100+ Club

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

tah
Posts in topic: 7

Re: 100+ Club

Post by tah »

USA1 wrote:
wow that's a long time :shock:
yes , absolutely make some calls .have you called DPS at all ?
what county and city do you live in ?
there are many options you have to get this resolved .

and i almost forgot , welcome to the forum . :tiphat:
Thanks for the welcome! I live in Kaufman County.

I know part of the problem is mine in that it took me two months to get the prints redone & then another month wasted when I forgot to sign the cards. I'll take that hit. :oops: What can I say? My son got married in that time frame and I was just a little busy.

I called DPS this morning. V told me that my application is processing. Yeah, I knew that. I can see it online too. :roll: Then she said it takes the FBI a long time to do their check. :???: I asked if they had everything that they needed which she did confirm. I also mentioned that I heard they had hired a lot of people recently. She pointedly told me that my application was in process. :banghead:

Ideas?
1/30/09-CHL Class
2/27-App rec'd
4/23-Letter-prints bad
6/29-New FAST print cards rec'd
7/2-Pin rec'd-Processing application
7/29-Letter-Forgot to sign print cards
8/01-Signed cards rec'd
9/30-Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
10/3-Plastic in hand

joe817
Posts in topic: 43

Post by joe817 »

tah, I have an apology to make. I skimmed over your application history, and it failed to register on first reading that your 2nd fingerprint set was received on Aug. 01. Bottom line is that DPS was waiting for your 2nd set of fingerprints before sending them to the FBI for the background check(this is much more in depth background check than the typical NICS check when you purchase a gun).

The result of this is that DPS has basically been sitting on your application file all this time, and in essence, started processing your file after receiving the new prints. The clock starts ticking when the DPS website changes over to "Processing Application". That's the bad news.

The GOOD news is that DPS HAS hired more people to help process apps. AND there were major changes to the processing procedures that were implemented on Sept. 01, and processing speed has greatly increased. There's even been one board member who submitted his application in early August, and has already received his license. I don't know if that's the norm, but it's a very good indicator that processing speed has picked up considerably for everyone.

I still think it would be justified to call your State Congressman & Senator, and explain the situation to them. It certainly can't hurt.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

tah

Post by tah »

Thanks for the reply, Joe. I figured I was basically starting over with my 8/1 date.

My fear is that they do one thing at a time, you know. After my FBI prints come back, will they will look at my picture and decide that it isn't acceptable?

Then there is the issue that I got a new job and then was laid off after my application. Gotta love this economy. :cryin I wonder if that will be their next holdup since that information is not on the app.

Oh well, my other son is getting married this month. I guess I'll wait until the end of September to bother my state reps. With two weddings in less than six months, I can't afford a gun right now anyway. ;-)
1/30/09-CHL Class
2/27-App rec'd
4/23-Letter-prints bad
8/01-Signed cards rec'd
10/3-Plastic in hand

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Good grief tah! Be optimistic! They haven't said anything about your picture and you stand a good chance they won't. I wouldn't worry(well in regards to the CHL app anyway) about the new job and then the layoff. Sorry it happened...really am.

And super congrats MOM!! On both sons getting married! Now you can breathe a big sigh of relief. :lol:

Have faith tah, and remember you are not alone in the waiting game.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

4guns2
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 4guns2 »

The "PLASTIC" is off to printers.
3 to 4 weeks for printing :blowup
Now comes the time to really wear out DPS website :banghead:
Last night processing
This morning Complete :thewave :woohoo :anamatedbanana :party: :fire
Come on mailman :cup: :txflag:
Wally World Done
Kahr P45

tah

Post by tah »

I got really tired of seeing "processing application" since my pin receipt back in July. So in a fit of menopause, I wrote a testy e-mail to the DPS right before I left town on Thursday evening. I returned to find this in my e-mail box today - "The license has been printed. You should receive it within 1-2 weeks". Yet when I check online the website still says "processing application".

I don't know whether to dance, laugh or pitch a tent by the mailbox...... :anamatedbanana :lol: :sleep

Thoughts?
1/30/09-CHL Class
2/27-App rec'd
4/23-Letter-prints bad
8/01-Signed cards rec'd
10/3-Plastic in hand

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Fantastic tah!!! I'm thrilled for you ! Super duper congrats ! For now, just laughing and dancing will do! :smilelol5:

:anamatedbanana :woohoo :party: :smile:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

tah

Post by tah »

I just checked the website and saw the most beautiful thing -

Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

:clapping: :biggrinjester: :cheers2: :hurry: :patriot: :smilelol5: :thumbs2: :rolll "rlol" :drool: :woohoo :fire :anamatedbanana :eek6 :thewave :party: :rock" :thumbsup: :chldancing
1/30/09-CHL Class
2/27-App rec'd
4/23-Letter-prints bad
8/01-Signed cards rec'd
10/3-Plastic in hand

Topic author
USA1
Posts in topic: 69

Post by USA1 »

CONGRATULATIONS tah !!!
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Super congrats tah! I'm glad the wait wasn't that long. :clapping: :anamatedbanana
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

jsimmons
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jsimmons »

tah wrote:I got really tired of seeing "processing application" since my pin receipt back in July. So in a fit of menopause, I wrote a testy e-mail to the DPS right before I left town on Thursday evening. I returned to find this in my e-mail box today - "The license has been printed. You should receive it within 1-2 weeks". Yet when I check online the website still says "processing application".

I don't know whether to dance, laugh or pitch a tent by the mailbox...... :anamatedbanana :lol: :sleep

Thoughts?
Your status *should* say "Application complete - certificate is active" or something to that affect. I don't understand why it takes "two to three weeks" to print a card and mail it.
Took class, paid fees, changed my mind. I want constitutional carry.

tah

Post by tah »

jsimmons wrote:
tah wrote:I got really tired of seeing "processing application" since my pin receipt back in July. So in a fit of menopause, I wrote a testy e-mail to the DPS right before I left town on Thursday evening. I returned to find this in my e-mail box today - "The license has been printed. You should receive it within 1-2 weeks". Yet when I check online the website still says "processing application".

Thoughts?
Your status *should* say "Application complete - certificate is active" or something to that affect. I don't understand why it takes "two to three weeks" to print a card and mail it.
Ask the DPS. I've quoted exactly the reply from their e-mail and the message on the DPS website. :???:
1/30/09-CHL Class
2/27-App rec'd
4/23-Letter-prints bad
8/01-Signed cards rec'd
10/3-Plastic in hand

tah

Post by tah »

I got my CHL license in the mail today!!! :thewave

By my calculations, it took 144 days from receipt of my application in Austin to plastic in hand today. I did not include the 2 months I wasted from the initial unacceptable prints letter to getting them back into DPS in that calculation. Granted, 31 of those days were my fault for not signing the second set of fingerprint cards. So I would say that it took 110+ days total from app receipt to plastic. :shock: :roll: :banghead:

Edited to add: I had forgotten how bad my photo was. Maybe that was the cause of the delay! :biggrinjester:
1/30/09-CHL Class
2/27-App rec'd
4/23-Letter-prints bad
8/01-Signed cards rec'd
10/3-Plastic in hand

Dbrn
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dbrn »

CONGRATULATIONS. :tiphat:

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Yipee!!!!! Super duper congrats tah!!!! That was a loonngggggg wait but worth it. :clapping: :woohoo :anamatedbanana :party: :chldancing

Now it's time for the official Wally Walk! ;-)
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”