April 2009 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

joe817
Posts in topic: 72

Re: April 2009 Applications

Post by joe817 »

Congrats Rod! :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

USA1
Posts in topic: 249

Post by USA1 »

Rodrockinoff wrote: Yes, I'm in Huntsville... but on THIS side of the Walls!!!
"rlol"
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

texas1234
Posts in topic: 46

Post by texas1234 »

USA1 if your BG checks are done you should get a change in status soon. Hang in there. You will get it soon. For me the fun wore of soon and the realization of the responsibilty set in pretty quickly. Its still great to have my license.
6th Generation Texan

btm7687
Posts in topic: 45

Post by btm7687 »

USA1,

I can't believe you still don't have your plastic! I came back here after being off for a couple weeks expecting to see your status as completed, but am in disbelief. Hang in there and I assume since your BG check came back you should be making progress very rapidly at this point.
Bryan M.

"The dead only know one thing: it is better to be alive."

USA1

Post by USA1 »

Thanks
texas1234,and btm7687
i knew it would take this long ,maybe longer still..
but im getting a little feeling that my number may be called soon. fingers are crossed

if i can remember ,i will let you know when i get it :mrgreen:
Last edited by USA1 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dexdahex
Posts in topic: 85

Post by Dexdahex »

Rodrockinoff wrote:Took the class on April 18th. Mailed on the 20th. Been looking at "processing application" and was up to 95 days BUT today when I checked on line it said "Application Complete--License issued." Now we will see how long it takes for me to get it. It will probably come while I am on a week-long family vacation, beginning Saturday. Had the mail stopped. Hope to see it when I get home.

Whatever. Glad it's close to over. Sometimes "closure" is a very elusive thing. I guess I might have a little more patience in my advanced years than some on this forum. I never called or griped and I'm close to done fairly quickly compared to other counties (I'm in Walker County... two counties north of Houston). I took advantage of the senior discount, by the way, so maybe this option does NOT slow things down (as mention on previous posts). I thing the problem here is not only the volume of applications, but the relative population density of various counties and therefore the slowness of background checks. Harris county folks have my sympathy. Too many folks in that area. As we say here in Walker county... "Life's too short to live in Houston!!!"
congrats... :anamatedbanana
"Every Citizen Shall Have The Right To Keep And Bear Arms In The Lawful Defense Of Himself Or The State"

CHL Holder
NRA Member

Fabrique Nationale Herstal (FNH) FN-40

1993gt40
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 1993gt40 »

First post though I have been lurking for a long time. I thought I'd chime in with some good news.

My SO received her plastic today. Dont know too many more details around the process as she hasn't been watching her application as closely as I have but here is what I can tell you:

Turned in to DPS office in person 4/13. (both of us)
Plastic arrived today 7/24 (for hers)

(not sure how many days that it but it's probably close to 100)

She did NOT require a Harris Co background check but mine does so I fully expected to see hers first. This will actually be a good comparison of Harris / non-Harris because we both took the same class, have a clean background, and turned them in at the exact same time in the DPS office in Austin. Neither of us had any issues with our application (good fp's and pictures, etc). Neither of us have called anyone to inquire about our apps.

We can see a side-by-side comparison of the two now.

USA1

Post by USA1 »

1993gt40 wrote:
We can see a side-by-side comparison of the two now.
great idea !

and welcome to the forum :tiphat:

since you've been lurking here for a while , you are probably familiar with a few of us . :oops:
im the one who usually keeps to myself , mostly i just read . :evil2:

1993gt40

Post by 1993gt40 »

usa1 wrote: great idea !

and welcome to the forum :tiphat:

since you've been lurking here for a while , you are probably familiar with a few of us . :oops:
With 10.79 posts per day! :) I think you win the most anxious award! :smilelol5:

I know I have to be getting close, I'm trying to figure out what to carry when/if it ever arrives.

Chip
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Chip »

1993gt40 wrote:We can see a side-by-side comparison of the two now.
Check my .sig for another comparison. My wife and I took the class together, I sent the applications in at the same time, we both went to "Processing Application" on the same day.... the Harris County bg check is the only difference.

I've been told that the DPS office in Austin received my completed bg check this past Monday, though, and that they'd be sending it to print on Tuesday, so hopefully the waiting game is almost over.
I will add, as a fifth circumstance in the situation of the House of Representatives, restraining them from oppressive measures, that they can make no law which will not have its full operation on themselves and their friends, as well as on the great mass of the society. - J Madison, Federalist #57

1993gt40

Post by 1993gt40 »

Chip wrote:
1993gt40 wrote:We can see a side-by-side comparison of the two now.
Check my .sig for another comparison. My wife and I took the class together, I sent the applications in at the same time, we both went to "Processing Application" on the same day.... the Harris County bg check is the only difference.

I've been told that the DPS office in Austin received my completed bg check this past Monday, though, and that they'd be sending it to print on Tuesday, so hopefully the waiting game is almost over.
Looks like she got hers exceedingly fast! Going by that it looks like DPS has actually slowed down between the 1'st and the 13'th!

joe817

Post by joe817 »

usa1 wrote: since you've been lurking here for a while , you are probably familiar with a few of us . :oops:
***faints***

Welcome to the forum! :tiphat:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

USA1

Post by USA1 »

1993gt40 wrote: With 10.79 posts per day! :) I think you win the most anxious award! :smilelol5:
...it seems someone has been snooping into my profile . :nono: :mrgreen:

firehiker
Posts in topic: 5

Post by firehiker »

I checked online three days ago (Tue, July 24) and my application was approved, or "license issued"...
However, my father, who went through every step with me, side by side, down to the return receipt at the Post Office...is STILL in the "processing application" stage. I am wondering, could this be because of his "SPECIAL CONDITIONS: E (Senior Citizen)"? He checked that because the fee was considerably less, and he is, after all, a Sr. Citizen...
Has anyone else been in this situation? Our instructor was awesome; he walked us ALL through our forms, checked EVERY line, and would let people start over with a clean application if they misprinted anything, so I KNOW there was no error or conflict that would have kicked it back.

Dad is on vacation, and I messed up by calling him with the "good news" before checking his status...I feel horrible and am wondering if this would warrant a phone call to Austin?
:headscratch

Oh, one more thing...we were told that once it says LICENSED ISSUED we were good to carry...that the police would have it flagged in their computers if we were pulled over...yet my cop friend says I currently have no flag...so for now, NO CARRY.
04-18-09 CHL Class
04-20-09 App. Packet Mailed to Austin
04-23-09 Austin Rec'd Packet
04-02-09 Pin Mailed from Austin
04-08-09 Pin Received; "Processing Application"
07-22-09 "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"
07-25-09 Plastic in Hand

joe817

Post by joe817 »

firehiker, your LEO friend is right. You cannot start carrying until AFTER you receive your license(in hand).

See p.69 of FAQ's in the 'Texas Concealed handgun Laws and Selected Statutes'.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”