Harris County Applicants

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

my04heritage
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Harris County Applicants

Post by my04heritage »

pdubyoo wrote:
Jasheeky wrote:
pdubyoo wrote: Jasheeky, when you e-mailed the Gov's office, what exactly did you say that got things rolling that quick? Or is it just a coincidence?
I sure do wish I saved a copy of that email. Not in my sentbox because I used their online form to send the email.
I basically told them my time table starting from mid June, how I paid them, and that Ike was being used as an excuse. I also mentioned that was worried after the elections that things would change. I asked him to muscle dps/harris county around, because by law it should be issued within 60 days of submission, or at least a reason for denial.

of course my letter was more professional than the example above, as well as more patriotic.
I did send a letter to the Gov's office, just like you mentioned, through the state website, and pretty much said things along the same lines. I did get a response from Dede Keith (Constituent Communication Div) from the Gov's office today. I mentioned that DPS-Austin was waiting on DPS-Harris County for the BC. But I also mentioned that the contact at DPS-Austin told me that DPS-Harris County was notoriously slow, even before Ike. That seemed to have struck a cord, because the Gov's office has asked Major Stan Clark (Interim Director of DPS) to personally look into the matter and report back to the Gov's office. This was mentioned in the response I got from Dede Keith. I was told that I will be updated when the Gov's office gets their response.

I hope this has some positive effect on ALL Harris County applications that are being held-up due to the Ike excuse. Time will tell.
I sent an email to Gov. Rick Perry's office and got the same generic letter asking Major Stan Clark to personally took into the mater also. I think this is sent out to appease the general public. Harris county did complete my background investigation and my license was issued aprox. 128 days after being submitted.

mrbill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mrbill »

I'm thinking I should probably start contacting people at this point....

Class: June 28th
Sent Packet to DPS: July 5th
Packet Received by DPS: July 8th
PIN received: August 12th
Still Processing: November 19 (day 135)

Morgan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Morgan »

The info packet you get says "do not contact us for 60 days" so yeah, if you're over the 60 days "processing time" I'd contact them. It's my intention to contact them on day 61 if my status doesn't change from "processing" to "complete and mailing" or whatever... assuming I haven't heard from them.

FlynJay
Posts in topic: 5

Post by FlynJay »

I wounder what their excuse is for not processing your background check in the 91 days proceeding the storm.
stayloe101st wrote:Don't feel bad, I went thru the course June 7th and DPS had all my info on the 13th of June. Still waiting on my background check. I contacted the Governor’s office and my local State rep and still no help other than an explanation of why since the hurricane that’s why the back ground checks are behind. According to DPS which I just got off the phone with everything else is fine.
Some of you may have also noticed that the Hurricane IKE excuse letter has been removed from the Texas Department of Public Safety website.
IANAL, what I write should not be taken as Legal Advice.
"Why I may disagree with what you say, I’ll fight to the death your right to say it."

pdubyoo
Posts in topic: 6

Post by pdubyoo »

Morgan wrote:The info packet you get says "do not contact us for 60 days" so yeah, if you're over the 60 days "processing time" I'd contact them. It's my intention to contact them on day 61 if my status doesn't change from "processing" to "complete and mailing" or whatever... assuming I haven't heard from them.
The fact that you are in the DFW area is definately on your side. There are a couple of guys in the "September" thread, from North Texas, that got their plastic in 55-65 days. Those of us in Harris County have fallen into the black hole. I'm pinging Austin a couple of times a week these days. I doubt it's doing any good, but it gives me something to do while I'm waiting.
Nov. 2010...Check!
Nov. 2012...Don't Give Up!
Jan. 2013...True Change!

stayloe101st

Post by stayloe101st »

FlynJay wrote:I wounder what their excuse is for not processing your background check in the 91 days proceeding the storm.
stayloe101st wrote:Don't feel bad, I went thru the course June 7th and DPS had all my info on the 13th of June. Still waiting on my background check. I contacted the Governor’s office and my local State rep and still no help other than an explanation of why since the hurricane that’s why the back ground checks are behind. According to DPS which I just got off the phone with everything else is fine.
Some of you may have also noticed that the Hurricane IKE excuse letter has been removed from the Texas Department of Public Safety website.
Thanks, I saw that the other day.

pdubyoo

Post by pdubyoo »

Harris County CHL applicants...see my latest post today in the September Waiting Room thread...enlightening info!

-pdubyoo
Nov. 2010...Check!
Nov. 2012...Don't Give Up!
Jan. 2013...True Change!

ProjectS15
Posts in topic: 11

Post by ProjectS15 »

looks like i found the Harris county thread.
Harris County
Took CHL Class Sept 27th
Mailed Application to DPS Sept 29th
Application received by DPS Oct 3rd
Processing Oct 3rd
Emailed District 135 Representative Dec 11th
Emailed Texas Senator Dan Patrick Dec 11th
Tammy Called Dec 23rd
Application Completed Dec 29th
Plastic in hand Dec 30th

ForTehNguyen

Post by ForTehNguyen »

yup been waiting since June, almost 6 months
CHL class taken: 6/08/08
CHL application received in Austin: 6/12/08
Current Status: Processing Application
Application Completed - license issued or certificate active: 1/06/09

XD 9mm Service, XD 9mm Subcompact, AR15 16" Midlength, AK47

agbullet2k1
Posts in topic: 9

Post by agbullet2k1 »

Wife is at 7 1/2 months. Almost feel like we're waiting on a child. As bad as Harris County is, I still haven't heard much on Galveston County BG checks (our residence).
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

HGWC
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by HGWC »

pdubyoo wrote:Harris County CHL applicants...see my latest post today in the September Waiting Room thread...enlightening info!
Yes very enlightening. So, one DPS trooper is doing the background checks for all of Harris county, the most populous county in the state that includes the fourth largest city in the country. One person, and then they pull that one person off onto other duties for weeks. This is what you call the "good faith" effort the DPS is required to put forth by law.

So, I'm curious. What does this one person do to perform a background check on every applicant in Harris county that is so valuable that the citizens of Texas can't possibly do without? At every gun store and gun range in Harris county dozens of people are taking the class every day. In August, I think I had to call four or five places to find a class within a two week period. All the other classes were booked up solid. I wonder how many new applications come in every day? I'm just trying to imagine her day. How many applications per day, and how much time per application? She can't possibly be spending any meaningful amount of time on each individual application, and what ever she's doing in that time can't be anything of value. Either that, or they are falling behind exponentially.

I contacted my senator Mike Jackson and representative Joe Driver, and they asked for my application to be expedited. I don't know if it had an impact, but I heard back from Mr Driver's office in a week or two that. I had the plastic in my hand just a few days after that, 111 days since my application. You know what that means for all the applications I may have gotten bumped in front of.

Pdubyoo, if you make contact with your DPS lieutenant again, please ask him what exactly this woman does for each application and how long it takes to process it.

ProjectS15
Posts in topic: 11

Post by ProjectS15 »

:iagree:
I'm down with contacting our local representatives to see if we can get some additional help with this "back log" of applications for Harris county.
Harris County
Took CHL Class Sept 27th
Mailed Application to DPS Sept 29th
Application received by DPS Oct 3rd
Processing Oct 3rd
Emailed District 135 Representative Dec 11th
Emailed Texas Senator Dan Patrick Dec 11th
Tammy Called Dec 23rd
Application Completed Dec 29th
Plastic in hand Dec 30th

agbullet2k1
Posts in topic: 9

Post by agbullet2k1 »

I'm curious....

DPS handles CHL applications, but blames backlog on local checks in counties, also conducted by DPS. So DPS passes blame from its left hand to its right? Can't DPS just assign a couple more checkers? I mean, it IS their agency doing the checks right?
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

mrbill

Post by mrbill »

After another worthless call to DPS today ("Gulf coast area has been delayed... it shouldnt be too long now.."), I gave up and wrote a short note to my state senator and state rep.
It probably won't have any effect, but it makes me feel better.

Class: June 28th
Sent Packet: July 5th
Packet Received: July 8th
PIN received: August 12th
Still Processing: December 8 (day 158)

wackjum
Posts in topic: 3

Post by wackjum »

I'm with you. I've been waiting since mid-June.

I received the form letter from the Governor. Unfortunately, my state rep was voted out of office so he has not been too helpful. I see people from September get expedited ahead. I was really hoping intervention wouldn't be necessary, but it seems like the only way to make it happen. I may just have to wait until the new representative is in office.
CHL Class: 6/7/08
Mailed to DPS: 6/10/08
Received by DPS: 6/12/08
Processing: 8/13/08
Contacted Tx Sen. Dan Patrick: 12/12/08
Call from Sen. Patrick's office: 12/19/08
Call from DPS auditor: 12/19/08
Call from DPS auditor: 12/29/08
License Completed and Issued: 1/2/09

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”