February 2011 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Rebel
Posts in topic: 15

Re: February 2011 Applications

Post by Rebel »

Skaven wrote:
reeder05 wrote:New to the Forum. Been lurking for the past few weeks. Lots of good info here.

I took class Feb 13, fingerprints sent via FAST, and online application

Mailed packet Feb 14 via certified mail, recieved Feb 18.

Online says they are still waiting to recieve my information... Gawhlie, check that dang site 2-3 times a day!!

At least I know I'm not the only one that is clogging up their server. I actually broke down and memorized my TXDL number so I wouldn't have to keep looking it up. My info signed for by DPS on the 25th of Feb.
Am I the only one who has memorized their DL since the ay I got it way back in 87. I always considered it just as important to know as my SS number.

warhorse10_9
Posts in topic: 2

Post by warhorse10_9 »

Rebel wrote:Am I the only one who has memorized their DL since the ay I got it way back in 87. I always considered it just as important to know as my SS number.
I memorized mine right after I got it, that was only in '01 though. So can't say I have known mine as long as you have known yours. :lol::

*edited for typos, I hate those.
Last edited by warhorse10_9 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

I have no idea exactly when I memorized mine, but it was a LONG time ago.

I'm lucky to have one that is really easy to remember. :lol:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

brandon01rt
Posts in topic: 4

Post by brandon01rt »

Hello all!

Class, FAST prints on 2/10
Mailed on 2/14
Recieved 2/16
Site updated 3/4

Currently: waiting on fingerprints and background.

Millerk420

Post by Millerk420 »

Ok, I feel very stupid now for not doing all my homework and I guess trusting my instructor. Before i took the class my instructor told us NOT to fill out the online application because if we did, we would not be able to use his paper work that he helps you fill out. So we didn't fill out the online app. :banghead:

We took the class on 2-26-11
Mailed everything on 2-28-11 minus fingerprints because now ONLY Electronic are allowed.
Checked site everyday 3-27-11 I was able to login and see my status now I will schedule finger prints :woohoo
Sadly the L-1 site shows my site booked this week and closed because they are moving buildings over the weekend. I will update again next week.

I keep checking the website to see if i can login, but there is no change.

My wife was on the phone (on hold) for 45 minutes with DPS 800 number, when the operator finally got on the line she said Since the application was mailed we cannot proceed until the data has been entered into the database and we have received our letter in the mail from DPS.

ugh.. he is a good instructor but :???: I am mainly mad at myself, I should have known better.. I really should have.. I will keep you all posted so we can all laugh at me when I get my Plastic in 2013..
Last edited by Millerk420 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Millerk420 wrote:Ok, I feel very stupid now for not doing all my homework and I guess trusting my instructor. Before i took the class my instructor told us NOT to fill out the online application because if we did, we would not be able to use his paper work that he helps you fill out. So we didn't fill out the online app. :banghead:

We took the class on 2-26-11
Mailed everything on 2-28-11 minus fingerprints because now ONLY Electronic are allowed.

I keep checking the website to see if i can login, but there is no change.

My wife was on the phone (on hold) for 45 minutes with DPS 800 number, when the operator finally got on the line she said Since the application was mailed we cannot proceed until the data has been entered into the database and we have received our letter in the mail from DPS.

ugh.. he is a good instructor but :???: I am mainly mad at myself, I should have known better.. I really should have.. I will keep you all posted so we can all laugh at me when I get my Plastic in 2013..
If you read this forum you will see that on average it takes about two weeks for your status to get updated on the DPS website. You mailed it in just a little over a week ago!!

People have a bit of patience. There seems to be a rash of people bugging the DPS days after they sent in their application lately wanting to know how come they aren't updated/issued/mailed out yet.

According to last years stats, TX DPS issued over 100,000 CHLs last year, if they 100 people working in that office, and that is probably a very over estimated number, thats means that each person has to research 1000 applications a year or almost 3 apps a day per person. Everyone calling for every little thing only slows down the process, which by the way seems to running very well and efficient right now. Just a year or so ago 6 month waiting times were not unheard of, now if people aren't getting theirs in 15 days, they are already complaining.

ss1088

Post by ss1088 »

I actually do very detailed background investigations on people for a living, and I can do well over 1000 in a year. I am sure mine are much more complex than the DPS investigations, and I am sure my access to all the information is not as easy. It takes me two weeks or less to complete an investigation. However, people with common names can be a PITA. To be fair, I am sure I work on a much better budget than the DPS does and I use some outside agencies to grab documents from the courthouse.

Millerk420

Post by Millerk420 »

Hey Rebel,
Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining. I was just informing. I didn't join this forum until after my class and mailing everything off. I am very new to the forum. :)

I am also going from the information I had from my instructor. He told us wait four days after mailing our packet in to DPS and then they should have our info and entered into the database. I was merely going off what i was told from him.

Trust me, I clearly understand my instructor was very old school now and not completely up on all his information. I wanted to also post so let others know and learn from my mistake. And that is ONLINE APP is the way to go. :thumbs2: I didn't see another post from anyone that didn't do the online application either so i thought i would post up. :)

Oh oh, and my wife said she was only on hold for 45 minutes she only talked to the lady at DPS for less than 2 minutes we didnt take up their time too much :)

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Millerk420 wrote:Hey Rebel,
Please don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining. I was just informing. I didn't join this forum until after my class and mailing everything off. I am very new to the forum. :)

I am also going from the information I had from my instructor. He told us wait four days after mailing our packet in to DPS and then they should have our info and entered into the database. I was merely going off what i was told from him.

Trust me, I clearly understand my instructor was very old school now and not completely up on all his information. I wanted to also post so let others know and learn from my mistake. And that is ONLINE APP is the way to go. :thumbs2: I didn't see another post from anyone that didn't do the online application either so i thought i would post up. :)

Oh oh, and my wife said she was only on hold for 45 minutes she only talked to the lady at DPS for less than 2 minutes we didnt take up their time too much :)

Please don't take what I said as me complaining about you, and if it seems that way I apologize. I was just trying to point out that lately, and I think it may have to do with that January thread that seemed way out of the norm, many are becoming restless about their applications within days of sending them in.

I just wanted to point out that a few people(I wouldn't be surprised if the actual number was less than 25) are handling a 100,000 applications, and when you get lots of people calling, just because they are impatient, then it just slows down the whole process. Must be a reason it takes 30 minutes to answer a phone.

I was the same as you and everyone else, I checked the website multiple times a day and couldn't understand what was taking so long to update my status to just show received, but then I starting reading and realized that the 1st update could take weeks.

High Calibre Hottie

Post by High Calibre Hottie »

34 days, plastic in hand. :hurry: :cheers2:

Jeep4Play

Post by Jeep4Play »

heres my dates:
Online application submitted: 1-10-11
Took the class: 1-15-11
Application updated on website as received: 2-14-11
License manufactured: 3-7-11
License mailed: 3-8-11 :woohoo
Checking mailbox every day till it arrives ! :hurry:
Sig Swat 556
Kimber TLE II .45
Glock 23 Gen 4
1915 German Luger
"our house is protected by the good Lord and a gun
and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son" -
Josh Thompson

Lemonsc2002
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Lemonsc2002 »

Application : Received
Fingerprints : Complete
Affidavits : Received
DL or ID : Valid
Citizenship : No documentation required
Passport photo holder : Received
Photo : Received
Proof of Classroom training : Received
Proof of Proficiency training : Received
Fee : Received
Background Check : Completed
Concealed Handgun License : Manufacturing Pending :woohoo
Online App: Can't Remember....
Class: 2/12/11
Mailed: 2/14/11
DPS mailed: 3/15/10
In my mailbox: 3/18/10

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Lemonsc2002 wrote:Application : Received
Fingerprints : Complete
Background Check : Completed
Concealed Handgun License : Manufacturing Pending :woohoo
Less than a month, Congrats!!!

nicholass817
Posts in topic: 19

Post by nicholass817 »

3/9/2010 - Online application
2/15/2011 - L1 fingerprints
2/19/2011 - Took CHL class (249/100%)
2/21/2011 - Mailed to DPS

3/10/2010
Application : Received
Fingerprints : Under review
Background Check : Under review
Concealed Handgun License : Print pending completion of application review

Its funny because I called last week and they told me that my fingerprints were received and approved.

Aecarus
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Aecarus »

2/13/11 Class Taken
2/14/11 Packet sent off
2/16/11 USPS Tracking reports It is in Austin
3/11/11 Website updated as follows:
* Application : Received
* Fingerprints : Complete
* Affidavits : Received
* DL or ID : Valid