May 2014

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

CR88
Posts in topic: 4

Re: May 2014

Post by CR88 »

I got an other update today. CHL: Mailed!!!
I don't know what the deal is, but I'm extremely happy. Hopefully I'll have plastic in hand by next week. :txflag:

Pluto
Posts in topic: 70

Post by Pluto »

CR88 wrote:I got an other update today. CHL: Mailed!!!
I don't know what the deal is, but I'm extremely happy. Hopefully I'll have plastic in hand by next week. :txflag:
Congrats...must be nice ha ha

tkennemer
Posts in topic: 3

Post by tkennemer »

40 days and waiting. Status still says, "Application Processed Online." Has said that since last week of April when my husband and I filled out our online applications and paid. Documents mailed to DPS on 4/30, received by DPS on 5/2...hence the 40 days and waiting. :mad5

Selina Kyle
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Selina Kyle »

CR88 wrote:Howdy fellas. I'm new to this forum, and I would like to post my stats and see if I'm on the right track.
31MAY14: Submitted online application.
02JUN14: Mailed supporting documents.
02JUN14: Fingerprints submitted.
10JUN14: First status update: Application received.(Everything else is green, including background check)
10JUN14: CHL: Manufacturing Pending.
What do you fellas think?
Wow....I hope I have your kind of luck!
"His fist is big, but my gun's bigger. He'll find out when I pull the trigger!"
Ruger LCP
NRA Member

llucas
Posts in topic: 20

Post by llucas »

mtnthundr2 wrote:
llucas wrote:I called today as 30 days have passed since final documents submitted. After a 30 minute hold on the phone I reached someone. Took my name and drivers license number to look up my application. I was told he could not find confirmation that my application process has started or documents received. I was told to check back in two to three weeks. At this point I am not even in the queue which means they probably haven't even started the background check which in and of itself takes a minimum of three weeks these days. I looked at the last annual CHL stats posted on the website: if applications have increased any over the last annual report, they would need to process between 800 to 900 applicants per working day (based on five day work week) just to keep up. FYI.
llucas, have you checked the website to see if there is a status change/documents received? My status updated after 1 week, it showed documents received and what is in 'review'. I had a hard time when I first went to the website to check the status .... I couldn't find exactly where I was supposed to look. Here's the address to the website to check the status, https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/login.do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; its the same place we all go to do our online application, but this time we are considered a "returning user" and access our info from the "login" button on the bottom right of the screen. First you have to hit the login button then type in your DL # and DOB, then "continue". It will bring you to your status page that shows this info; (or something like this!)
Application : Received
Fingerprints : Complete
Affidavits : Received
DL or ID : Valid
Citizenship : No documentation required
Passport photo holder : Received
Photo : Received
Proof of Classroom training : Received
Proof of Proficiency training : Received
Fee : Received
Background Check : Under review
Concealed Handgun License : Print pending completion of application review

Each line is colored either yellow or green and has a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it or a green circle with a checkmark in it. If it were me, and 30 days had passed and I didn't see any updates, I would seriously consider submitting all my documentation again through the website, http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; select the program (concealed handgun) from the drop down menu, choose "submit CHL supporting documents" from the drop down menu, fill in all the info, click "choose file" to browse your computer for the correct documents/file (hint, I scanned all of my documents into one file so all i had to do was attach only one file), and then at the bottom of the tabs for "choose file" you'll see an "ATTACH" tab/button, be sure to click ATTACH once you have attached all of your documents BEFORE you hit "submit form"
I hope this helped, I am, by no means, an expert at this ..... I must have just stumbled across the correct place to submit my documents as I received a status update 7 days after submission. I'm sure I still have a long wait ahead of me for the license but at least I know they have my stuff .... Good luck to you, I hope you hear soon that all documents have been received and are in review!
PS .... within a day of my online submission of documents, I had an email confirmation that documents were received......because you never received that email conf I would DEF upload them again. As an FYI ....the first time I attached them (and thought I did it right) I realized that I hadn't done it right because I didn't see that ** ATTACH ** button at the bottom of the 'attach file' column .... I had to go back and do it again, once I clicked the ATTACH button then submit form I got a confirmation page, "thank you for contacting TXDPS, your inquiry has been successfully been submitted for a response"
That is the process I used. No, no updates. I finally received an email reply to my inquiry saying there were no attachments to my email. When I submitted on 5/7 there was no option on the pull-down menu for chl documents -- that is new. Although I noted in my inquiry that I had also mailed my documents there was no info offered about that. I then resubmitted my documents and received an email the next day indicating they had received them and to give them six weeks to, I assume, begin processing. By that point I will be nine weeks into the process. The weblink still says they are awaiting receipt of documents. It does not appear I am even in the queue yet.
4/23/14 -- applied online; 4/29/14 -- electronic fingerprints.
5/7/14 -- docs uploaded on chl site; 5/13/14 -- docs mailed.
9/5/14 -- plastic arrived in the mailbox

Pluto
Posts in topic: 70

Post by Pluto »

llucas wrote:
mtnthundr2 wrote:
llucas wrote:I called today as 30 days have passed since final documents submitted. After a 30 minute hold on the phone I reached someone. Took my name and drivers license number to look up my application. I was told he could not find confirmation that my application process has started or documents received. I was told to check back in two to three weeks. At this point I am not even in the queue which means they probably haven't even started the background check which in and of itself takes a minimum of three weeks these days. I looked at the last annual CHL stats posted on the website: if applications have increased any over the last annual report, they would need to process between 800 to 900 applicants per working day (based on five day work week) just to keep up. FYI.
llucas, have you checked the website to see if there is a status change/documents received? My status updated after 1 week, it showed documents received and what is in 'review'. I had a hard time when I first went to the website to check the status .... I couldn't find exactly where I was supposed to look. Here's the address to the website to check the status, https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/login.do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; its the same place we all go to do our online application, but this time we are considered a "returning user" and access our info from the "login" button on the bottom right of the screen. First you have to hit the login button then type in your DL # and DOB, then "continue". It will bring you to your status page that shows this info; (or something like this!)
Fingerprints : Complete

Each line is colored either yellow or green and has a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it or a green circle with a checkmark in it. If it were me, and 30 days had passed and I didn't see any updates, I would seriously consider submitting all my documentation again through the website, http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; select the program (concealed handgun) from the drop down menu, choose "submit CHL supporting documents" from the drop down menu, fill in all the info, click "choose file" to browse your computer for the correct documents/file (hint, I scanned all of my documents into one file so all i had to do was attach only one file), and then at the bottom of the tabs for "choose file" you'll see an "ATTACH" tab/button, be sure to click ATTACH once you have attached all of your documents BEFORE you hit "submit form"
I hope this helped, I am, by no means, an expert at this ..... I must have just stumbled across the correct place to submit my documents as I received a status update 7 days after submission. I'm sure I still have a long wait ahead of me for the license but at least I know they have my stuff .... Good luck to you, I hope you hear soon that all documents have been received and are in review!
PS .... within a day of my online submission of documents, I had an email confirmation that documents were received......because you never received that email conf I would DEF upload them again. As an FYI ....the first time I attached them (and thought I did it right) I realized that I hadn't done it right because I didn't see that ** ATTACH ** button at the bottom of the 'attach file' column .... I had to go back and do it again, once I clicked the ATTACH button then submit form I got a confirmation page, "thank you for contacting TXDPS, your inquiry has been successfully been submitted for a response"
That is the process I used. No, no updates. I finally received an email reply to my inquiry saying there were no attachments to my email. When I submitted on 5/7 there was no option on the pull-down menu for chl documents -- that is new. Although I noted in my inquiry that I had also mailed my documents there was no info offered about that. I then resubmitted my documents and received an email the next day indicating they had received them and to give them six weeks to, I assume, begin processing. By that point I will be nine weeks into the process. The weblink still says they are awaiting receipt of documents. It does not appear I am even in the queue yet.

Nor I and they've had my stuff since 5/12...this is going to be a long wait lol...I already shopped around too and purchased a walther pk380 with a supertuck horsehide crossbreed holster

Selina Kyle

Post by Selina Kyle »

CR88 wrote:I got an other update today. CHL: Mailed!!!
Congrats!!!! :cheers2:

I know I'll be jumping for joy when I see that mine is mailed!
Ruger LCP
NRA Member

CR88
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CR88 »

Just got my plastic today and I couldn't be happier. 11 days from mailbox to mailbox. :txflag:

EnigmaEvo8

Post by EnigmaEvo8 »

CR88 wrote:Just got my plastic today and I couldn't be happier. 11 days from mailbox to mailbox. :txflag:
That is just crazy! Wish I had that luck.
Online Application 4/29/14 Fingerprints 5/5/14
CHL Class 5/31/14 Documents E-Mailed 5/31/14
Documents received confirmation 6/2/14
CHL in hand 7/17/14

Reddog1
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Reddog1 »

Fingerprints : Under review
Proof of Special Condition : Received

All docs submitted online 5/2/14, Finally updated!

Selina Kyle

Post by Selina Kyle »

The DPS received my packet....hope they open it soon!!! :mrgreen:
Ruger LCP
NRA Member

bryan1980
Posts in topic: 15

Post by bryan1980 »

I wasn't going to do it, but I went ahead and called the DPS today. I had to wait about half an hour, but the person helping me was courteous. They said that they had received all of supporting documents, and that the fingerprints were good. I asked why the website hadn't updated, and he said that probably wouldn't happen until mid-July, which bears out what I've seen on here. Hopefully, it'll update the day before I get my plastic!

At least everything's good, just have to wait for it to process now.
5/21/14 - Submitted online app.
5/24/14 - Class
5/27/14 - Submitted CHL-100 & checklist
7/18/14 - Plastic in hand

ferguson
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ferguson »

mailed my paperwork in on 5/12 - everything else was filed in January (I didn't want to submit my paperwork until we moved to the new house so I wouldn't have to go through MORE paperwork for change of address). Web site status still not updated.

called today (6/17) and after 40 minutes on hold was told that currently, it can take up to 2 months for the web site status to update. I hope that means that DPS is just swamped with more applications than they know what to do with.
Don't let the wonder of seeing a pig fly be overshadowed by the inevitable disappointment over the brevity of its flight.

bryan1980
Posts in topic: 15

Post by bryan1980 »

thug_ferguson wrote:mailed my paperwork in on 5/12 - everything else was filed in January (I didn't want to submit my paperwork until we moved to the new house so I wouldn't have to go through MORE paperwork for change of address). Web site status still not updated.

called today (6/17) and after 40 minutes on hold was told that currently, it can take up to 2 months for the web site status to update. I hope that means that DPS is just swamped with more applications than they know what to do with.
Sounds like the exact result I got. Was also told that they're swamped with applications. Which is a good thing, but the 60+ day wait is ridiculous in my opinion. I know the DPS has budget constraints like any other state department, but there's obviously a need for more staff here. Seems like they should make that a priority.
5/21/14 - Submitted online app.
5/24/14 - Class
5/27/14 - Submitted CHL-100 & checklist
7/18/14 - Plastic in hand

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”