Harris County Applicants

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

HGWC
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Re: Harris County Applicants

Post by HGWC »

I'm curious if they're still sending letters after 60 days. Back in the fall, they were blaming it on hurricane Ike. I wonder what their excuse is now?

dicion
Posts in topic: 7

Post by dicion »

To my knowledge, they are not sending anything, at all, unless your application is missing something, or prints get returned, etc.

USA1
Posts in topic: 12

Post by USA1 »

HGWC wrote:I'm curious if they're still sending letters after 60 days.
isnt that addorable.....just kidding...i havent heard of any letters sent out . if that were the case, they should send the letter immediately upon receiving the application , knowing full well the process takes way over 60 days.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

dicion

Post by dicion »

I have written the letter that I said I was going to. I submit it here for both review, and for others to possibly use if they so desire.

http://dicion.net/chlletter.doc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I still have 14 days before I can send it, however, others may be able to send it immediately, depending on their situation, if they chose to do so.

Be aware, if you do get a hearing, it will be probably in your best interest to have a lawyer present. Preferrably one that knows CHL law top to bottom.

Questions, comments, concerns welcome.

USA1

Post by USA1 »

well put together Dicion, are you really going this route ?

dicion

Post by dicion »

I haven't decided yet.

I know Charles mentioned that he was putting something together in another thread, and I'm sort of waiting to see what comes of that, however it's definately something I'm considering.

Also, since IANAL, I was sort of hoping on Charles' opinion on this course of action, and what he believes would possibly come of it.

Btw, just spoke to the office of my senator, Dan Patrick. The aide there was very helpful and friendly. She was aware of this issue, and had previously contacted DPS for other people, and said that the DPS has told her that they are still blaming the hurricane for the delays. I told her that I believed that it still did not allow them to break the law, and she agreed with me. She added my name to the list of constituents having this issue.

I personally believe, that if we all started requesting hearings, and filled the county dockets, that it would definately force action. If not from the DPS, then from the county judiciary for having to put up with all of us :rolll

USA1

Post by USA1 »

dicion wrote:
I personally believe, that if we all started requesting hearings, and filled the county dockets, that it would definately force action. If not from the DPS, then from the county judiciary for having to put up with all of us :rolll
:iagree: 100%

Chip
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Chip »

DPS has told her that they are still blaming the hurricane for the delays.
It's like a wreck on the freeway at rush hour. They can clear the wreck, but traffic stays jammed up until rush hour is over. The problem here is that rush hour for CHL applications won't be over until at best 2012!
I will add, as a fifth circumstance in the situation of the House of Representatives, restraining them from oppressive measures, that they can make no law which will not have its full operation on themselves and their friends, as well as on the great mass of the society. - J Madison, Federalist #57

USA1

Post by USA1 »

Chip wrote: The problem here is that rush hour for CHL applications won't be over until at best 2012!
"rlol" smooth :thumbs2:

Rigger 609

Post by Rigger 609 »

I'm curious if they're still sending letters after 60 days.
I'm at day 99 and still have nothing other than Processing application. I'm not ready to take it to a hearing, but am getting close. It is depressing to see other folks that sent in their applications after I did getting theirs. I sent a e-mail last week for more information, but still have heard nothing.

My background check should be a snap. I just spent 20 years in the military. They trusted me. :angel:

I will just sit here doing what we all do best :deadhorse: :blowup
U.S. Navy (Retired)
03/14/09 -- CHL Class Taken
03/17/09 -- Packet mailed to DPS
03/19/09 -- Received by DPS
05/05/09 -- PIN received
XX/XX/09 -- Application Complete
XX/XX/09 -- Plastic in hand

USA1

Post by USA1 »

Rigger 609 wrote: I just spent 20 years in the military.
:patriot: Thank You for your service to our country :tiphat:

quickdraw

Post by quickdraw »

DPS needs to wait 60 days after they request a BC from Harris County, and if they have not gotten a response then go ahead and issue the permit. Let Harris County worry about the fact that people who may not pass a BC are carrying in their county. I'm at day 130+ and have been waiting on Harris county BC for at least six weeks. What are the chances of a state or federal check not turning anything up then harris county finding something anyway?
CHL Class 2/7/09
Mailed App 2/13/09
Rec'd by DPS 2/17/09
PIN letter dated 3/13/09
App complete 7/17/09
plastic in hand 7/22/09

I Know Jack
Posts in topic: 1

Post by I Know Jack »

Rigger 609 wrote:My background check should be a snap. I just spent 20 years in the military. They trusted me.
One would think so anyway, however I am in the same boat. All my federal background checks have made no difference! This is just a broken system that is in despearte need of fixing! I am over 120 days and they still have not received my BG back from Harris county, I have not received any letter from DPS and have sent email after email to state reps, DPS, and it frankly does no good and seldom do I even get a response!

Ken
Glock 27
Colt 1911

ysaias

Post by ysaias »

I have posted a few times in here before, I usually post on February applications. My status change yesterday to "application complete licence issude or certificate active". It took 133 days. I havent received my plastic yet so I am still counting. I tried everything I could from contacting the State rep and calling the DPS it seem to not do anything. I will let you guys know when I get the plastic, I am guessing it will be here Saturday and if so that would make it day 136......freaking unbeliveable! Good luck all.

Harris County
02/07/09 -- CHL Class Taken
02/09/09 -- Packet sent cretified mail w/ money order
02/12/09 -- Packet received by State
03/02/09 -- PIN received
06/24/09 -- Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
XX/XX/09 -- Plastic in hand!

MaleNurseXD40
Posts in topic: 4

Post by MaleNurseXD40 »

Currently on day 135.............last poster gives me hope! I gave up waiting. I hadn't checked my status in weeks until today. Working in Trauma ICU keeps me busy :) It'll get here when it gets here! I do agree that it is ridiculous, but, unfortunately I doubt we can do anything about it. Good luck everybody, and for those who just submitted their apps.....I do not envy you! Just try and be patient (haha, yeah right).
02/07/09 -- CHL Class Taken
02/09/09 -- Packet mailed to DPS
02/10/09 -- DPS received packet
3/06/09 -- PIN letter mailed
07/27/09 -- Plastic in hand!

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”