November '08 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

agv0008
Posts in topic: 2

Re: November '08 Applications

Post by agv0008 »

Just got my plastic today. The (boring) packaging was hilarious, of all the things I read about getting a chl, I didn't know about this. I just saw the address on the letter and folded the envelope in half. Sure enough, something card like inside!! I am lucky, I had a textbook wait time. The status changed to license issued exactly 60 days after the packet got there and I got the license a few days after. I really do think it depends a lot on many random factors that seem like they wouldn't matter. (Last name being common ect.)
Wally Walk Tomorrow YEAH. (will keep finger off banana trigger :anamatedbanana )
Good luck to all still waiting.

TexCalhoun
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexCalhoun »

Checked during Obama's inaugural speech and my status had changed! :anamatedbanana
10/27 - Online App completed
11/04 - Packet received from State
11/22 - Class Taken
11/24 - Packet Mailed to State
11/26 - Packet received by State
12/14 - Processing Application
01/20 - Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
01/24 - Plastic Received

kirock7
Posts in topic: 14

Post by kirock7 »

TexCalhoun wrote:Checked during Obama's inaugural speech and my status had changed! :anamatedbanana
Good for you! Since your timing is pretty close to mine I'm hoping that my number pops up soon as well.
Congrats!

Ft. Bend County -
Applied Online: 11/11/08
Received DPS Packet: 11/17/08
CHL Class (passed): 11/23/08
Completed DPS Packet mailed: 11/24/08
"Processing Application": 12/13

KingOfDirk
Posts in topic: 11

Post by KingOfDirk »

TexCalhoun wrote:Checked during Obama's inaugural speech and my status had changed! :anamatedbanana
How in the world did you find the willpower to tear yourself away from THE SPEECH long enough to check? ;-)

Congratulations! :thumbs2:
"...the person who loves everybody and feels at home everywhere is the true hater of mankind. He expects nothing of men, so no form of depravity can outrage him."

Derekhie
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Derekhie »

Well, my status is now back to Processing Application. I guess that's a good thing?

kelley350x
Posts in topic: 4

Post by kelley350x »

I see in a lot of your signatures that your applied online and received a packet. The day I took the class i mailed the paperwork that was given to me in the class. Is there something else i am missing? I have already received my plastic so i am assuming all is ok.
Mike

Topic author
Morgan
Posts in topic: 46

Post by Morgan »

kelley350x wrote:I see in a lot of your signatures that your applied online and received a packet. The day I took the class i mailed the paperwork that was given to me in the class. Is there something else i am missing? I have already received my plastic so i am assuming all is ok.
Mike

There are 2 methods to apply. The way you did it where you used a pen and forms and sent them all to the state after the class, OR you can apply online to the state. If one applies online, the state sends you some "stuff" in the mail. Then after your class, you take some of the stuff you got in class and some of the stuff the state sent you, and send it all back to them.

SO I doubt you're missing anything.

kelley350x
Posts in topic: 4

Post by kelley350x »

Morgan wrote: There are 2 methods to apply. The way you did it where you used a pen and forms and sent them all to the state after the class, OR you can apply online to the state. If one applies online, the state sends you some "stuff" in the mail. Then after your class, you take some of the stuff you got in class and some of the stuff the state sent you, and send it all back to them.

SO I doubt you're missing anything.
Ahh i see, thanks for clearing that up.
MIke

jiannichan
Posts in topic: 22

Post by jiannichan »

Both are the same. The stuff you get in class is the same thing that comes in the mail, minus the passport photos and notary, and the obvious completion certificate. The only difference with doing it online is the application is filled in already when it is mailed to you. Also, applying online doesn't help speed things up.
-jchan

TexCalhoun
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexCalhoun »

Plain white envelope arrived today. :woohoo

Beady eyes... check.
Double chin... check.
Legal to carry... check.

Loaded and chambered, ready to go. :txflag:

They received my packet on 11/26 and I received my plastic on 1/24. That's 60 days (including the mailing time to get the plastic to me).

Given the fact that we had the Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years holidays during the wait, that's not bad at all.

Thinking about taking the Wally Walk later this afternoon. :tiphat:
10/27 - Online App completed
11/04 - Packet received from State
11/22 - Class Taken
11/24 - Packet Mailed to State
11/26 - Packet received by State
12/14 - Processing Application
01/20 - Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
01/24 - Plastic Received

kimber909
Posts in topic: 10

Post by kimber909 »

Well I'm over 60 days. I guess it's time to start calling. It's rediculous that it takes this long. The DPS has got to be raking in cash @ $140 a pop. Hello, spend some of that money on more resources. You would think the extra revenue could translate into new jobs for folks.

Ricky
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Ricky »

I sent an email to my state Senator who then contacted DPS. DPS told them that since my fingerprints were returned and resubmitted that the process starts all over and the 60 day counter starts from the day that they received the updated fingerprint cards.
Looks like I'm in for a long wait.
11/15 Took CHL class
11/17 Certified mailed packet
11/18 Received in Austin at 06.32
12/18 Received notice that the fingerprint cards did not meet minimum qualifications
12/24 New prints delivered at 09.53
03/02/2009 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

Topic author
Morgan
Posts in topic: 46

Post by Morgan »

They SAY that but I think most who've had to re-do finger prints haven't found it to be the case. I think they roll with the background checks while you're doing your prints.

kirock7
Posts in topic: 14

Post by kirock7 »

TexCalhoun wrote:Plain white envelope arrived today. :woohoo

Beady eyes... check.
Double chin... check.
Legal to carry... check.

Loaded and chambered, ready to go. :txflag:

They received my packet on 11/26 and I received my plastic on 1/24. That's 60 days (including the mailing time to get the plastic to me).

Given the fact that we had the Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years holidays during the wait, that's not bad at all.

Thinking about taking the Wally Walk later this afternoon. :tiphat:
Congrats, TexCalhoun! I'm looking forward to seeing some pics from your Wally Walk when ya do it... and I'm hoping I won't be too far behind ya. :cool:

Ft. Bend County -
Applied Online: 11/11/08
Received DPS Packet: 11/17/08
CHL Class (passed): 11/23/08
Completed DPS Packet mailed: 11/24/08
"Processing Application": 12/13

Derekhie
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Derekhie »

Ricky wrote:I sent an email to my state Senator who then contacted DPS. DPS told them that since my fingerprints were returned and resubmitted that the process starts all over and the 60 day counter starts from the day that they received the updated fingerprint cards.
Looks like I'm in for a long wait.
Looks like I in the same boat as you. I posted this in the "Photo is too Dark" thread on Friday.
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Probably not at all. DPS doesn't take the position that your 60 days starts over, although technically they could. They will keep processing your application and your photo is used only when they are making your CHL. I've also been told by DPS that your CHL instructor can sign the replacement photo.

Chas.
Derekhie wrote:
Just got off the phone with DPS. It's been 62 days since they received my application. I was just informed that they recieved my new pictures on 1/7 and started my processing OVER AGAIN ON 1/20. This means my new 60 day period will be MARCH 20th.
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Technically they are correct. The 60 day period begins when DPS has a "complete application" and usable photos are part of a complete application. However, this is the first time I've ever heard of them actually claiming the 60 period started over. Since DPS typically runs several months late without the excuse of an incomplete package, I don't know that it matters. I still don't think they put your application aside waiting for photos; they're just using this to keep you from calling again until March. When you do, then you will be told they are "waiting on the background check to come back." Trust me, your photos haven't made any difference in when you will receive your CHL.

Chas.
Derekhie wrote:
You must be right because I've seen others on here that have had missing information requested and sent back and a week after the DPS received there missing info the applications were completed. I have seen this on more than one signature.
Lets hope he's right...

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”