June 2009 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

LostInAustin
Posts in topic: 49

Re: June 2009 Applications

Post by LostInAustin »

Congrats williamkevin! Last night I made a list of June 2009 still waiting. I will happily cross you off!!! :thumbs2:
Colt Combat Commander
Colt Govt Model Series 70
Beretta 92FS

joe817
Posts in topic: 94

Post by joe817 »

Super congrats williamkevin! Hope you get the license soon ! :clapping: :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

mikeintexas
Posts in topic: 15

Post by mikeintexas »

Congrats williamkevin! But that's too quick for Harris County, isn't it? Hopefully, my wife's will be here soon. Class in late June, re-do fingerprints in mid August; maybe her's will be here in the next week or two! :txflag:

williamkevin
Posts in topic: 13

Post by williamkevin »

mikeintexas wrote:Congrats williamkevin! But that's too quick for Harris County, isn't it? Hopefully, my wife's will be here soon. Class in late June, re-do fingerprints in mid August; maybe her's will be here in the next week or two! :txflag:
It does seem quick for Harris Co. I wonder if the new law helped speed up the process?

J0KER
Posts in topic: 7

Post by J0KER »

Woo hoo... signs of progress...

This morning I recieved a reply to an email I had sent a few days ago asking, basically, "what's the deal, where is my license". :rules:

I was informed that they are only waiting for my license to be printed at this point. :bigear: :clapping:

So, does anyone have an idea as to when licenses are actually printed? For example; do they do it in batches on a certain day of the week\month, or do they print everyday? Just trying to gauge how long until I actually recieve plastic. :totap: :totap: :totap: :totap: :totap:
05/29/2009 - CHL class
06/01/2009 - Mailed application to DPS
06/02/2009 - Application Received by DPS via USPS
07/07/2009 - PIN Received (via snail mail - dated 7/3) - Processing App
09/24/2009 - Told license is in queue for printing
10/15/2009 - Application Approved
10/19/2009 - Plastic in Hand!

Topic author
timdsmith72
Posts in topic: 43

Post by timdsmith72 »

When they told me that, I got it in about 2 and a half weeks... I guess, though, it would depend on when they sent it to the printers. They had just sent mine when I was told that.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

J0KER wrote:...I was informed that they are only waiting for my license to be printed at this point. :bigear: :clapping:

So, does anyone have an idea as to when licenses are actually printed? For example; do they do it in batches on a certain day of the week\month, or do they print everyday? Just trying to gauge how long until I actually recieve plastic. :totap: :totap: :totap: :totap: :totap:
Those questions are the great mysteries of life, that are asked a lot since I've been here. And that's what drives me nuts. Not knowing the procedure, or paper flow.

What we DO know is that a 3rd party printer does the printing, and they use batch processing to print. What the cut off number is to send to the printer....who knows? It's a secret as far as I can tell. As far as how often they are actually printed? Who knows? I sure don't. Another great mystery of life.

timd's response is what I have seen as atypical of a wait time...... 2 to 2 1/2 weeks.

Personally, I think when we are told "it's at the printers", that it actually isn't, BUT is in the batch WAITING to be sent to the printer's.(I don't have any idea of the turn around time is when it's really there) My theory is that once a processor has completed the file, and everything checks out, and some higher up reviews the processor's work, and makes the final approval, THEN is when it is sent to the batch awaiting transport to the printer.

And while I'm on my soapbox, it's a shame that the website we go to check the status does not have more than 4 messages:
1. Application sent to Applicant(for those of us who apply online)
2. Processing Application
3. Additional Information Required. Letter Sent (I assume there is a message for this...I can't say for sure)
4.. License Issued or Active

I mean how much trouble would it be to insert between #3 & #4: Sent to Printers? Or other status messages? Sure would cut down on the phone calls to them when we want to check our status.

Note: Most everything I've said is MY theory. I have no way of verifying if any of that theory is correct. So take it with a grain of salt. (I just like to type) "rlol" :woohoo :mrgreen:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

lonewolf
Posts in topic: 17

Post by lonewolf »

I believe they use the same printer as they do for Driver's Licenses. The new format for the DHL is identical to the CHL. Perhaps that has some effect.

LostInAustin
Posts in topic: 49

Post by LostInAustin »

Image :sleep
Colt Combat Commander
Colt Govt Model Series 70
Beretta 92FS

USA1
Posts in topic: 81

Post by USA1 »

beleive me LostInAustin , i know how you feel .
but don't worry friend , when that plastic hits your hands all your woes will fade away .

keep the faith . ;-)
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Hang in there LIA ! Keep the faith buddy. You should be getting realllllll close ! :thumbs2:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

williamkevin
Posts in topic: 13

Post by williamkevin »

Taking me completely by surprise, PLASTIC IN THE MAIL TODAY!!!!!

lonewolf
Posts in topic: 17

Post by lonewolf »

Contratulations! Time to check the ammo supply at the local Wally World!! Send pics! OOOORAH! :thewave

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Super congrats williamkevin ! :clapping: :thumbs2: :party:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Bakeek
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Bakeek »

Still waiting...
Called last week Thursday and they said my application was approved and waiting to send to the printers. Hopefully 2 weeks or so. I am picking up my Springfield 1911 GI Micro Compact this week, super exciting!
Anyone get some plastic today or over the weekend?
5/1/2009 - Submitted Application online
7/28/2009 - CHL Class Completed
7/29/2009 - Application Mailed
8/18/2009 - Processing Application

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”