"Waiting Room"

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Stratman
Posts in topic: 1

Re: "Waiting Room"

Post by Stratman »

Wife completed fingerprints and mailed all docs Nov 3. Still in "waiting for materials" status. I read another post from someone who said he talked to them on the phone and they said they are swamped. Just guessing but it could be the govt shutdown backed up background checks. Another person still waiting after 58 days. Also Thanksgiving holiday would slow processing.

Jweaver
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jweaver »

Thanks for the welcome. And yes I was ok with it taking a little while for the response because my birthday is in November and I figured the little extra wait would give me a longer time without having to renew but this stinks. I've read that there is a time line on here where you can read when people are getting theirs in compared to when they mailed it all off. Can someone give instructions on this so I can find it without going back through a hundred and twenty pages?

Still waiting 10/12/13-12/25/13

TBJK
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TBJK »

Jweaver wrote:Thanks for the welcome. And yes I was ok with it taking a little while for the response because my birthday is in November and I figured the little extra wait would give me a longer time without having to renew but this stinks. I've read that there is a time line on here where you can read when people are getting theirs in compared to when they mailed it all off. Can someone give instructions on this so I can find it without going back through a hundred and twenty pages?

Still waiting 10/12/13-12/25/13
They appear to be working on the 3rd week of October. I received an update last Thursday but it hasn't changed since. I figured they are out until Friday as the bear minimum if not til after the first of the year. I have come to the conclusion I may receive mine if I'm lucky by the middle of January, which will be close to 90 days for me.

Jweaver

Post by Jweaver »

I guess it is kind of late to ask but I got this address off their contact is page. Is it the same one everyone else mailed to?

Mail Without Payment:
Texas Department of Public Safety
Concealed Handgun - MSC 0245
PO Box 4087
Austin, TX 78773-0001

If I could go back I would send it to the one for "with payment"

johnmbergman
Posts in topic: 5

Post by johnmbergman »

Jweaver wrote:I guess it is kind of late to ask but I got this address off their contact is page. Is it the same one everyone else mailed to?

Mail Without Payment:
PO Box 4087
Austin, TX 78773-0001

This is the correct address to mail in documents, however I would highly recommend that you send the documents in via e-mail as they will be processed more quickly. You can e-mail them using this form:
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (select "Concealed Handgun" from the first drop-down list and "New Application" from the second)

jmra
Posts in topic: 77

Post by jmra »

johnmbergman wrote:
Jweaver wrote:I guess it is kind of late to ask but I got this address off their contact is page. Is it the same one everyone else mailed to?

Mail Without Payment:
PO Box 4087
Austin, TX 78773-0001

This is the correct address to mail in documents, however I would highly recommend that you send the documents in via e-mail as they will be processed more quickly. You can e-mail them using this form:
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (select "Concealed Handgun" from the first drop-down list and "New Application" from the second)
:iagree: My brother and my wife renewed at the same time. Brother mailed his in. I scanned and emailed in my wife's. Wife's timeline was 3 weeks shorter.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Jweaver

Post by Jweaver »

First time application and guess I was excited because I thought after giving the state what was it like $120-140 I might get something to show for it for once other than an increased insurance premium. "rlol" :lol::
I will definitely email next time. Don't guess it will make a difference now if I mailed it in on oct. 12 right? Shouldn't an update appear at least for my finger prints or something if let's say they didn't get my Chl 100?
I mailed my Chl 100 on sat oct. 12 after fingerprinting earlier that week and taking the class that morning. I paid the fees and applied back in February. I only mailed in my Chl 100 and receipt for fingerprints. I didn't have my barcode and could not retrieve it after the first 48hrs. That might also be slowing my process.

johnmbergman
Posts in topic: 5

Post by johnmbergman »

Jweaver wrote:First time application and guess I was excited because I thought after giving the state what was it like $120-140 I might get something to show for it for once other than an increased insurance premium. "rlol" :lol::
I will definitely email next time. Don't guess it will make a difference now if I mailed it in on oct. 12 right? Shouldn't an update appear at least for my finger prints or something if let's say they didn't get my Chl 100?
I mailed my Chl 100 on sat oct. 12 after fingerprinting earlier that week and taking the class that morning. I paid the fees and applied back in February. I only mailed in my Chl 100 and receipt for fingerprints. I didn't have my barcode and could not retrieve it after the first 48hrs. That might also be slowing my process.
Have you tried calling them? It is looking like they are taking close to 90 days now, but I would have called after the 2 month mark. If you get lucky, they may even expedite it for you. I would imagine you will be getting it pretty soon.

Jweaver

Post by Jweaver »

I've tried calling but it's always before work ( have to be there at 3) and haven't ever had luck when waiting for an answer for the better part of an hour. I guess I'll try again Monday.

mark1969
Posts in topic: 8

Post by mark1969 »

I called at 59 days, was told I should be getting an update within a week,,apparently thay person was not giving correct answers.

jmra
Posts in topic: 77

Post by jmra »

You guys are taking a time hit from several different angles.
1. People who cancelled previously scheduled classes so they could take a shorter class after Sep 1.
2. People who delayed renewing until after Sep 1 so they wouldn't have to take a class at all.
3. The huge influx of people who wouldn't take the time to get a CHL before the law changed.
4. A large percentage (almost all) of the instructors had to be renewed before 12/31.
5. 3 major holidays.
With this perfect storm it's just going to take time for DPS to process everything.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

imvirus

Post by imvirus »

mark1969 wrote:I called at 59 days, was told I should be getting an update within a week,,apparently thay person was not giving correct answers.
You'll have to give DPS a buffer of at least 4 weeks now due to the recent Holidays. I'm currently on my 56th day and still waiting. :shock:

mark1969
Posts in topic: 8

Post by mark1969 »

The call was prior to the holidays , Saturday will be 75 days for me.

infoman
Posts in topic: 27

Post by infoman »

They are only entering early to mid October apps right now. You're not doing yourself any favors by calling, except driving up hold times for everyone else. It is what it is & they are super swamped & have been since September. They're also a state agency- it literally takes congress approval to get more workers, they can't just hire more whenever they want. When you increase volume, add holidays, add 20,000 renewals that all waited until Sept. 1, add all the instructor renewals, you can't expect anything but big delays. The more you call & email them the more bogged down you make it for everyone else. Just my 2 cents.

kattzoo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by kattzoo »

infoman wrote:They are only entering early to mid October apps right now. You're not doing yourself any favors by calling, except driving up hold times for everyone else. It is what it is & they are super swamped & have been since September. They're also a state agency- it literally takes congress approval to get more workers, they can't just hire more whenever they want. When you increase volume, add holidays, add 20,000 renewals that all waited until Sept. 1, add all the instructor renewals, you can't expect anything but big delays. The more you call & email them the more bogged down you make it for everyone else. Just my 2 cents.
I don't think they are that organized. Two of the people I took the class with now have their plastic (and I don't). We all three mailed within the first 2 weeks of November. While I think the majority they are working on are still Oct. I know it's not exclusive. The first guy sent his in 3 days before me and had it by Thanksgiving. The second last week, and he sent his a week after mine.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”