Priority Mail

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
fish
Posts in topic: 4

Priority Mail

Post by fish »

I did not request/send my paperwork in using priority mail or receipt request back to me. Was this a mistake? I, like many others, check multiple times a day a looking for an update but none so far.
Ecc 5:19 Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work-this is a gift of God.

OldGrumpy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Priority Mail

Post by OldGrumpy »

It took my application about two weeks to show up in their system. Then another 3 1/2 weeks to complete the process and get the CHL. The bad thing is no matter how often you check you will not speed up their process. Good thing is there is nothing to prohibit you checking status daily or even more often. Overall I think DPS has done a great job of processing such a huge workload.
Love God, Family, USA, and Texas
Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God - Micah 6:8

Topic author
fish

Post by fish »

Thanks. It's been a couple of weeks since I sent my paperwork in but I have no idea if they (DPS) received it or not.
Ecc 5:19 Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work-this is a gift of God.

Citizen

Post by Citizen »

As Oldgrumpy stated, don't expect to see an update on the website for at least 2 weeks from the date you think they received it. Mine actually took 3 weeks before it showed up on the website. So if you recently submitted it, I wouldn't waste your time (and increase frustration level) checking the website until at least 2 weeks have passed. Also the BG check may take 2-3 weeks. Mailbox to mailbox is looking to be about 7 weeks.

Lastly, If you send an email to their customer service, don't expect a response for at least a week.

Good luck !

Here is my timeline:
27 Dec 2012: Online app
29 Dec 2012: Completed CHL Course
02 Jan 2013: Fingerprints Taken
02 Jan 2013: Mailed packet
04 Jan 2013: Packet delivered to DPS
25 Jan 2013: First indication on DPS website that they received packet
25 Jan 2013: Background Under Review
13 Feb 2013: Background complete
13 Feb 2013: Manufacturing pending
16 Feb 2013: Manufacturing complete
16 Feb 2013: Mailed (I presume that I will receive it around 2/21)

Wodathunkit

Post by Wodathunkit »

fish wrote:I did not request/send my paperwork in using priority mail or receipt request back to me. Was this a mistake? I, like many others, check multiple times a day a looking for an update but none so far.
Don't worry about your mail preference. Give it a good 3 weeks before you begin to panic, then wait two more weeks. :mrgreen:
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

Topic author
fish

Post by fish »

Thanks for all the info. I will just take a deep seat and a far away look and wait this out.

TREKFAN

Post by TREKFAN »

fish wrote:Thanks for all the info. I will just take a deep seat and a far away look and wait this out.
Fyi also, all of my statuses changed on Saturday morning for app received then 15 days later on Saturday again to b.g. complete. It seems that is when they update. At least for me. :tiphat:
Application, Fingerprints & CHL class done by 1-12-13
All documents mailed USPS 1-16-13
All Documents Received, background check under review 2-1-13
Background check complete 2/15

eddieconcarne

Post by eddieconcarne »

I remember when I got my CHL that I sent mine in Priority, and so I knew the exact date it was delivered. And it would make me nuts when I would see others here in the waiting room who sent their items either after me, or at the same time via regular mail, get updates before I did. Priority Mail doesn't matter at all. Within Texas, it isn't even handled differently than First Class, it is just First Class over 13 ounces with Delivery Confirmation as an option (also an option on First Class if you make the envelope 3/4 inch thick by putting a foam peanut inside, but they never tell you that because they want to sell "Priority" Mail, which has no Priority at all).

Richard_B
Banned

Post by Richard_B »

I sent mine in Priority Mail, Certified, Return Receipt Requested just to be able to prove DPS got it in case it comes to that. It was not until two days after it was in Austin that it was delivered (I kept copies of everything). I don't know if USPS was that slow or if DPS doesn't pick up the mail on a daily basis. The weird part was it was signed for just before 8 PM.

I appreciate the comment about the length of time it takes for DPS to enter it into the system as received as I have been wondering. Two weeks seems to be a long time just to enter it in the system as "received", but it is what it is.

USPS service seems to be getting poorer these days. I sent another item Priority Mail to Florida and the system not only does not track it as claimed, but the website is now giving messages that amount to "disavowing all knowledge...." When I called their phone system was as bad or worse. I gave up and called the recipient to see if it had gotten there.

I wish DPS would give a street address so that you could FedEX it.

[Edit] P.S. I did some other reading and found posts going back several years on other websites regarding the 30 day period DPS has to assign the application (background check) to a "Designee" (worker) before the 60 day clock starts. Some of the posts intimated that DPS was working the system so that they would be able to meet the 60 processing time by delaying assigning the application to a "Designee" (worker). Apparently, the online status is only changed when the application is assigned to a "Designee" (worker). There were a few brief comments about a bill pending in a prior legislature for the 30 day period to be removed. Has anyone heard anything about such a proposal before the current legislature?

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

Sent mine in on 8 Jan. No receipt status for several days so I called DPS. Guy there said not to expect the first status change for 3 weeks (I got a mental picture of my envelope sitting in a box in Austin waiting to be assigned to someone).

Process went pretty quick after status changed to under review. Got my CHL on 14 Feb.
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

jmra

Post by jmra »

Much quicker updates if you send in the docs electronically.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
fish

Post by fish »

On line app Dec 12
Finger print Dec 12
Class Feb 2, 2013
Mailed Feb 4, 2013
DPS updated web page today (Sunday) Feb. 24, 2013.

:anamatedbanana

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”