January 2011 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
scooter1966
Posts in topic: 17

January 2011 Applications

Post by scooter1966 »

Hi all! I figured I would get this months waiting game going. Seems like things have improved with the CHL website compared with recent months.

Online application made 1-2-11
Support documents mailed First Class 1-3-11

1/11/11 @5pm

Application : Received
Fingerprints : Under review
Affidavits : Received
DL or ID : Valid
Citizenship : No documentation required
Passport photo holder : Received
Photo : Received
Proof of Classroom training : Received
Proof of Proficiency training : Received
Fee : Received
Background Check : Under review
Concealed Handgun License : Print pending completion of application review

I sent paper prints that were included in the class fee so I've got my fingers crossed now. I am really happy to see a progress update only eight days after mailing in my packet!!! :woohoo

rmr1923
Posts in topic: 38

Re: January 2011 Applications

Post by rmr1923 »

did my application on Dec 31st and mailed my paperwork in the same day you did.. out of curiosity, next to "Application: Received" do you have a green check mark, or the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark? me and one other guy in the December 2010 thread both have that yellow triangle so i'm guessing that's normal.

Topic author
scooter1966
Posts in topic: 17

Post by scooter1966 »

I have the yellow triangle. I'm operating under the assumption that this just indicates that the application is neither approved or denied only received. Now I have something to ponder while I wait... :waiting:

jcarp02
Posts in topic: 27

Post by jcarp02 »

I sent my application off the same day and saw a status update on the DPS website on the same day as well. So are we placing a little wager on who gets their plastic first? jk

rmr1923
Posts in topic: 38

Post by rmr1923 »

jcarp02 wrote:I sent my application off the same day and saw a status update on the DPS website on the same day as well. So are we placing a little wager on who gets their plastic first? jk
if i get my plastic first, i get your Glock 19? but only if you already have the night sights installed... :cool:

i have a brother-in-law that lives in Indiana, it took him about 2 weeks to get his CHL. not sure why Texas takes so long, probably more to do with the number of applicants i'd think.

MostlyHarmless
Posts in topic: 13

Post by MostlyHarmless »

Misery loves company -- I mailed mine (certified) on 1/10/11 (Austin local).

jcarp02

Post by jcarp02 »

NoJustHappyToSeeYou wrote:Misery loves company -- I mailed mine (certified) on 1/10/11 (Austin local).

Quite possibly the best username I've seen

MostlyHarmless

Post by MostlyHarmless »

jcarp02 wrote:
NoJustHappyToSeeYou wrote:Misery loves company -- I mailed mine (certified) on 1/10/11 (Austin local).

Quite possibly the best username I've seen

Hehe -- thanks! :cheers2:

rescuetech
Posts in topic: 8

Post by rescuetech »

Well I sent my paper application with accompanying documentation on Jan. 5 (I actually took the class a few months back but with four kids, sometimes dads priorities come last) on Jan. 8 a whack-job in AZ kills six people and injures a dozen or so more.

While watching the evening news on the 9th the talking heads went into great detail about how the whack-job purchased his gun legally, passing an FBI background check.
Near the end of the report the main talking head says; "...and some law makers are calling for a halt to the FBI background checks until the process can be reviewed".

Now the only thing I can think is, I'M SCREWED, this whack-job just put my CHL Appl. on hold and who knows for how long.

What do yall think, will this event slow the process?

Teamless
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Teamless »

rescuetech wrote:What do yall think, will this event slow the process?
Highly doubtful, you should (as long as everything is in order) have your license in 30-45 days
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

jcarp02

Post by jcarp02 »

I posted a similar question on another thread about the federal government trying to enforce stricter gun legislation. The concensus seemed to be that it will have no effect on the state's background checks. I purchased a Glock last week and it came in on Wednesday. When it came in, they called in to check my background and they got an answer immediately. I would think that if the government was going to do something about halting background checks, they hopefully wouldn't be able to do it until after ours came back.

jspring0033
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jspring0033 »

Hi everyone!

I have been lurking the last week or so and just signed up today.

I also took my CHL class on Jan 8th.
Mailed to Austin on January 10th.
Delivered in Austin today Jan 14th.

The wait begins. I have been carrying around my house everyday since the class trying to get used to my new CCW.

Looking forward to being an active member on this site!

jspring0033
Spring, Texas
jspring0033
Spring, Texas
Springfield xd 40
Ruger LCP (CCW)
Bushmaster AR-15

MostlyHarmless

Post by MostlyHarmless »

Mailed mine certified mail local in Austin on Monday, 1/10, and by the end of the work week today (Friday, 1/14) my online account showed status. I saw it posted somewhere not to expect anything to show up on the state website for 2 weeks, but it seems either that things are running faster or perhaps they just update at the end of every week.

I have a green status (successfully complete) for most of the required items, but the very first item is called "Application" -- the website has it marked as "Received" but it's still marked yellow. Is that normal?

MostlyHarmless

Post by MostlyHarmless »

jcarp02 wrote:I posted a similar question on another thread about the federal government trying to enforce stricter gun legislation. The concensus seemed to be that it will have no effect on the state's background checks. I purchased a Glock last week and it came in on Wednesday. When it came in, they called in to check my background and they got an answer immediately. I would think that if the government was going to do something about halting background checks, they hopefully wouldn't be able to do it until after ours came back.

I don't think your purchase experience is relevant here: The automated system they go through when you buy a gun is different than the full FBI background check they go through when apply for get a CHL. I certainly do hope they don't slow down at the FBI, though.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

NoJustHappyToSeeYou wrote:Mailed mine certified mail local in Austin on Monday, 1/10, and by the end of the work week today (Friday, 1/14) my online account showed status. I saw it posted somewhere not to expect anything to show up on the state website for 2 weeks, but it seems either that things are running faster or perhaps they just update at the end of every week.

I have a green status (successfully complete) for most of the required items, but the very first item is called "Application" -- the website has it marked as "Received" but it's still marked yellow. Is that normal?
Yup, perfectly normal.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”