August 2010 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

MrBalll
Posts in topic: 4

Re: August 2010 Applications

Post by MrBalll »

Is there anyway to get a more precise view of completion, like something consisting of dates started/completed? My application was delivered August 19th and I checked online for the first time around Sept. 2nd and it was at the background check. I was just wondering if there was anyway to see how long I have been in the background check part. Would calling them and asking do any good? Thanks.

GlockFan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GlockFan »

On my renewal it was stuck there for two weeks :shock: Mailed 7/27 came in the mail yesterday 9/11
Jak Se Mas?

NOS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by NOS »

MrBalll wrote:Is there anyway to get a more precise view of completion, like something consisting of dates started/completed? My application was delivered August 19th and I checked online for the first time around Sept. 2nd and it was at the background check. I was just wondering if there was anyway to see how long I have been in the background check part. Would calling them and asking do any good? Thanks.
You can call, but you will probably get the same "canned" answer a lot of us got. The BG check goes through the FBI, and there is nothing that the DPS can do until they hear from the FBI. They may be able to see if there are any flags on you BG, provided the FBI has even started your check and posted updates on your file. From what I was told, the FBI is in charge of the process now, and DPS can't help until the BG check is complete.
The only other advice I can give, is to kick back and not worry about it too much. I know... Easier said than done. The waiting is the worst part, but in the end it is MORE than worth it. :tiphat:
06/06/2010 Class Taken
06/17/2010 Packet Mailed
06/19/2010 Packet Received
07/07/2010 Status Online/Application Missing
07/12/2010 Mailed New Application
07/15/2010 Application Complete
08/18/2010 Fingerprints Complete
08/24/2010 Background Complete
08/27/2010 Mailed
09/01/2010 Plastic

MrBalll

Post by MrBalll »

NOS wrote:You can call, but you will probably get the same "canned" answer a lot of us got. The BG check goes through the FBI, and there is nothing that the DPS can do until they hear from the FBI. They may be able to see if there are any flags on you BG, provided the FBI has even started your check and posted updates on your file. From what I was told, the FBI is in charge of the process now, and DPS can't help until the BG check is complete.
The only other advice I can give, is to kick back and not worry about it too much. I know... Easier said than done. The waiting is the worst part, but in the end it is MORE than worth it. :tiphat:
Guess I'll just kick back and wait then. Been almost two days since I last checked so I guess that's a good start. Thanks for the info, though.

teds787
Posts in topic: 8

Post by teds787 »

I'm official. Got my plastic on 9/11. Did not do "official" wally walk, but I did do a good deal of concealed carrying in public over the weekend. My girlfriend was my spotter and subsequent heckler for my first days out in public while carrying. And now here I am, at the office, where there's a standing "no firearms" policy, already feeling naked without it. :-)

07/31/2010: CHL Class
08/09/2010: Mailed to DPS
08/19/2010: Online information Available
08/19/2010: Fingerprints Approved
09/07/2010: Background Check Complete
09/07/2010: Manufacturing
09/09/2010: Mailed
09/11/2010: Plastic

TedS787

Bob in Big D
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bob in Big D »

I am down to "Manufacturing Pending" so I am guessing I have another 10 days to two weeks before plastic in hand. :hurry: :hurry:
Gun Control Means Using Two Hands!

AustinMRH

Post by AustinMRH »

I took my class 8/19, and am down to just the background check. Hopefully only another week or two. I had hoped my MTAC would show up today, but the postman didn't bring it. Itching to start wearing it around the house, since just the gun tucked IWB pokes out a little.

I'm actually looking to get into Krav Maga this fall, so maybe I can be defensive without having to resort to lethality.

Bob in Big D

Post by Bob in Big D »

Bob in Big D wrote:I am down to "Manufacturing Pending" so I am guessing I have another 10 days to two weeks before plastic in hand. :hurry: :hurry:
WOHOOOO it is in the mail!!!!!!
Gun Control Means Using Two Hands!

NavAir
Posts in topic: 5

Post by NavAir »

Well, the simple, non-descript envelope arrived today! A month and a day from CHL class to license. Realizing how slowly governmental authorities move, not bad at all. I guess it pays to have a clean record...

MrBalll

Post by MrBalll »

Well, passed the background check today and am now at Manufacturing Pending. Hopefully I'll have it before the end of next week. Shame my holster won't be here for another two or so weeks. Oh well, guess the cargo pocket will have to do for now.

Also, congrats NavAir. :thumbs2:

yotaguy
Posts in topic: 12

Post by yotaguy »

I'm in the same boat. Crossbreed holster is 2-3 weeks out since I delayed my decision on what my primary carry pistol would be. Practicing with my LCP in front pocket with $10 cover.....I just couldn't bring myself to believe the DPS would turn my plastic in 4 weeks. I guess it's better than having the gear and waiting on the plastic. ;-)
MrBalll wrote:Well, passed the background check today and am now at Manufacturing Pending. Hopefully I'll have it before the end of next week. Shame my holster won't be here for another two or so weeks. Oh well, guess the cargo pocket will have to do for now.

Also, congrats NavAir. :thumbs2:
Online application completed: 7/23
CHL Class taken: 8/7
Packet mailed: 8/9
Packet received by DPS: 8/11 (Certified mail)
Packet contents shown as received on DPS web: 8/18
Fingerprints accepted: 8/22
Background check completed: 8/27
Mailed: 8/31
Plastic in hand: 9/4

NRA/TSRA

SlickTX
Posts in topic: 14

Post by SlickTX »

I received my plastic in the mail yesterday. 30 days, door-to-door. Not too bad for folks in Austin.

:anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana :woohoo :woohoo
[Insert pithy witicism here]

Proudly carrying since 09/10.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

SlickTX wrote:I received my plastic in the mail yesterday. 30 days
Congrats!

Make sure you report back on your required Wally Walk LOL
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

AustinMRH

Post by AustinMRH »

Holster showed up yesterday, Comp Tac Spartan. CHL moved to Manufacturing Pending this morning. Sweet!

SlickTX
Posts in topic: 14

Post by SlickTX »

Teamless wrote:
SlickTX wrote:I received my plastic in the mail yesterday. 30 days
Congrats!

Make sure you report back on your required Wally Walk LOL
I ordered a Tucker "The Answer" around August 18th. I was quoted 4-6 weeks til receipt. The Wally Walk will be a couple of weeks down the line.
[Insert pithy witicism here]

Proudly carrying since 09/10.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”