6 weeks mailed and still "awaiting receipt..."

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dieharddano24
Posts in topic: 18

6 weeks mailed and still "awaiting receipt..."

Post by dieharddano24 »

I sent my completed application and sent in my materials to DPS on 2/5/13. Fingerprints were taken in Kingwood, TX on 2/3.

6 weeks later and the DPS site shows the same ol "awaiting required materials". WTH is going on? I've read a lot of "status update" posts and no one appears to have been waiting as long as I have to see ANY change whatsoever. I thought this might be an isolated incident, by my wife did the exact same thing and hers shows no update either. The only common denominator here appears to be the fingerprinting location. On Monday, I'm going to call the dreaded CHL help line (or whatever it's called) and inquire. Something isn't right here.

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 6 weeks mailed and still "awaiting receipt..."

Post by jmra »

Let us know the results after your Monday call.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

mlsa
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mlsa »

dieharddano24 wrote:I sent my completed application and sent in my materials to DPS on 2/5/13. Fingerprints were taken in Kingwood, TX on 2/3.

6 weeks later and the DPS site shows the same ol "awaiting required materials". WTH is going on? I've read a lot of "status update" posts and no one appears to have been waiting as long as I have to see ANY change whatsoever. I thought this might be an isolated incident, by my wife did the exact same thing and hers shows no update either. The only common denominator here appears to be the fingerprinting location. On Monday, I'm going to call the dreaded CHL help line (or whatever it's called) and inquire. Something isn't right here.
Mine took 3 weeks before it showed received...I sent them an email which they replied to 3 weeks later....now I"ve been in Background Review for 5 weeks...called them Thursday...total waste of time....they just give you the same info you find on the website and tell you to wait another 2 weeks.

Good luck with yours.

David

jaybeau
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jaybeau »

I don't think it's the fingerprint location. I did mine in North Texas and I'm on the exact same timeline as you. This is absolutely ridiculous that there isn't more oversight at this place especially considering the amount of money that hard working Texans are giving to the DPS. First thing Monday I'm writing to my State representative regarding the numerous delay issues at DPS. Then I'll call the Representatives office. After that I'll call DPS. I suggest that anyone on this timeline and hasn't heard from the DPS do the same thing.

paustin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by paustin »

I had my fingerprints taken AT DPS in Austin. Sent in the next day all paperwork--bingo bango, 5 weeks later plastic arrived.

I would recommend anyone who needs to be fingerprinted do it at a DPS office (if it's a choice in your selection list of places). :patriot:
______
Sig Sauer 226, 229
Glock 27
Beretta Nano

paustin

Post by paustin »

jaybeau wrote:I don't think it's the fingerprint location. I did mine in North Texas and I'm on the exact same timeline as you. This is absolutely ridiculous that there isn't more oversight at this place especially considering the amount of money that hard working Texans are giving to the DPS. First thing Monday I'm writing to my State representative regarding the numerous delay issues at DPS. Then I'll call the Representatives office. After that I'll call DPS. I suggest that anyone on this timeline and hasn't heard from the DPS do the same thing.
Couple of things:

1) They are completely overwhelmed with applications right now, and actually I think (taking 5 weeks door to door for mine) are doing a good job.
2) They have to wait for FBI (NOT DPS) to complete fingerprint and background--again they received more applications than ever before over the past 6 months. It's completely out of DPS hands.
3) It's a government agency--name one that is fast :mrgreen:

Hey I know it's frustrating, but DPS cannot control time frames when they are waiting on the Feds. IF anything call your president and complain that the Feds are slow--oh never mind, there is a sequestration going on :rolll

Hang in there... :txflag:
______
Sig Sauer 226, 229
Glock 27
Beretta Nano

Topic author
dieharddano24

Post by dieharddano24 »

jaybeau wrote:I don't think it's the fingerprint location. I did mine in North Texas and I'm on the exact same timeline as you. This is absolutely ridiculous that there isn't more oversight at this place especially considering the amount of money that hard working Texans are giving to the DPS. First thing Monday I'm writing to my State representative regarding the numerous delay issues at DPS. Then I'll call the Representatives office. After that I'll call DPS. I suggest that anyone on this timeline and hasn't heard from the DPS do the same thing.
So If I'm understanding you correctly, you have been waiting somewhere in the range of 6 weeks for the DPS site to show anything beyond "Application received - awaiting materials"? I'd be reluctantly pleased to hear that, if so. Pleased because it means my (and my wife's) fingerprints were actually sent to DPS 6 weeks ago and aren't sitting in Kingwood (I know they are done electronically, figure of speech), but "reluctant" because it still means that DPS-CHL is clearly dropping the ball on this issue.

"Busy" is one thing and I am GLAD they are busy - but 6 weeks? That's ridiculous. The least you can do is let us know that you got all of our stuff and are "working on it". Stay safe, everybody.

USMC 00-08

Topic author
dieharddano24

Post by dieharddano24 »

Couple of things:

1) They are completely overwhelmed with applications right now, and actually I think (taking 5 weeks door to door for mine) are doing a good job.
2) They have to wait for FBI (NOT DPS) to complete fingerprint and background--again they received more applications than ever before over the past 6 months. It's completely out of DPS hands.

Hey I know it's frustrating, but DPS cannot control time frames when they are waiting on the Feds. IF anything call your president and complain that the Feds are slow--oh never mind, there is a sequestration going on :rolll

I think you are misunderstanding. This has nothing to do with the FBI, the background check, or any of the latter processes. What I was inquiring about was a simple acknowledgement that they received my materials and are "working on it". I don't even care how long "working on it" (all the actual processes, BGC, manufac. etc.) takes, I just think it's completely ludicrous that they still show that they are "waiting to receive" my stuff - I sent it 6 weeks ago. My post was an attempt to see if anyone else has waited 6 weeks for the initial receipt/status change.

paustin

Post by paustin »

dieharddano24 wrote:
Couple of things:

I think you are misunderstanding. This has nothing to do with the FBI, the background check, or any of the latter processes. What I was inquiring about was a simple acknowledgement that they received my materials and are "working on it". I don't even care how long "working on it" (all the actual processes, BGC, manufac. etc.) takes, I just think it's completely ludicrous that they still show that they are "waiting to receive" my stuff - I sent it 6 weeks ago. My post was an attempt to see if anyone else has waited 6 weeks for the initial receipt/status change.
Gotcha...what I read was:

This is absolutely ridiculous that there isn't more oversight at this place especially considering the amount of money that hard working Texans are giving to the DPS.
What oversight is needed? Get back to CHL applicants faster? Trust me, that is NOT their primary concern at DPS. It's protecting you and Texas highways.

First thing Monday I'm writing to my State representative regarding the numerous delay issues at DPS.
When you say numerous--can you expand on that?

Then I'll call the Representatives office. After that I'll call DPS.
Answer: They won't care and they won't care. But hey go for it.

My point being your question should have just asked "has anyone waiting 6 weeks for processing?"

I would call them and ask NICELY if they have received your paperwork--simple. Maybe, just maybe, there was an error on your behalf in filling it out.

Hope you resolve it soon--just would suggest being SUPER nice to DPS people when you call, otherwise it might go to bottom of stack :patriot:
______
Sig Sauer 226, 229
Glock 27
Beretta Nano

strider67

Post by strider67 »

dieharddano24 wrote: The least you can do is let us know that you got all of our stuff and are "working on it". Stay safe, everybody.
USMC 00-08
Hey dano,
I certainly understand y'all's frustration. I would feel the same way. If it was just 1 app, there could have been a lost letter, form stuck under a donut box, etc...but with both of you waiting, I would suspect they might tell you they are waiting on prints. (Even though prints are taken electronically, doesn't someone still need to push the send button?) I wonder if you can simply call your print location first and see if they keep records (date, time, etc...) of sent-off prints. Just my guess, but am interested on their reply...
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

strider67

Post by strider67 »

Or maybe it is just taking them this long. See this new post who just got their first update... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=64240&p=788012#p788012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Either way, good luck! :tiphat:
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

jaybeau
Banned

Post by jaybeau »

paustin wrote: Couple of things:

Not sure what this has to do with just acknowledging receipt of it. Certified mail has them receiving packet on 2/8. Fingerprints were completed on 1/31. Still awaiting receipt of materials on website. This has nothing to do with the Feds at this point.

Topic author
dieharddano24

Post by dieharddano24 »

paustin wrote:
dieharddano24 wrote:
Couple of things:

Gotcha...what I read was:

This is absolutely ridiculous that there isn't more oversight at this place especially considering the amount of money that hard working Texans are giving to the DPS.
What oversight is needed? Get back to CHL applicants faster? Trust me, that is NOT their primary concern at DPS. It's protecting you and Texas highways.

First thing Monday I'm writing to my State representative regarding the numerous delay issues at DPS.
When you say numerous--can you expand on that?

Then I'll call the Representatives office. After that I'll call DPS.
Answer: They won't care and they won't care. But hey go for it.

My point being your question should have just asked "has anyone waiting 6 weeks for processing?"

I would call them and ask NICELY if they have received your paperwork--simple. Maybe, just maybe, there was an error on your behalf in filling it out.

Hope you resolve it soon--just would suggest being SUPER nice to DPS people when you call, otherwise it might go to bottom of stack :patriot:
Agreed. None of ^^ that has anything to do with showing receipt of materials. You should pay attention. As far as your "point" that I "should have just asked ...." - that isn't a point at all because you didn't point out anything, except maybe the fact that you have trouble understanding paragraphs with more than one sentence in them. I don't see anyone else asking for clarification of the original post - pretty simple English up there.

Furthermore, you keep quoting something that I (the original poster) didn't say - someone else made those statements. See the author.

Topic author
dieharddano24

Post by dieharddano24 »

Not sure what this has to do with just acknowledging receipt of it. Certified mail has them receiving packet on 2/8. Fingerprints were completed on 1/31. Still awaiting receipt of materials on website. This has nothing to do with the Feds at this point.
Jaybeau - thanks for the information. I hate to say that I'm "glad to see" someone else experiencing this ridiculous delay, but at least now I know that it literally is taking the DPS 6+ weeks to show ANY activity relative to processing CHL apps on their website. You and I are in the same boat man. I'll update the thread with any changes.

IlliniBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by IlliniBill »

Same issue here. Both wife and myself sent our first week in February. Still says they are waiting on materials.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”