License received

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mbs05
Posts in topic: 1

License received

Post by mbs05 »

Apparently the folks down in Austin are getting their stuff together. After seeing wait times in the 100+ day range I was expecting the worst, but received my license today, which is day 47. Just wanted to let everyone know, there is hope out there.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

Welcome to the forum! I am glad that your license did not take long....Don't leave home without it :grin:
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

spud

Post by spud »

Congrats!

sparx
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sparx »

Excellent news and we're very happy for you! It's about time they put the pot on to boil down there! :thumbsup:

We sent ours in on June 18 and the packets were received two days later, but we're still waiting. My wife had to resubmit her fingerprints a few weeks ago which starts her over at square one, though she's still getting the "you may not be eligible for a CHL..." message when checking her status online.

Since she's been getting the same message without change ever since the fingerprint redo request came in (and they received the new fingerprints on August 3rd), she called yesterday and was told that they are having some serious issues with both their web site and telephone system, but they weren't able to tell her why she was getting that message online, nor the status of her application. (BTW, she's never received anything more than a traffic violation in her life, and perhaps only two or three of those at most, so we know that's she's quite eligible.)

She said that she went through a dozen hoops just to get what little information she got, and didn't want to waste any more of their (or her) time not really getting anywhere, so she left it at that.

Oh well. I'm more worried about the delays in getting her CHL versus mine... I just hope our packets aren't sitting in a stack somewhere on that Roger guy's desk. ;-)
NRA, TSRA, TXGR, SAF, GOA & FPC
"I'm not terrified of guns, I'm terrified of gun-free zones!"

bauerdj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bauerdj »

Are you sure its saying she might not be eligible for a CHL and not "you many not be eligibile for this service"? If it is the latter it refers to checking the status not the CHL itself and it is indeed a website problem and nothing to get concerned about.

Dave B.

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

I suppose now you're going to start carrying a gun... aren't you?

Congrats,
Carry Safe,

Russ
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

sparx

Post by sparx »

bauerdj wrote:Are you sure its saying she might not be eligible for a CHL and not "you many not be eligibile for this service"? If it is the latter it refers to checking the status not the CHL itself and it is indeed a website problem and nothing to get concerned about.

Dave B.
Thanks for that info! I just checked it myself and you're absolutely right... it states:

"The data you have submitted indicates you may not be eligible for this service. Please verify the data submitted is correct. If you still cannot proceed, please contact DPS at 1-800-224-5744 or email chl@txdps.state.tx.us for more information."

She will be glad to know that. I had been telling her that it was probably just a problem with the site's database, but she was so worried there was more to it than that (like failed fingerprints again).

pdouglas

sparx - double check pin

Post by pdouglas »

Sparx,

Have your wife double or triple check all entries when trying to lookup her status.

If you enter something incorrectly, that is when you get that error message.

If everything is 100% correct, email or call DPS and ask them to issue a new pin # - that should fix the problem or have them email you what the pin is supposed to be and compare with what was mailed, it may have changed.

Sorry to hear about the problems. I'm still waiting too. I should have mailed it and forgot it, but boy is that hard to do!

Take care,
Patrick

bauerdj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bauerdj »

A common cause of that message is entering the information on the wrong screen, make sure she is in the CHL screen and not the instructors screen - once your in these screens the information entry section is exactly the same.

Dave B.

GrannyGlock

Post by GrannyGlock »

Frankly, I think the online portion of the DPS office is just to give you something to do with your time while waiting and has nothing to do with anything going on in the office.

Call after the 60 days, try to find out what technician has your application and talk directly with them. Makes you feel like you have really done something. Be patient up until then.

sparx

Post by sparx »

Yep, everything is entered correctly. She's going to send off an email tonight and see if they can't tell her what's up with the error. Since this error message started just about the time that she resubmitted her fingerprints, if pdouglas is correct about a new PIN, that could be the problem. She's only received one of those and it DID work at one time... just no longer so they just may have indeed issued her a new one for some reason. We'll give it a shot and I'll keep this thread posted with the outcome.

Thanks!

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”