May 2010 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Teamless
Posts in topic: 16

Re: May 2010 Applications

Post by Teamless »

alpmc wrote:I'm doing the dance!
Congrats!
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

DocNTexas
Posts in topic: 5

Post by DocNTexas »

My wife has been waiting for over 45 days for her renewal application to be processed.

Mailed her completed packet on 05/06/10.
USPS confirmed delivery on 05/08/10.
DPS online showed all received with prints pending 05/14/10.
DPS online showed prints complete 05/24/10.
DPS online has shown packet complete except for "background check pending" since 05/24/10.

Called DPS on 06/20/10, was advised it was currently taking 45 day average for renewals and 60 for new applications. Cited increase in apps as reason for delay. She has nothing that would delay background check.

When asked why everyone else in her class had already received theirs back, including a few new apps we were aware of, there was no answer other than someone else probably delayed it, like the FBI or local check. When asked about 45 day deadline and fact that all else shows to have been completed for 4 weeks, again, no answer other than "we are really busy here".

Seems the DPS is no better now than before. Looks like another call the the congressman is in order. Funny how we can't use the excuse of being "too busy" for not meeting a legal deadline, but the DPS thinks they can.

Doc

dubya
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dubya »

DocNTexas, sorry to hear it. I don't understand; the code states the renewal WILL be issued after 45 days.

You might also contact Alice Tripp, Legislative Director, TSRA you can get her email at https://www.tsra.com/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=117" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What county are you in?

Good luck, JW

Edit: I wonder if Mr. Cotton or anyone from the TSRA sees this and can respond. Does the DPS not have to follow guidelines and issue the renewal at 45 days as the code requires?
Thanks,
JW
JW, Sons of the Republic of Texas
NRA, TSRA

alpmc
Posts in topic: 18

Post by alpmc »

DocNTexas wrote:Called DPS on 06/20/10, was advised it was currently taking 45 day average for renewals and 60 for new applications. Cited increase in apps as reason for delay. She has nothing that would delay background check.
I'm also sorry to hear this. Seems unusual considering the average wait times posted in this forum. I totally understand your frustration. I found calling the DPS/CHL to be a waste of my time, I could never talk to anyone who actually had viable answers. I mostly got "the runaround"!

Good luck and keep us posted.

creekwilly
Posts in topic: 11

Post by creekwilly »

alpmc i took my class the smae day u did and they recieved my packet before u. but what i i think my hold up is, i have lived in 3 different counties over the last 5 years. and still not status change today. just hoping to have it by the 4th, when im traveling.

Bowed_Up_Onaspeck

Post by Bowed_Up_Onaspeck »

creekwilly wrote:alpmc i took my class the smae day u did and they recieved my packet before u. but what i i think my hold up is, i have lived in 3 different counties over the last 5 years. and still not status change today. just hoping to have it by the 4th, when im traveling.
I took my class on the 8th also ..... where did ya'll take yours ???

:woohoo Received Nevada CFP in mail today :anamatedbanana

60 Days exactly
Nevada CFP
Applied 04/23/10
Plastic 06/22/10
Utah CFP
Applied 04/28/10
Plastis 06/26/10
Texas CHL
Mailed 05/11/10
Plastic 07/06/10
9mm
  • Kahr PM9
    Sig 239
    Glock 34

alpmc

Post by alpmc »

creekwilly wrote:alpmc i took my class the smae day u did and they recieved my packet before u. but what i i think my hold up is, i have lived in 3 different counties over the last 5 years. and still not status change today. just hoping to have it by the 4th, when im traveling.
Your probably right about your frequent moves in the past five years as being the hold up. I'd be willing to bet your plastic is not far behind me!
Bowed_Up_Onaspeck wrote:I took my class on the 8th also ..... where did ya'll take yours ???

:woohoo Received Nevada CFP in mail today :anamatedbanana

60 Days exactly
Congratulations on your Nevada CFP!
I took mine in Lubbock.

llanite
Posts in topic: 10

Post by llanite »

Pretty much one month of processing time and all that's left is the background check. Uggghh! The waiting!

15-May-2010 - Class taken.
21-May-2010 - Online application and fee completed. Packet mailed with signature service requested.
23-May-2010 - Postal service indicates package received and signed for.
07-June-2010 - Online application indicates updated but waiting for supporting information to be mailed.
License Status: Application processed online. Concealed Handgun Licensing is waiting on the receipt of required materials. Once the application and materials have been received by Concealed Handgun Licensing and processing has begun, a more detailed status will appear on this page.

15-June-2010
* Application : Received
* Fingerprints : Under review
* Affidavits : Received
* DL or ID : Valid
* Citizenship : No documentation required
* Passport photo holder : Received
* Photo : Received
* Proof of Classroom training : Received
* Proof of Proficiency training : Received
* Fee : Received
* Background Check : Under review
* Concealed Handgun License : Print pending completion of application review

Exactly 10 working days to acknowledge the online form.
24 days to process the forms and update the web page.

23-June-2010
Fingerprint processing complete and accepted!
32 days total to get to this point!

millenix

Post by millenix »

May 21st - Packet Mailed
June 18th - Background check passed

It's been on Manufacturing Pending since Friday, so waiting on it to mail.

alpmc

Post by alpmc »

llanite wrote:Pretty much one month of processing time and all that's left is the background check. Uggghh! The waiting!

* Background Check : Under review
For some reason the BGC's are taking longer this month. Hang in there.......it's worth the frustration! When you get your plastic, you won't even remember the wait.
millenix wrote:May 21st - Packet Mailed
June 18th - Background check passed

It's been on Manufacturing Pending since Friday, so waiting on it to mail.
Your in the home stretch! Won't be long now!

creekwilly
Posts in topic: 11

Post by creekwilly »

im glad everyone has gotten updates today. mine is still in the same postiton finger and background. and the recieved mine paper work on june 1tth so it have been 6 weeks today

DocNTexas

Post by DocNTexas »

dubya wrote:DocNTexas, sorry to hear it. I don't understand; the code states the renewal WILL be issued after 45 days.

You might also contact Alice Tripp, Legislative Director, TSRA you can get her email at https://www.tsra.com/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=117" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What county are you in?

Good luck, JW

Edit: I wonder if Mr. Cotton or anyone from the TSRA sees this and can respond. Does the DPS not have to follow guidelines and issue the renewal at 45 days as the code requires?
Thanks,
JW

JW, thanks, I converse with Mrs. Tripp fairly regular and have discussed the DPS's failure to comply on several occasions. I do plan to forward this to her as well.

Doc

DocNTexas

Post by DocNTexas »

OK, UPDATE:

Wife called DPS this morning and was told "they were waiting on one more outside check to be returned". Was told that "it has just barely been 45 days and should not be much longer". When she asked why several other people who were new applicants had all received theirs in 20 to 30 days, she was told "yes, the new applications go much faster". REALLY????

After her call, I called them back and asked for a supervisor. After being on hold for several minutes, the original person came back on line and informed me that "the supervisor was out for the day and had not been in all week". Suppose that might be part of the problem around there?

I pointed out that the DPS had 45 days and if they were waiting on an outside "LOCAL" appointee, as they claim, then the local investigator has a deadline also and it was DPS's job to enforce that. The DPS rep agreed and stated "we are actually working on that".

We ended the call with her promise to document the issue and pass it on to her supervisor and I requested the supervisor call me to discuss the issue when she came back to work. Incidentally, I asked if there was only one supervisor and was told "no, there are others, but this is the only one that can help you with this issue...the rest don't know anything about it". Again, is this a clue to the problem?

So, at the moment we are still waiting on the DPS and I plan to spend the time constructively by chatting with my political representatives. I understand times of increased volume causing delays, but when new apps are having 20 day turn arounds and a renewal is near 50 days, that is not acceptable. I tend to believe someone has dropped the ball. I would even be understanding if they admitted that to be the case and then fixed the problem, but they just blow us off and act like the law does not apply to them.

Doc

dubya

Post by dubya »

Good luck Doc,
JW
Last edited by dubya on Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JW, Sons of the Republic of Texas
NRA, TSRA

LarryH
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LarryH »

When you consider how long both new and renewal applications were taking last year, that's not bad.

At that time, Charles was collecting information on how long the process was taking and conveyed that information to the appropriate people at DPS and the state House of Representatives. That led to the recent improvement in processing times.

I know, it doesn't make YOU feel any better.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”