 wrote:
"Okay, let's bring this one to the top. Has any May applicants been told by DPS that their application has actually started processing yet (meaning DPS has opened your packet and entered your information into the system, and or at least sent it off to the FBI and local authorities). I'm still trying to see if we May guys are still in the pile in the mailroom, or if DPS has already started openin our applications and started entering in our information yet."
I called DPS yesterday (7/21) and was told that my FBI background check was back and was just waiting on TX's background check to come back. I was told that I am halfway done after 63 days.

Interesting. You are one day ahead of me (my packet was recieved on 5/20). That might be enough information to get me to call them and check status as I just hit the 62 day mark myself.

uurys
Posts in topic: 1

Post by uurys »

Post Removed by Poster
Last edited by uurys on Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
BigBlueDodge

Post by BigBlueDodge »

So rking581's post inspired me to call in and check status at DPS. I talked with Mathew and he said my checks loooked good. I asked him if that means both FBI and County checks were received and he said yes. He looked and said that my license had been imaged on July 19th, but they are still "processing" the application. He said give them two 2 weeks.

Initially I was thinking he was feednig me a load of crap, and then I see uurys post that his license is already done so maybe he was telling the truth.

dp
Last edited by BigBlueDodge on Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
BigBlueDodge

Post by BigBlueDodge »

Okay, so I called back, to try and talk to someone else, and see if they fed me the same story. This time I talked with Steve. Steve told me that everything looks good so far, but they were still waiting on some of the other checks (taxes, student loads, child support, etc). He wouldn't give me an ETA on when he thought I would get my info.

So there you go, two different stories in less than 10 minutes time from DPS. Mathew indicated that they are pretty much done, with all of the checks but just hadn't got to me yet. Steve indicated that they are still working on my application and that it is still a ways off. Not sure which one to believe at this point.

Topic author
BigBlueDodge

Post by BigBlueDodge »

uurys wrote:Here's my timeline:

5/10/2008 Attended CHL Class
5/12/2008 Mailed Packet to DPS
5/14/2008 Packet Received by DPS
6/14/2008 PIN Issued - Processing Application
7/23/2008 Application Completed - License Issued or Certificate Active :cheers2:

Now I'm just waiting for my plastic.

NICE!
by my calculations that is right at 70 days. Did you do anything special, notify your state rep, whatever, that might have helped you? When I talked with Mathew he said they were still working on applicants from mid-April.

Anyway, congratulations on your plastic. I'm a week off from your timeline so I hoping that my timeline is close to yours.

Bones444
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Bones444 »

Looks like they just entered my info in the system. Talked to a lady at DPS and was wold that its in the beginning process and will take 45 - 90 days. I havent gotten my PIN yet but i just sent a request email. I hope to hear a response soon.
Carrying since '08...

Rub N Smoke
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rub N Smoke »

BigBlueDodge wrote:So rking581's post inspired me to call in and check status at DPS. I talked with Mathew and he said my checks loooked good. I asked him if that means both FBI and County checks were received and he said yes. He looked and said that my license had been imaged on July 19th, but they are still "processing" the application. He said give them two 2 weeks.

Initially I was thinking he was feednig me a load of crap, and then I see uurys post that his license is already done so maybe he was telling the truth.

dp
Next time you call, try talking to "Heather" shes a Supervisor. Good Luck with your application, looks like they may be getting caught up by the looks of "uurys" time line and issuance... :anamatedbanana
06 April 08: Class completed.
07 April 08: Paperwork sent.
11 April 08: Packet opened/ check cashed by DPS.
( 107 days License in hand!!)

Bones444

Post by Bones444 »

Well, i got my reply with PIN. "Processing Application"
Carrying since '08...

clark_griswold
Posts in topic: 2

Post by clark_griswold »

Hi all, I've been a "stalker" here for quite some time and decided to finally register and start posting. This is a great forum and I've learned alot from everyone.

Now here's my story....I'd love to hear from others that might be experiencing the same thing with their application. I submitted my original application (and paid the fees) online early May. I took my CHL class from "El Gato" in Texas City (great instructor by the way) shortly after, and mailed my paperwork to Austin mid-May. According to my return receipt, they received it May 21. After reading all the posts in this forum, I knew I was in for a long wait. Well today makes 62 days that DPS has had to process my application so I decided to go ahead and call to check the status. I talked to someone named Steve and he told me about the delays they've been experiencing because of all the applications. When he pulled my application up his only words were "hmmmmmm". I asked what hmmm meant and he said that it looked like my application was only partially submitted. Again I asked what that meant and he said that it wasn't fully submitted by them. I'm sure he could tell by the tone of my voice that I was a little concerned, because he back-tracked some and said that it's being processed, but not all information was put into their system yet. When I asked for an approximate timeframe of how much longer it may take he said he couldn't say. I asked him if it was fair to say another 60 days, his words were "60 days and most likely more than that".

I can understand some of the delays with the flood of apps they've received lately, but to be told that my app wasn't fully submitted by them yet after 62 days is discouraging. Anyone have a similar experience to this?

TexasComputerDude

Post by TexasComputerDude »

I wish I could just drop an extra 20 or so bucks, and get it processed right away.

is it against to law to say, "heres a fifty if my card is in my hand in a week" lol
Glock 30 - main ccw

flynbenny
Posts in topic: 8

Post by flynbenny »

Checked today, still processing...
:totap:
Glock 19 Gen4 EDC, Glock 42 (golf gun), AR15 14.5" Midlength (nightstand gun), Browning Buckmark (fun gun)

blacksheepmarty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by blacksheepmarty »

Yesterday I hit the 70 day mark since they received my paperwork in Austin, so I called to ask if there were any problems with my application. I was told that my application looked good, no problems, and that it was sent to imaging on 7-23. I should have asked more questions, but I didn't. I assume that imaging means that they are acutally making the card, and I would also assume that they would not do that unless everything else came back ok. Does anyone know if I am off base on my assumptions?

PolsVoice
Posts in topic: 6

Post by PolsVoice »

I'm still waiting as well...
5/21 took the CHL class.
5/23 mailed the packet in.
6/22 hadn't received packet or PIN, requested via email from DPS
7/08 changed addresses. Notified DPS, re-requested PIN
7/08 received PIN
7/25 still "Processing Application"
8/15 application approved... waiting on plastic.

TexasComputerDude

Post by TexasComputerDude »

well, I made a call to them and they said that everything had come back and checked out, my fbi stuff and fingerprints, and that it would just take a little while longer. I don't know how much of it was a lie, but I think I made a friend.
Glock 30 - main ccw

Topic author
BigBlueDodge

Post by BigBlueDodge »

blacksheepmarty wrote:Yesterday I hit the 70 day mark since they received my paperwork in Austin, so I called to ask if there were any problems with my application. I was told that my application looked good, no problems, and that it was sent to imaging on 7-23. I should have asked more questions, but I didn't. I assume that imaging means that they are acutally making the card, and I would also assume that they would not do that unless everything else came back ok. Does anyone know if I am off base on my assumptions?
Interesting. I got the same line.... license looked good, no problems, that it had already been sent to imaging, and to wait 2 more weeks. Do you happen to know who you talked to? They recieved my application on May 20th, and they said my license had gone to imaging on July 19th. Just after he said "July 19th", I heard someone else in the background on the phone say "July 19th" to whom I assume was someone else calling in. I don't know if what they are telling me is true, or if it is something they are making up to make people think their license is close to getting done.

To my knowledge, they go ahead and send your license to be imaged before all of the background checks get in so that they can have it ready to mail out asap if checks come back with nothing negative.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”