Harris County Applicants

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

FAAPOD
Posts in topic: 14

Re: Harris County Applicants

Post by FAAPOD »

Totally Frustrated wrote:I emailed and snail mailed all. I, nor anyone else should have had to. After only getting the standard response from the Govs office, I finally heard From DPS saying should be done within a week. that was four days ago so we'll see. I honestly am tired of the entire process, and am not sweating it any longer. I guess its OK for the state to break the law. just don't you do it though!

I am going to remember this come the next election that's for sure.
I see now that you're in Kingwood. I'm in Atascocita. Is Joe Crabb your State Rep? If you don't get your license in a few days, I would definitely call Rep Crabb's Kingwood office. That seems to be the catalyst that got the ball moving for me. I spoke with Phillip Ivy over there.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Totally Frustrated
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Totally Frustrated »

Yes he is, and I will Call tomorrow. Thanks

HGWC
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by HGWC »

KingOfDirk wrote:Thanks, HGWC. I know you're happy for me, despite the odd feeling I get that somehow I've done something to tick you off.
You haven't ticked me off, but I just don't think the DPS needs to be complimented for their performance. They're doing a terrible job. They're violating our rights, and in addition, many people have reported just how rude they've been on the phone. I am glad you finally got your license.
If my application had gotten special treatment, I'd have had my CHL in hand in November. Instead I waited quietly for the period allowed by statute to expire, and then made it my mission to get one of my employees to find out why DPS hadn't done their job.
You did get special treatment if you got yours in 85 days. We know from many reports that when the state representatives get involved, they send our one person digging through stacks of applications to find yours. They bring yours to the front of the line, and the one person doing the background checks processes the expedited application ahead of all the other applications that were waiting in line. This special treatment due to political pressure is no doubt slowing down everyone else' applications. I don't fault you. It's your right. I did it myself.

I do fault the DPS. We all paid our money. We all deserve to have our applications processed fairly in the order they were received. That yours and mine were given special treatment because of political pressure is not something we should be complimenting them on. Instead of playing politics, they should be addressing the problem. They should be defining the BC in such a way that it can be completed within the mandatory time frame. If that means eliminating it, they're empowered to do that. They're appeasing political pressure in order to continue to get away with illegally denying our rights. That's not something we should compliment them for.
In the meantime, I absolutely refuse to apologize for demanding service for my $140. It's a lot of money to me.
You have absolutely no reason to apologize to anyone. The DPS does.

HGWC
Banned

Post by HGWC »

By the way, we just had a post in the August thread where the gentleman reports his "expedited" application took almost 60 days. Looks like while they were expediting an 85 day application, they were delaying an expedited 161 day application.

HGWC
Banned

Post by HGWC »

Kawabuggy is now reporting a 274 day delay in Harris county.

Kawabuggy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kawabuggy »

275 now! The 274 was yesterdays news!

If I make the record, will everyone on this site give me a penny for each day that I waited? With that money, I could buy some ammo, and perhaps a new gun at this rate... :clapping: :hurry:

that1otherdude
Posts in topic: 6

Post by that1otherdude »

Kawabuggy wrote:275 now! The 274 was yesterdays news!

If I make the record, will everyone on this site give me a penny for each day that I waited? With that money, I could buy some ammo, and perhaps a new gun at this rate... :clapping: :hurry:
275?!?! Only if you have lived in every single county in Texas is this excusable! How many times have you contacted reps?
"Anyone who thinks that a gun has a personality that makes it apt for evil should admit the fact that he is not making sense, and therefore should stay out of adult discussions."
-Col. Jeff Cooper

:txflag:

Totally Frustrated

FAAPOD wrote:
Totally Frustrated wrote:I emailed and snail mailed all. I, nor anyone else should have had to. After only getting the standard response from the Govs office, I finally heard From DPS saying should be done within a week. that was four days ago so we'll see. I honestly am tired of the entire process, and am not sweating it any longer. I guess its OK for the state to break the law. just don't you do it though!

I see now that you're in Kingwood. I'm in Atascocita. Is Joe Crabb your State Rep? If you don't get your license in a few days, I would definitely call Rep Crabb's Kingwood office. That seems to be the catalyst that got the ball moving for me. I spoke with Phillip Ivy over there.
I made another contact to Mr. Crabbs office yesterday, Mr. Phillip Ivey was very helpful and stated he would check on the status again and have DPS call me. Today I just got a call from the DPS in Austin stating the BC was completed and they would be overnight delivering the license. it's not in hand yet, and until it is I'm not celebrating. Hopefully tomorrow evening I'll be able to add some smileys to the board when I log on.

that1otherdude

Post by that1otherdude »

Totally Frustrated wrote:
FAAPOD wrote:

I made another contact to Mr. Crabbs office yesterday, Mr. Phillip Ivey was very helpful and stated he would check on the status again and have DPS call me. Today I just got a call from the DPS in Austin stating the BC was completed and they would be overnight delivering the license. it's not in hand yet, and until it is I'm not celebrating. Hopefully tomorrow evening I'll be able to add some smileys to the board when I log on.

Right on... have fun doing "The Walk"
"Anyone who thinks that a gun has a personality that makes it apt for evil should admit the fact that he is not making sense, and therefore should stay out of adult discussions."
-Col. Jeff Cooper

Totally Frustrated

TOTALLY FRUSTRATED is changing his name to FINALLY SATISFIED.

Plastic in hand.

Class taken: 8-23-08
Application sent: 9-3-08
Application Received: 9-5-08
Sent to Harris County for BC: 9-6-08
BC completed: 2-4-09
License delivered: 2-5-09

Only took Harris County 153 days for BC.
They should be proud.

I was gonna add a bunch of smilies to this, but the one on my face right now will have to do.
I don't want to spend a lot of time on this because

IT'S TIME FOR MY WALLY WALK!!!

HGWC
Banned

Post by HGWC »

Congratulations TF! I can be happy with you, but don't sell yourself short being satisfied with how the state has treated you.

Here's a letter I got from the DPS today just to keep me steaming some more:

"The Department is in receipt of your e-mail correspondence to the Governor's Office regarding your application for a license to carry a concealed handgun. We regret the delay in processing your license. During the time your application was submitted, we received a large influx of applications, which caused a delay in the initial processing of your application. Additionally, a local records check was required in a county affected by the catastrophic events and aftermath of Hurricane Ike, which further delayed your application.

We regret any inconvenience this may have caused. Our records indicate that your license was mailed on December 2, 2008. It is our hope that you have received your license prior to the date of this letter. If you have not received the license or if you have any further questions, please feel free to contact Jan Coffey, Manager, Concealed Handgun Licensing Bureau at jan.coffey@txdps.state.tx.lls."

What a sorry line of lies and excuses.

Totally Frustrated

HGWC.

Trust me, if you go back and read the posts I have submitted, you will see I have been very critical of how the State has treated me, and I will remember it. I was being sarcastic when I wrote they should be proud.

Did i read your post correctly, and it says the state mailed your license two months ago, and you never received it???

that1otherdude

Post by that1otherdude »

Totally Frustrated wrote:HGWC.

Trust me, if you go back and read the posts I have submitted, you will see I have been very critical of how the State has treated me, and I will remember it. I was being sarcastic when I wrote they should be proud.

Did i read your post correctly, and it says the state mailed your license two months ago, and you never received it???

Come on man... did you do the walk yet? I need to live vicariously through someone else :lol:

anyway congrats again on the plastic.
-Col. Jeff Cooper

HGWC
Banned

Post by HGWC »

Totally Frustrated wrote:HGWC.

Oh no, I knew from your moniker how you really felt. I just see this rationalization about the indefinite delay, and it's easy to fall into that after you have the plastic. Keep your moniker as it is. Wear it as a badge of honor!

Yes, I did get my plastic after 111 days. It's just that even their apology came 60 days late!

JTB59
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JTB59 »

The approval process in Harris County must be improving. My application was approved in about 68 days. A friend who took the class with me had problems with fingerprints, which took him about 2 weeks to correct and send back, and he received his card about 3 days after I did. This was without any letters or calls, so hopefully the process is improving. Good luck to all!

11/1 - Class Taken
11/4 - Packet Mailed
11/20 - Date on Acknowledgement Letter from State
1/27 - License Issued
1/31 - License Received in Mail

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”