February Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

BriN
Posts in topic: 30

Re: February Applications

Post by BriN »

ysaias wrote:Day 84 in Harris county. Co worker is on day 91 an still waiting. We have both lived in Harris county our whole life. Just wanted to leave some infor for anyone out there in Harris county who is still waiting on theirs.
:deadhorse:

02/07/09 -- CHL Class Taken
02/09/09 -- Packet sent cretified mail w/ money order
02/12/09 -- Packet received by State
03/02/09 -- PIN received
XX/XX/09 -- Application Complete
XX/XX/09 -- Plastic in hand
Same general timeline... lived and worked in Harris County for more than 8 years now. No criminal record, no tax or child support issues. Just waiting for that one lonely trooper to happen upon my background check which has no doubt been sitting in a pile for more than 60 days now. I am happy to see others getting theirs because it is starting to feel like the whole thing is a myth. Still, it would be nice if I would hear something from DPS other than 'still waiting on the background check..." :totap:

Statutes... what statutes? You are only imagining that it says it was supposed to be issued or denied within any timeframe... :???: :rules:
Harris County (no issues w/paperwork)
02/08/09 CHL class
02/12/09 paperwork received
03/09/09 PIN & 'Processing Application'
06/26/09 BC finally returned (Day 134)
07/05/09 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active (Day 143)
07/10/09 plastic in hand (Day 149 from rececipt)

dimbulb
Posts in topic: 12

Post by dimbulb »

WOOT! Plastic in hand! Mailed on 5/5/09 to Denton county.
the DIMbulb

Kinetikz
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kinetikz »

I apologize if this has been covered before, but the tentative turn around time for Feb applicants is around 3 months?

8mpg
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 8mpg »

Plastic...Im packing tomorrow... :clapping:

ysaias
Posts in topic: 36

Post by ysaias »

Kinetikz wrote:I apologize if this has been covered before, but the tentative turn around time for Feb applicants is around 3 months?

Depends on what County you live in. Some people are getting theirs around that time frame. 5/12/09 will be 3 months to the date for me,I will give an update if I dont have it by then. I was pretty patient during this whole thing up until day 60, after that its been like the longest wait and I think I will have to wait at least another 1-2 months because of the slow pokes in Harris County. :headscratch

03/02/09 -- PIN received

I Know Jack
Posts in topic: 18

Post by I Know Jack »

I am on Day 79 since my application was received in Austin. I can't even get a response to emails I have sent to DPS. This is the slowest process I have ever seen for a background check and also the most expensive. I only paid 132.00 for a complete Federal Background check, for a job and I received it in less than 30 days. Can anyone provide me names of the "Best" State representatives to contact in Harris county?
Glock 27
Colt 1911

ysaias

Post by ysaias »

I Know Jack wrote:I am on Day 79 since my application was received in Austin. I can't even get a response to emails I have sent to DPS. This is the slowest process I have ever seen for a background check and also the most expensive. I only paid 132.00 for a complete Federal Background check, for a job and I received it in less than 30 days. Can anyone provide me names of the "Best" State representatives to contact in Harris county?

Mike.Jackson@senate.state.tx.us

They will call and talk to someone at the DPS, They will even have the DPS call you and tell you your status. This is what thy will say "We are Processing your Application but because of Hurricane IKE the gulf coast area is behind on getting background checks to us....blah blah blah blah blah". Mike Jacksons office already called them twice for me. I am on day 86 today. I hope it works out better for you. Good Luck! :banghead:

Harris County
03/02/09 -- PIN received

BriN

Post by BriN »

ysaias wrote:

They will call and talk to someone at the DPS, They will even have the DPS call you and tell you your status. This is what thy will say "We are Processing your Application but because of Hurricane IKE the gulf coast area is behind on getting background checks to us....blah blah blah blah blah". Mike Jacksons office already called them twice for me. I am on day 86 today. I hope it works out better for you. Good Luck! :banghead:

Harris County
03/02/09 -- PIN received
I have worked with both Dan Patrick and Allen Fletcher's offices and what ysaias said has been my experience except for the fact that no one from DPS ever actually calls me back based on their request. They tell me that someone will be contacting me with additional information but inevitably, I always have to reach out myself and I get the standard "We are waiting for the background investigation to be completed. All applications are taking longer than normal due to the increase of applications being processed".

Very very helpful :roll:
02/08/09 CHL class

I Know Jack
Posts in topic: 18

Post by I Know Jack »

Thank you both for the information..... You would think with all these EXTRA applications the DPS could afford to hire temporary help. Extra applications = EXTRA Revenue.
Glock 27
Colt 1911

boaterman
Posts in topic: 6

Post by boaterman »

Filed on line and Charged to CC 2/06/09
CHL class 2/11/09
Received Pin and Packet 2/24/09
Mailed Packet 2/24/09
Confirmed delivery in Austin 2/26/09
Processing 3/26/09
Received the "more Info" letter 5/1/09 (36 day of processing) I needed to initial an avadavat that had been notarized by the instructor ???
Back into the mail the same day.
DPS received 5/4/09
Processing 5/8/09 (Day 43 of processing)
Next problem ???????

Allofus123
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Allofus123 »

ysaias wrote:
I Know Jack wrote:I am on Day 79 since my application was received in Austin. I can't even get a response to emails I have sent to DPS. This is the slowest process I have ever seen for a background check and also the most expensive. I only paid 132.00 for a complete Federal Background check, for a job and I received it in less than 30 days. Can anyone provide me names of the "Best" State representatives to contact in Harris county?
I'd suggest you contact YOUR representative. You can locate your representitives here. http://www.capwiz.com/nra/state/main/?s ... =chgaddr#0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ysaias

Post by ysaias »

Just wanted to leave an update for my co-worker and I. I am on day 89 and he is on day 95 we are in Harris county. This is taking to damn long. :bigmouth

Harris County
03/02/09 -- PIN received

southboundp
Posts in topic: 5

Post by southboundp »

I called my reps. office friday (she was out of town) but she called DPS and the called me back this morning. She said they had "just" gotten the last piece of info/background check in that they needed. They even told her I should have my plastic by Tuesday of next week (that would be day 80). I'll believe it when I see it. Status on website still has "processing application." Will keep you posted.
Glock 27 .40 cal.
Taurus 24/7 Pro C 9mm
DMPS Panther Lite 16" 5.56 AR

BriN

Post by BriN »

southboundp wrote:I called my reps. office friday (she was out of town) but she called DPS and the called me back this morning. She said they had "just" gotten the last piece of info/background check in that they needed. They even told her I should have my plastic by Tuesday of next week (that would be day 80). I'll believe it when I see it. Status on website still has "processing application." Will keep you posted.
It is my understanding that it will say 'Processing Application' until they physically receive the plastic back from the printer and they verify the information. Once you see it say 'Application Completed...', the plastic should be hitting the mail.

I would just love any piece of information at this point other than... 'we are still waiting for your background check to be completed...' :headscratch
02/08/09 CHL class

NJB
Posts in topic: 5

Post by NJB »

NJB wrote:New to the forums, from Houston/spring area. Been browsing the forums for a couple weeks now, decided to sign up. I sent my application in on the 2/21/09, check cashed 2/27/09. I am headed back home to Idaho first of April and will be turning in my application for carry permit there as well. I am doing this because after talking to the sherrif's office back in my home town I have been informed I would probably get the Idaho permit much sooner than my Texas one. We will see if that is true.

Well I was right about getting my license from Idaho faster than Texas. Talked to the Sherrif's office back home and I will be able to pick up my card when I am in town on the 22nd.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”