"Waiting Room"

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Twist
Posts in topic: 16

Re: "Waiting Room"

Post by Twist »

merrittj214 wrote:12/23/15: Application submitted
01/05/16: Fingerprints provided
01/16/16: Class completed
01/21/16: Supporting documents email confirmation from DPS

Silence since then. Today is 2/22/16. I guess I am on day 32. Maybe I need to be more patient. Do you hear any updates at all, or just wait and wait and one day it turns up in your mailbox?
You're basically one month in so if you look at what's been the norm for the current turnaround time, you're in the neighborhood of 4 weeks from plastic. There are cases where it's been longer but 8-ish weeks seems to be when most have been getting theirs lately, myself included.

Glass, they're going to push you through brother. I had two arrests for Minor in Possesion of Alcohol, one when I was 18 and one when I was 19. It wasn't mine either time but since I was in the car when it was found I got popped for it like everyone else.

The holdup is probably because you forgot to disclose it originally but I honestly believe they'll push you through. They're just probably taking a second look due to the late addition you made to your record or something.

GlassG19
Posts in topic: 198

Post by GlassG19 »

Twist wrote:
merrittj214 wrote:12/23/15: Application submitted
01/05/16: Fingerprints provided
01/16/16: Class completed
01/21/16: Supporting documents email confirmation from DPS

Silence since then. Today is 2/22/16. I guess I am on day 32. Maybe I need to be more patient. Do you hear any updates at all, or just wait and wait and one day it turns up in your mailbox?
You're basically one month in so if you look at what's been the norm for the current turnaround time, you're in the neighborhood of 4 weeks from plastic. There are cases where it's been longer but 8-ish weeks seems to be when most have been getting theirs lately, myself included.

Glass, they're going to push you through brother. I had two arrests for Minor in Possesion of Alcohol, one when I was 18 and one when I was 19. It wasn't mine either time but since I was in the car when it was found I got popped for it like everyone else.

The holdup is probably because you forgot to disclose it originally but I honestly believe they'll push you through. They're just probably taking a second look due to the late addition you made to your record or something.

Thanks for the encouragement Twist! I hope so. I've wanted this license for quite some time & finally got the time to finish it & hope I haven't messed it up for myself
:txflag:
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

zimmerdesignz
Posts in topic: 98

Post by zimmerdesignz »

I'm at 9 weeks and my record is squeaky clean. Stop trying to put LOGIC to it. There is not LOGIC. :confused5
:tiphat:

sweatmachine
Posts in topic: 88

Post by sweatmachine »

zimmerdesignz wrote:I'm at 9 weeks and my record is squeaky clean. Stop trying to put LOGIC to it. There is not LOGIC. :confused5
The RDS/DPS lady I spoke with today said "there really is no rhyme or reason to anyone's timeline" so even they admit it's a nonsensical frustrating delayed process.

Hang in there, y'all. :txflag:

GlassG19
Posts in topic: 198

Post by GlassG19 »

zimmerdesignz wrote:I'm at 9 weeks and my record is squeaky clean. Stop trying to put LOGIC to it. There is not LOGIC. :confused5

"rlol" "rlol" ,,, I guess you're right Zimmer! All depends how you look at it.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

Twist

Post by Twist »

You're right, there is no logical way to try and figure it out but if you are squeaky clean it will happen.

I can't explain the timelines or reasonings, but if you're clean, you're good. It will happen. The wait isn't fun but when you think about it, calling them constantly isn't going to do you any good. You're just going to stress yourself more if you don't hear what you want to hear. They're going to work through all apps in whatever order and by however they want. Just relax, it's going to happen. You can still carry in your vehicle, just not on your person. It's not ideal but it's better than nothing for now.

Twist

Post by Twist »

sweatmachine wrote:
The RDS/DPS lady I spoke with today said "there really is no rhyme or reason to anyone's timeline" so even they admit it's a nonsensical frustrating delayed process.

Hang in there, y'all. :txflag:
And that is an exact and honest response.

There is no pattern to figure out because they don't follow one. Maybe you get it in 4 weeks, maybe you get it in 4 months. They're going to get through these by whatever method and order they use and that's just the way it is unfortunately.

TexasGirl1972
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasGirl1972 »

I AM AT DAY 54 OF WAITING FOR MY CHL!!

My CHL timeline...

Took CHL class 12/19/15
Fingerprints done 12/29/15
Completed online application 12/29/15
Uploaded documents 12/29/15
Received email confirmation that my documents were received 12/30/15

I have checked the website EVERY DAY and it has NEVER CHANGED ONCE!! I have tried to call multiple times over the past couple of weeks and each time it tells me due to high call volume I must call back at a later time. Getting VERY impatient!

I see quite a few others who submitted their applications long after I did have already received their licenses!

Gnamaree02
Posts in topic: 104

Post by Gnamaree02 »

TexasGirl1972 wrote:I AM AT DAY 54 OF WAITING FOR MY CHL!!

My CHL timeline...

Took CHL class 12/19/15

I have checked the website EVERY DAY and it has NEVER CHANGED ONCE!! I have tried to call multiple times over the past couple of weeks and each time it tells me due to high call volume I must call back at a later time. Getting VERY impatient!

I see quite a few others who submitted their applications long after I did have already received their licenses!
When you get that recording that says it's got a high call volume, hang up and call right back. I did that twice this morning. Then I got a recording that said it would be 18 minute hold to speak to someone. It was just over 28 minutes, but I got a live person! :totap: :sleep

midnight 6207
Posts in topic: 2

Post by midnight 6207 »

Gnamaree02 wrote:
TexasGirl1972 wrote:I AM AT DAY 54 OF WAITING FOR MY CHL!!

My CHL timeline...

Took CHL class 12/19/15

When you get that recording that says it's got a high call volume, hang up and call right back. I did that twice this morning. Then I got a recording that said it would be 18 minute hold to speak to someone. It was just over 28 minutes, but I got a live person! :totap: :sleep
I rcvd my plastic on Jan. 21, 2016. Total time from start date (when DPS rcvd all my material) was 9.5 wks/67 days with criminal history. Here is some helpful information on the Hand Gun License application process.

•Hand Gun Licenses are issued by the TX DPS Regulatory Service Division (RSD) 512-424-7293
•You cannot check your hand gun license application status in person in Austin
•RSD phone lines to check the status of your hand gun license application are open M-F: 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• No direct phone line to the public is available (you must use automated phone system & follow the prompts)
•If the phone bank is full, the automated system will tell you to try again; keep calling back until you get a place in line in the phone bank.
•All Monday's of the year: phone bank is full with callers waiting in line, keep calling back
•1st business day after Christmas is the busiest phone day of the year (after multiple tries I finally got a place in the phone bank and was in line for 54 minutes)
•Phone bank lines are full & busy after mass shootings in the news
•The link to check your application status on-line mostly is a dead end (after entering your drivers license # and your date of birth, it just states "to allow for sufficient time for processing")
•Application process doesn't start until payment & all check list items are received.
•Waiting period is shorter by a few days if you pay application fee on-line & email your "Certificate of Training" rather than mailing in your payment & certificate
•It is best to schedule your finger printing on the day of or the next day after you plan on applying on-line
•If you don't have your personal copy of your criminal history record, which is needed for the questions asked on the on-line application, you can pay the same finger print service company (IdentoGO by Morpho Trust USA, 888-467-2080) $25 for a "personal background check." Takes 5 weeks to receive them back in mail.
•Rule of thumb during peak periods of application submittals: add 30 days to day of finger printing to start count down (I finger printed on Nov 11th, the first step of my application process called "review" started on Dec. 9) or call in and ask for your application review start date
•The bar code received with the confirmation email after your submitted application is just a receipt for the on-line payment for application fee- it is not used for tracking the application status
•Your drivers license # is used for tracking the application status
•The quickest license granted turn-over time quoted to me was a "few weeks"; (probably during non-peak and no investigation needed of criminal or medical history)
•If you have a criminal record history (any arrest record even if there was no conviction), add up to 60 days to application review start date. They will use this time for the criminal history record check of the applicant & an investigation of the applicant's official records to verify the accuracy of the applicant's materials.
•The application process (to issue or deny a hand gun license), by law, may not take more than 180 days from the date the application and materials were received by the department. Record checks and investigations for medical record history take longer than criminal record history.
•The RSD automated phone line system for hand gun license application status will be eventually answered by a live representative: have your drivers license #, questions & notes ready
• The phone lines are least busy from 7 a.m.-9 a.m.

Hope this helps you and any other future "Waiting Room" fellow gunners. The wait will be worth it.

KahunaTim
Posts in topic: 5

Post by KahunaTim »

KahunaTim wrote::hurry: :anamatedbanana :thewave :txflag: :woohoo :fire :drool:

It looks like my seat may soon be open, I just got off the phone with Sherri at RDS and my license was issued today (9 weeks & 1 day after receiving the confirmation email from DPS) and that may plastic should be in the mailbox in .....yeah I kinda quit listening at that point due to the marching band playing in my head...

Now on to more pressing issues....does this 9mm make me look fat...lol
Plastic in hand 2/22/16

midnight 6207
Posts in topic: 2

Post by midnight 6207 »

KahunaTim wrote:
KahunaTim wrote::hurry: :anamatedbanana :thewave :txflag: :woohoo :fire :drool:

It looks like my seat may soon be open, I just got off the phone with Sherri at RDS and my license was issued today (9 weeks & 1 day after receiving the confirmation email from DPS) and that may plastic should be in the mailbox in .....yeah I kinda quit listening at that point due to the marching band playing in my head...

Now on to more pressing issues....does this 9mm make me look fat...lol
Plastic in hand 2/22/16
Like the commercial say " what do you have in your wallet" & "never leave home with out it"

I know I don't.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 8

Post by TreyHouston »

Kahunatim!!! Awsome!!!!!!!!!! I called and got verbal approval the same day as you. I have been stocking the mailman and checking the website every hour. be safe bro, hope to see you on the range!!!!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

REDNECK
Posts in topic: 3

Post by REDNECK »

REDNECK wrote:Hi all been on the form for a little while now, here is my time line

12/14/15: submitted applications online
12/18/15: fingerprints
12/20/15: LTC course/ submitted documents online (chl 100) (dd214)
12/21/15: confirmation email
Called today was told I was "selected for issue please allow another 2 weeks"

Just checked the website, updated this morning

rl14
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rl14 »

rl14 wrote:I just got off the phone with DPS and they said I was approved and that they are now waiting to print it. No website change today and here is my timeline again.

12/18 application started
12/20 CHL-100 submitted
12/21 LTC docs received confirmation
12/28 Fingerprinted
2/18 Phone call to DPS no website change
I checked website this morning too, and the site changed!
Hopefully it'll be in the mail soon!

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”