So, waiting...

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Arride
Posts in topic: 6

So, waiting...

Post by Arride »

I've been lurking this forum since before I took my class back in October. I submitted my app online and paid the fee in early-mid-October after taking my class. I had to schedule around work, so I got my fingerprinting done on 11/04/12 and sent my packet in on 11/07/12. It updated to "Background Check : Under review" on 11/20/12. I've been just putting around since then, hoping I can get my plastic by Christmas. I want to start a new career, selling real estate here in Texas, but I refuse to start doing that and a few other things I've been putting off until I have my CHL in hand so I can carry to protect myself if need be. Right now I car carry and I'm in my car most of the time for work, so I'm comfortable for now and I'm used to having a firearm within arm's reach most, if not all of the day, every day.

I plan on carrying my Kel-Tec P-11 9mm with it's belt clip IWB or my RIA 1911 CS .45 in a supertuck holster. I've been practicing as I can and I'll be very pleased once I get the plastic, do my "wally walk" and move on until the renewal is required.

RedEagle
Posts in topic: 1

Re: So, waiting...

Post by RedEagle »

Welcome. :txflag:

Topic author
Arride

Post by Arride »

Alright. Well, I got a letter in the mail stating that a medical advisory board would be convening. I'd been misdiagnosed by a hack, rediagnosed by a good doc, treated with therapy and the proper procedures for it and then let go by my doctor about 6 years ago. Since then I've married, been working and been very stable and I was never a harm to myself and others. I sent in a plea via their e-mail form, requesting information for how to start an appeal and asking what I'd need to do to take care of it. Apparently it sorted itself out. As you can see, I put my app and the packet in back in November. It's been almost 3 full months and will be about 3 full months by the time I assume I'll get my license in the mail.

Wait it out, they'll eventually tell you what's up and what you need to do. Don't bug them before 60 days are up and give them a week or so to respond to each communication. Don't freak out at 70 days or even 90 days, just let it go. I did get a bit miffed and was resentful and had to talk it over with friends to realize that it's a great thing that the procedure is in place to prevent people who shouldn't be touching a firearm, much less carrying one.

Today, checking it on a whim ( 2/08/2013) I got my update to:
Background Check : Completed
Concealed Handgun License : Manufacturing Pending

If all goes well, I should see my license on or around the 15th. =)

So, to those who have had medical (psychological) issues in the past and gotten past them, don't give up. I'm not going to go into my diagnosis because I don't like reliving what caused it and the fact that it was somewhat hard to go through. From what I've read of others' experiences, if they decline you or need more information, take your supportive family or SO with you to a doctor and talk it out, tell them you're there to get that letter of recommendation stating that you won't be relapsing or be screwed up in any foreseeable future. I personally didn't have to appeal it apparently, for which I'm thankful but I haven't seen a doctor in years either. To those that are considering changing their lives so they can go after their CHL in 5 years or so, my advice is get away from your family and friends for awhile and see if that allows you to see things more clearly. Do this while building up money and a life as many people who've had issues end up having money problems. Then go live your life to it's fullest and best, then seek approval and a letter from your doctor or a doctor you hear is good.

P.S. Checking it every day fulfills something inside ya, do it if you want but it won't speed up the process haha.

Topic author
Arride

Post by Arride »

2/10/2013 Update:

Concealed Handgun License : Manufacturing

Topic author
Arride

Post by Arride »

2/13/2013 Status Change: Concealed Handgun License : Mailed

DJM

Post by DJM »

Looks like we are on the same page. xD
With all this "gun control" talk,
I haven't heard one politician say how they plan to take gun from criminals,
just law abiding citizens.

brett3858
Posts in topic: 2

Post by brett3858 »

DJM wrote:Looks like we are on the same page. xD
Make that 3 of us, mailed 2/13!

empreme

Post by empreme »

brett3858 wrote:
DJM wrote:Looks like we are on the same page. xD
Make that 3 of us, mailed 2/13!

4!
03JAN13 - Mailbox
16FEB13 - Mailbox
44 Days
"You always hear 'if you can't beat them, join them'. I say, 'if you can't beat them, beat them, because they are expecting you to join them. You'll have the element of surprise."

Topic author
Arride

Post by Arride »

I did a bit of research and those that've had "Mailed" updates early during the week like us usually get it before the week is out because the postmark is then, while those who get the update during the weekend usually have a next-week postmark and receive it later. The soonest I've read that it's received is 2 days, most of the time it's 3-7 days. Here's hoping for 2 to 3 for us and we have it before the weekend ends. I'm sure we'll all see our licenses in our mailboxes before next Wednesday. Which, after all the time I've invested into keeping track of it all and thinking about I'm sure will be a weight lifted from all of our minds and more peace of mind for us all as well because we'll be able to carry, finally.

I need to pick up a .22 WMR NAA mini-revolver for those situations I can't carry my Kel Tec P-11. I ended up selling my RIA 1911 CS 3.5" but I'm going to buy another one of those in the future. I loved that gun.

With this semiautomatic carbines and rifles ban stuff in the air, I think I might buy a few of those new polymer complete lower receivers from New Frontier Armory. Around $160 for each I think, I'm planning on buying 2, then 3-4 more to keep around in case I want to build a project AR. After that I'll get another 1911 and check out what Springfield Armory has to offer.

Topic author
Arride

Post by Arride »

2/19 Plastic in hand finally! That mail holiday yesterday was annoying.

brett3858

Post by brett3858 »

Arride wrote:2/19 Plastic in hand finally! That mail holiday yesterday was annoying.
Got that right, it's nice to finally have it in hand!

Beckster

Post by Beckster »

[quote="Arride"]Alright. Well, I got a letter in the mail stating that a medical advisory board would be convening. I'd been misdiagnosed by a hack, rediagnosed by a good doc, treated with therapy and the proper procedures for it and then let go by my doctor about 6 years ago. Since then I've married, been working and been very stable and I was never a harm to myself and others. I sent in a plea via their e-mail form, requesting information for how to start an appeal and asking what I'd need to do to take care of it. Apparently it sorted itself out. As you can see, I put my app and the packet in back in November. It's been almost 3 full months and will be about 3 full months by the time I assume I'll get my license in the mail.

Your post was encouraging to me. I got the MAB letter a week ago. I figured it was coming, though, as I did have an issue from 13 years ago which I "self reported." Mine never involved a doctor's care, but my family doctor of 9 years wrote a letter. saying he was aware of my past status and that he saw no indication of relapse, etc, actually quite a glowing letter saying that I was an upstanding productive member of society :cool:

At any rate, I am hoping that this helps the process progress a little quicker.

Beckster

Post by Beckster »

It's here! 95 days, mailbox to mailbox, which I don't think is so bad considering I had some extra paper work to send in. :woohoo

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

Congrats Beckster:
Im glad they didnt hold that mess against you. But by being honest you wont have any future problems

Carry Always, Carry Safe, & Carry on......... "rlol"
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

Gunner4640

Post by Gunner4640 »

Arride wrote:2/19 Plastic in hand finally! That mail holiday yesterday was annoying.
Congrats, welcome to the forum etc.. That was a rough ride glad you got it all taken care of and welcome armed citizen. :fire
There are lots of good people on here, Pecos being one of them. :txflag:
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”