March 2011 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

stealthfightrf17
Posts in topic: 3

Re: March 2011 Applications

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

2. Once I submit my application, when should I expect to receive my license?

The Department will make every effort to issue your license within 60 days of receiving the completed application packet, or inform you that you did not meet the eligibility criteria. Once your application is complete, processing may take up to 180 days if your background check reveals potentially disqualifying events or information.

This is straight out of the FAQ from the CHL, however it won't hurt to call after 60 days

9mmLover
Posts in topic: 9

Post by 9mmLover »

thanks stealth.

my chl instructor gave the same exact advice. will be calling them the week of the 19th (60 day mark)

my stupid shennanigans during my undergrad years- i was in a pretty crazy frat) are finally comming back to bite me in the ass.

a2rbnud
Posts in topic: 6

Post by a2rbnud »

Not bent at all Mr. Johnson, and yes, I read your original addendum. I think it's important for people to know that waiting on a bureaucrat is not very productive. I'd email my priest if I thought he would intervene. I'd suggest to anyone to start calling (and emailing) at 60 days past registered delivery of materials. Thanks for your comment.

Sheepdawg
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Sheepdawg »

58 days from date received to "Mailed" status.

johnson0317
Posts in topic: 23

Post by johnson0317 »

Checked the site a few minutes ago and it has gone from Background Pending to Manufacture Pending! :clapping:

Application : Received
Fingerprints : Complete
Affidavits : Received
DL or ID : Valid
Citizenship : No documentation required
Passport photo holder : Received
Photo : Received
Proof of Classroom training : Received
Proof of Proficiency training : Received
Fee : Received
Background Check : Completed
Concealed Handgun License : Manufacturing Pending

RJ

Class 3/26
Mailed 3/28
First Update 4/27
Manufacture Pending 5/10
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

a2rbnud

Post by a2rbnud »

Registered mail materials: 2/19
Fingerprints accepted: 3/11
Still stuck in "waiting background check"
Total time: 80 days

No known legal or regulatory issues
3 emails (received useless auto replys)
4 phone calls (uh, same result as emails)

I called that wonderfully informative DPS customer service line again today. The polite customer service rep checked my application online, remarked at how overdue it was, and offered to, "walk down" and check with the person assigned to my application to, "find out" what the issue is, because, "everything seems to be complete and in order with your application". After being on hold, the CSR returned to inform me that the person handling my application has been on vacation, "and way, way behind in applications", and, "they'll try to get to it in the next week or so".
"Please call back in 10 days if you haven't received your license".

Ouch...again.

While DPS customer service is short on answers, I still suggest that everyone call and inquire as to your staus after 60 days. The CSR's can access your application and tell if a request has been made for additional materials from you.

Hopefully, I'll learn how I landed in bureaucratic purgatory, so that I may pass along any insight on how to avoid it.
For now, It appears to me that it is just plain luck as to whether you get your CHL in 50 days or 120 days.:banghead:

BlendedWhiskey

Post by BlendedWhiskey »

a2rbnud wrote:Registered mail materials: 2/19
Fingerprints accepted: 3/11
Still stuck in "waiting background check"
Total time: 80 days

No known legal or regulatory issues
3 emails (received useless auto replys)
4 phone calls (uh, same result as emails)

I called that wonderfully informative DPS customer service line again today. The polite customer service rep checked my application online, remarked at how overdue it was, and offered to, "walk down" and check with the person assigned to my application to, "find out" what the issue is, because, "everything seems to be complete and in order with your application". After being on hold, the CSR returned to inform me that the person handling my application has been on vacation, "and way, way behind in applications", and, "they'll try to get to it in the next week or so".
"Please call back in 10 days if you haven't received your license".

Ouch...again.

While DPS customer service is short on answers, I still suggest that everyone call and inquire as to your staus after 60 days. The CSR's can access your application and tell if a request has been made for additional materials from you.

Hopefully, I'll learn how I landed in bureaucratic purgatory, so that I may pass along any insight on how to avoid it.
For now, It appears to me that it is just plain luck as to whether you get your CHL in 50 days or 120 days.:banghead:
:iagree:
Well for those in the same boat, I have been lurking for 18 months, maybe longer and read this post today. My timline is similiar (class 3/06 and "pending background check" since 3/29'ish). I sent an email 10 days ago and called 5 days ago, no response! Today I thought, what the heck I might as well try again since over 60 days. Sure enough, left a VM for the rep working my file and got a return call in less than 10 minutes with "your application is complete and going to print, sorry for the delay". Everyone has had different experiences, but things I assume are:

Call BEFORE 60 days = wait longer
Be short, informative "have been in BG check for almost 6 weeks" and most important NICE! = Receptive

This process reminded me of being in boot camp all over again, double-time everyplace you go, only to wait in a long line. Now the wait is just about over and only one more thing to say!!

:woohoo
Project One Million: Texas - Get Involved!
In stressful situations we do not rise to the occasion, we fall to our level of training.
Your mind is the weapon -- the gun is only a tool!

BlendedWhiskey

Post by BlendedWhiskey »

Also, my rep was very nice and even exchanged some small chit-chat while she finished things up. I remarked "thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly, I have no doubt you are very busy". She quickly responded (and even a slight chuckle) "no problem, we have been extremely busy it seems like applications have gone through the roof recently". Which obviously leads me to believe what others have said, some people will get their license in record time, while others while get caught in the madness of CHL'ers coming through the door in record numbers.

Some days I was like most and anxious about seeing my status change, although who can't love this state. While you can't carry concealed until you have plastic, you can still travel with your weapon in your vehicle. That in itself, made the wait easier.

TEXAS rocks! :txflag:
Project One Million: Texas - Get Involved!
In stressful situations we do not rise to the occasion, we fall to our level of training.
Your mind is the weapon -- the gun is only a tool!

a2rbnud

Post by a2rbnud »

BlendedWhiskey wrote:Some days I was like most and anxious about seeing my status change, although who can't love this state. While you can't carry concealed until you have plastic, you can still travel with your weapon in your vehicle. That in itself, made the wait easier. TEXAS rocks!
Well said, sir. I agree with your comments on remaining respectful to the DPS reps. Getting nasty won't help a thing.

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

5/11 - Manufacturing!

Almost there.
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

texascoastalfish
Posts in topic: 1

Post by texascoastalfish »

Hey all,
New to this board, but got some good info on the waiting times.
I mailed my packet February 26 or so . Did the electronic fingerprints
Application sat without staus changes for over 60 days
Emailed-- nada
Called and got the standard we are processing for March X, please call back in a couple weeks

Finally called again and got to talk with a helpful person who transfered me to the technician working on my app
Here is where I say " Im glad I called !!

She mentions to me she is performing my background check and sees a DUI back in 2005.( bogus charge, but thats a different story). She says she can either put it on hold till July ??? or deny my app.
I let her know its been OVER 6 years and the law says it is only 5 years since any DUI's etc. She counts on her fingers and exclaims oh ! It is over 5 years .
So if I hadn't called she would have denied me and then all hell would break loose.
Oh well its in Manufacturing as of today.
You would figure simple math would be a requirement for application techincians

dwm119
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dwm119 »

Updated to Mailed status as of 5/10, hoping it will be here by today or tomorrow.

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 2farnorth »

dwm119 wrote:Updated to Mailed status as of 5/10, hoping it will be here by today or tomorrow.
Took 4 days in from mailed to received for mine
N5PNZ

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

johnson0317 wrote:5/11 - Manufacturing!

Almost there.
5/12 - Mailed! :hurry:
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA

BissellisWeird
Posts in topic: 8

Post by BissellisWeird »

Freakin sweet. Update. Made a call to DPS yesterday and the lady tells me my background check has been cleared as of that day and sent to be mailed. Curiosity and OCD I checked the website this mornin and it had been updated to Manufacturing Pending. Looks like my e-mail to Perry's office worked. Oh and my stepdad sent in his packet the same day as me and has plastic in hand as of yesterday.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”