Applied last night

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Transplant
Posts in topic: 2

Applied last night

Post by Transplant »

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the forum and just completed my application online last night. I took the class Saturday, but still have to mail in my photos, DD214, and the other stuff. I'm looking forward to getting my license!

Cant wait to walk into a gun show and out with a new carry gun! I've got an XD9 subcompact now, but want something smaller that I can carry in the pocket of my dockers.

So what do you all do while passing the time between applying, and receiving your license? I've been reading up on holsters for my XD (cant believe the prices!) and trying to decide if a .380 is really enough gun or if I can conceal a Kel Tec PF9 in my pocket.

GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Applied last night

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Welcome, while you wait for all the approvals and for the plastic to come, browse around and you'll find a lot of info on what your asking.

Personally, my compact or full size 9mm M&P is as small as I will ever carry.
NRA Life Member

CaseyH

Post by CaseyH »

I'm still waiting on my license too. While I wait, I've been trying out holsters for all of my guns... and I bought a new gun (Ruger LC9.) Fortunately, everything's getting done quickly. You can see in my info below - it only took about 2 weeks from the time I mailed my packet to the time my license was marked as "mailed."
:tiphat:

9/26/11 - Packet Mailed
9/28/11 - Packet Received in Austin
10/15/11 - CHL in hand

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

If holster IWB prices are an issue, start with a Desantis Tuck This 2 (that's what I've used for years for the XD45 or Glock 26 I carry daily) or a Kholster, and later buy a more expensive one ... then you'll have a useable spare too ... just don't buy IWB holsters with a clip that you can not adjust the CANT/angle ... they'll end up in holster drawers unused. However, you need a good gun belt for the Desantis IMHO (I like Com-Tac, but any STIFF gun belt should work)

PF9 is a bit lengthy for my cargo shorts pockets, I'm going Winter pants shopping soon.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

boba

Post by boba »

Transplant wrote:So what do you all do while passing the time between applying, and receiving your license?
Carry at home and other places you don't need a license. Break in your carry gear like you would break in a new pair of boots. It also lets you figure out what changes (if any) you need to make to your wardrobe.

Here's hoping you get your plastic before Thanksgiving. :cheers2:

wacolivin

Post by wacolivin »

Welcome. I believe my ruger lcp will be easy to carry and I really like it w the crimson trace on it. Some folks say that is not enough gun but I like it. Just bought an iwb holster from bear creek - waiting for it to come in. They have great service so far and they answered all my questions. Best of all you are buying in Texas. Enjoy the wait, kinda funny if you think about how we all react to the anticipation of receiving the plastic. I get excited seeing the mail man right now!
CHL since 10/14/11

k5uy

Post by k5uy »

09/15/2011 mailed stuff

Application : Received
Fingerprints : Complete
Affidavits : Received
DL or ID : Valid
Citizenship : No documentation required
Passport photo holder : Received
Photo : Received
Proof of Classroom training : Received
Proof of Proficiency training : Received
Fee : Received
Background Check : Completed
Manufacturing Pending 10/12
Concealed Handgun License : Manufacturing 10/13

AS it looks to me the DPS is getting faster each month
20 working days so as of 10/13

K5UY :clapping: :fire

kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

Transplant wrote: Cant wait to walk into a gun show and out with a new carry gun! I've got an XD9 subcompact now, but want something smaller that I can carry in the pocket of my dockers.
Is it ok to carry at a gun show? I am trying to remember if they post 30.06 signs or just signs saying no loaded weapons allowed. This may be a question for another forum but it came to mind since you mentioned it.

It doesn't seem to be taking a long time to process applications. Mine took 49 days from application to receiving in the mail and that seems to be longer than most. I did have some issues with my application at the beginning. They had to make a request to their IT dept. to retrieve the data.

noosh9057

Post by noosh9057 »

Welcome

Roger
CHL Class 09//28/11
Fingerprints 10/04/11
Mailed 10/04/11
Received. 10/06/11
Background Check : Under review 10/15/11
Background Check : Completed 10/18/11
Manufacturing Pending 10/18/11
Manufacturing 10/19/11
Mailed 10/25/11
PLASTIC 10/28/11
Glock 17 9mm

AEA

Post by AEA »

kingsbrew wrote:
Transplant wrote: Cant wait to walk into a gun show and out with a new carry gun! I've got an XD9 subcompact now, but want something smaller that I can carry in the pocket of my dockers.
Is it ok to carry at a gun show? I am trying to remember if they post 30.06 signs or just signs saying no loaded weapons allowed. This may be a question for another forum but it came to mind since you mentioned it.
I think he meant walking in WITHOUT a gun and coming out WITH one.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

kingsbrew

Post by kingsbrew »

AEA, thought about that but wasn't sure. Didn't want to hijack the thread but it raised a question.

Newbie myself. Gonna go for my Wally Walk. :hurry:

Leroy

Topic author
Transplant

Post by Transplant »

Well, I got my license in the mail yesterday! I cant believe how fast the process was. So I did my application online on the 11th and received the license on the 4th. 23 days! I'm amazed. It actually got here before my holster did, so even though I've got the license I cant really carry until I get my holster.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”