question about all the delays being posted

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
robert0550
Posts in topic: 2

question about all the delays being posted

Post by robert0550 »

I am fairly new to this but I thought if they didnt deny you then at 60 days they must issue the license.

Now I am probably incorrect but that what I got out of my class.

can someone please educate me
Time Line
Oct 14th Class
Oct 21st Mailed Application
Oct 23rd Application Rcvd
Nov 21st Rcvd Pin
Dec 12 Licenese Issued
License Rcvd 12/11/06

Sig 226R 9MM
Para Ord LTC .45

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Robert:

Nope. From your class, you should have a copy of "Texas Concealed Handgun Laws and Selected Statutes." If not, you can find it on the Texas DPS Website.

Government Code Sections 411.176 and 411.177 are the ones you want. There is a common confusion about the terminology; the term "department" is used to reference both the DPS and the local law enforcement office. They could make that less ambiguous.

From date of receipt, DPS has 30 days to forward the application to the "designee in the geographical area of the applicant's residence." That designee has 60 days to conduct an additional criminal history check and an investigation of the applicant's local records [this is clarified in 411.177 (b)].

The sections state that DPS must, not later than the 60th day after the date of receipt "by the director's designee of the completed application materials," meaning your local law enforcement office:

- Issue you the license
- Notify you are denied
- Notify you that a determination will require additional time, tell you the reason, and provide you an estimate of the time

I think a lot of folks make the mistake of thinking 60 days from date of receipt in Austin is the demarc. It ain't. It's technically 90 days from that date because the "director's designee" has 60 days.

Section 411.177 goes on to say, "Failure of the department to issue or deny a license for a period of of more than 30 days after the department is required to act under Subsection (b) constitutes denial." So that means that if DPS doesn't tell you squat after 120 days, it means, de facto, denial of license.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KBCraig »

Skiprr wrote:Government Code Sections 411.176 and 411.177 are the ones you want. There is a common confusion about the terminology; the term "department" is used to reference both the DPS and the local law enforcement office. They could make that less ambiguous.

From date of receipt, DPS has 30 days to forward the application to the "designee in the geographical area of the applicant's residence." That designee has 60 days to conduct an additional criminal history check and an investigation of the applicant's local records [this is clarified in 411.177 (b)].

The sections state that DPS must, not later than the 60th day after the date of receipt "by the director's designee of the completed application materials," meaning your local law enforcement office:

- Issue you the license
- Notify you are denied
- Notify you that a determination will require additional time, tell you the reason, and provide you an estimate of the time

I think a lot of folks make the mistake of thinking 60 days from date of receipt in Austin is the demarc. It ain't. It's technically 90 days from that date because the "director's designee" has 60 days.

Section 411.177 goes on to say, "Failure of the department to issue or deny a license for a period of of more than 30 days after the department is required to act under Subsection (b) constitutes denial." So that means that if DPS doesn't tell you squat after 120 days, it means, de facto, denial of license.
Unfortunately, Skiprr is correct about the law. This needs to be corrected in 2007, so that there is a "time definite" from receipt of the application by the DPS CHL Unit, until issuance of the license. If DPS is still waiting reports from some local units, that should be treated as an internal problem. The license should be issued NLT the 60th calendar day after receipt, if no information has been received that would justify denying the license. If subsequent processing reveals justification for denial, then revoke the license.

In previous discussion about this, some are concerned that this might jeopardize the Texas CHL status as as NICS bypass. I'm not sure how ATF decides which licenses qualify, but I'm pretty sure that if a 2 minute phone call to NICS can get a "proceed", then the CHL process should be sufficient if DPS can't find a reason to deny after 60 days.

Kevin

Topic author
robert0550

Post by robert0550 »

Thanks for clearing that up, it makes more sense now. I have a lot of waiting to do.
Time Line
Oct 14th Class
Oct 21st Mailed Application
Oct 23rd Application Rcvd
Nov 21st Rcvd Pin
Dec 12 Licenese Issued
License Rcvd 12/11/06

Sig 226R 9MM
Para Ord LTC .45

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Robert:

You're three days ahead of me (mine was received in Austin October 26), so we'll see how it goes. With the holidays on us and what I'm sure will be reduced staff next week and Christmas week, I'm really not expecting anything other than my PIN until mid-January.

Maybe for the folks who apply in Q4 we can make and market little Christmas tree ornaments that look like carry pistols, holsters, and little replica CHL licenses... ;-)
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

RodL
Posts in topic: 1

Well shoot me and hang me out bleed...............

Post by RodL »

Skiprr wrote:
Government Code Sections 411.176 and 411.177 are the ones you want. There is a common confusion about the terminology; the term "department" is used to reference both the DPS and the local law enforcement office. They could make that less ambiguous.

- Issue you the license
- Notify you are denied

Section 411.177 goes on to say, "Failure of the department to issue or deny a license for a period of of more than 30 days after the department is required to act under Subsection (b) constitutes denial." So that means that if DPS doesn't tell you squat after 120 days, it means, de facto, denial of license

Well heck darn fudge!! I just passed the 60 days and I have been "practicing" around the house with new holsters and new shooters, and running to the mailbox while checking the "status" 16 times a day. And I have another 30 days to go, hope I don't shoot any body parts practicing the quick draw (tongue firmly in cheek) :lol: . Whewee them "yeahoos" are sumthin else......(note to speech police: Does this make the cut?)

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”