Hope for those out there, DPS processed quickly

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mikepjones
Posts in topic: 2

Hope for those out there, DPS processed quickly

Post by mikepjones »

Hey everyone. I normally don't post on forums, although i did a fair amount of reading while i was waiting for my app to be processed. I just wanted to provide my process story so that those out there hear both the good as well as the bad.

I submitted my application online on July 13, 2012. I went in for my FAST fingerprinting on July 25, 2012 and took my CHL class on July 28, 2012 at the Memorial Shooting Center here in Houston, Texas. After that, my application was complete and I mailed everything via certified mail, return receipt requested, on July 30, 2012. The DPS received it on August 1, 2012.

My status did not change at that point for nearly two weeks. However, on August 10, 2012, my application went to "received" and "background: under review." Less than a week later, on August 17, 2012, my status changed to background check complete manufacturing pending. Yesterday, August 20, 2012, it changed to "mailed." Unless the post office loses it, i should get it today or tomorrow, so just slightly over three full weeks door-to-door. I was very pleased with this turn around period.

I have been an Arizona ccw holder for 9 years so I wasn't going crazy waiting or anything like that, since i can carry legally with my Arizona permit.

hopefully everyone else who recently submitted an app gets a fast turn around time too. good luck!

Geaux_loaded
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Hope for those out there, DPS processed quickly

Post by Geaux_loaded »

Mike, just so you know it took mine about a week from when it listed as mailed until it was in my mailbox, received yesterday. The good news is I now know my letter carrier by name!

RIG78

Post by RIG78 »

Wow... so do you think already possessing one from another state helps the process?

Going on two weeks (tomorrow) since packet confirmed delivered. Status shows online app processed. I read a thread here on yesterday about someone calling the office. I called while on lunch break, and the guy told me it takes a total of 60 days start to finish. He checked my DL, and said I wasn't even in their system yet. He asked when did I mail the packet in, and I said USPS confirmed delivery on August 9th. He immediately responded by saying, "Oh, that's too soon for an update this quick!"

So, I guess I'll be waiting longer than others... :grumble

GunNewb

Post by GunNewb »

@RIG

My package was delivered to the DPS on the 8th. My status just updated today!

Yours will most likely be updated tomorrow. Check in the morning @ about 7:00.
07/27/12 - Completed Online Application
08/03/12 - Fingerprints submitted
08/04/12 - CHL course
08/06/12 - Packet Mailed to DPS
08/08/12 - DPS Recieved Packet
08/24/12 - BG Comp/Manufacturing Pending
08/25/12 - Manufacturing
08/29/12 - Mailed
09/04/12 - Plastic

Texas_Tee

Post by Texas_Tee »

RIG78 wrote:Wow... so do you think already possessing one from another state helps the process?

Going on two weeks (tomorrow) since packet confirmed delivered. Status shows online app processed. I read a thread here on yesterday about someone calling the office. I called while on lunch break, and the guy told me it takes a total of 60 days start to finish. He checked my DL, and said I wasn't even in their system yet. He asked when did I mail the packet in, and I said USPS confirmed delivery on August 9th. He immediately responded by saying, "Oh, that's too soon for an update this quick!"

So, I guess I'll be waiting longer than others... :grumble
"rlol" i called them and they told me i should be getting it about 47 days (13 days since sent) and the next day it was updated to background ck review. so far turn around time is about 30 days..

JAGER77

Post by JAGER77 »

I'm still waiting too. I'm convinced it's lost in the mail. I didn't do certified. Tomorrow I'm hoping, or I will call back on the 27th if I still don't have it. I think they're messing with me now.

glockstero
Banned

Post by glockstero »

Fear not, it was 14 days from DPS signing for my docs before the website updated. Me thinks more activity is going on than the website reflects.

Topic author
mikepjones

Post by mikepjones »

Chl came today. So 5 days after status changed to "mailed".

RIG78

Post by RIG78 »

Texas_Tee wrote:"rlol" i called them and they told me i should be getting it about 47 days (13 days since sent) and the next day it was updated to background ck review. so far turn around time is about 30 days..
Yup... clearly they're reading scripted text. 60 days is their standard answer. I guess they set expectations low so you'd be surprised at how "quick" the process takes. :cool:

Texas_Tee

Post by Texas_Tee »

RIG78 wrote:
Texas_Tee wrote:"rlol" i called them and they told me i should be getting it about 47 days (13 days since sent) and the next day it was updated to background ck review. so far turn around time is about 30 days..
Yup... clearly they're reading scripted text. 60 days is their standard answer. I guess they set expectations low so you'd be surprised at how "quick" the process takes. :cool:
"rlol" :rolll :lol::

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”