Call your State Rep

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

scruff254
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Call your State Rep

Post by scruff254 »

TVGuy wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
scruff254 wrote:So after emailing my state rep, I called and got through to RSD in Austin and my documents have been processed and they are finishing up the background check, Card should be printed and mailed next week.
Call your representatives if you're having legitimate issues with the process, it in fact sped up my wait time from "awaiting documentation" to "finishing background check" in a matter of 24 hours. It worked!
You called your Rep. even before the 60 days processing period had expired? Why?

Chas.
:iagree:

today is day 60, I EMAILED my Representative yesterday on day 59 because Austin hadn't acknowledged receipt of any documents... I called DPS today, so no actually, you understood that completely backwards! :shock:
"Chance favors a prepared mind"

chasesmallwood10
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasesmallwood10 »

I got plastic in 24 days. Was a first time applicant.

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmra »

chasesmallwood10 wrote:I got plastic in 24 days. Was a first time applicant.
That's awesome - hopefully this becomes the norm.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

chasesmallwood10
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasesmallwood10 »

I got mine in 24 days but wife is still waiting. Applied only 1 day apart.

bryan1980

Post by bryan1980 »

Speaking for myself, I'm going to wait out the 60 days before I contact my state rep. I've waited this long, might as well wait some more. But, I'm glad to see people contacting their elected officials about this process. They work for us, after all, and it's the only way anything's going to get worked-out. I understand the DPS is busy, but that's no excuse for being rude or hanging up on people. That doesn't fly in the private sector, so the same should apply to taxpayer-funded organizations.
5/21/14 - Submitted online app.
5/24/14 - Class
5/27/14 - Submitted CHL-100 & checklist
7/18/14 - Plastic in hand

jeffdick

Post by jeffdick »

Talked with my State Rep Office today and they said that they would call and they said, " A phone call from us and it will be shaken loose!" Said that the DPS has out sourced the chl process to a third party contractor and that they were not happy with the service they were receiving.
Submitted all documets - 5/19

jminn1

Post by jminn1 »

I'd like to personally raise a toast to the men and women of DPS and the *great* job they do on a daily basis.

Just my $0.02.

The process is getting better. Much better. I waited 60 days. Then waited some more.
Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism. Barry Goldwater

kaos

Post by kaos »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: You called your Rep. even before the 60 days processing period had expired? Why?

Chas.
I agree...I would think the public has gotten used to this entitlement mindset way too often. I know when I took the CHL class...they said wait 60 business days. I ended up getting mine in less than 30 days. Guess im sorta old school and learned while in the military to "hurry up and wait!"
" A nation that does not honor it's heroes, will not long endure." Abe Lincoln

jerrybob

Post by jerrybob »

I had a problem with my initial application for a CHL because 30 years ago someone with pretty much the same name had been arrested in Amarillo, a city where I've never spent any time. It's pretty easy to prove who you are but proving who I wasn't to the DPS turned out to be another matter. After several months in limbo I mailed a letter to my State senator with copies of all the correspondence between me and the DPS. Within a week the DPS supervisor who wouldn't take my calls before called to tell me that my license was in the mail.

It's the only time in my life that an elected official has done me any good.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”